mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Courrières Mine Disaster Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,641
Courrières Mine Disaster

The Courrières mine disaster, the worst mining accident in European history, killed 1,099 miners in Northern France. It is generally agreed that the majority of the deaths and destruction were caused by an explosion of dust which swept through the mine, however, it has never been ascertained what caused the coal dust to ignite in the first place. A group of 13 trapped survivors, later known as the rescapés, was found by rescuers 20 days after the explosion. How had they survived? More...
striker
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 11:06:30 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
horrible way to die
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 11:49:07 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
The rescapés survived by slaughtering one of the mine ponies. The Émile Zola classic Germinal comes to mind reading this story. What a bleak life. Boo hoo!
Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:08:45 PM

Neurons: 5,949,238
Coal mine disaster happen today worldwide still. Most of them can be avoided if money is spent on safety, technology is applied, and rules and regulations strictly followed.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:44:45 PM

Neurons: 7,687,248

The Courrières horror illustrates the terrible things that can happen when companies and industries value short-term profits over lives and safety. The tragedy that spread across northern France a century ago is a reminder that working people and their allies must remain forever vigilant to protect their lives and livelihoods. Little has changed today. Mining disasters still occur with regularity in many parts of the world, and they are almost invariably accompanied with accusations of negligence or corporate wrongdoing.
The victims of the Courrières disaster are very numerous, but sadly not unique in history.

Some of the surviving miners simply refused to give up. Trapped in the darkness, they ate food from lunch pails that were left behind by dead or fled comrades, then slaughtered a horse that was down in the tunnels with them. Twenty days after the disaster, on March 30, a group of these miners finally managed to be heard by someone else and rescued. Thirteen emerged alive. Five days later one final survivor was found. By then hope had faded for anyone else.

http://seanmunger.com/2014/03/10/fire-in-the-dark-the-astonishing-story-of-the-courrieres-mine-disaster/
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 10:55:49 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Very sad.