mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Will--Shall Options
Ketardously
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:09:43 PM

Neurons: 207
Here's a question for all of you native English speakers. How do one use Shall nowadays?
I've always used I will, we will and so on, and I took it for granted that the abbreviation I'll meant I will.

Then recently I read that correct usage is
I, we shall
He, she, it, they will

Does anyone use shall nowadays? Is it only to me it sounds archaic? Honestly, up until just now, I had no idea that shall was used with the same meaning as will. And is it then incorrect to say I will...? (but everyone does, right?).

Please, help me with this one!
oxymoron
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:34:15 PM

Neurons: 845
Both are perfectly acceptable and in current daily use. How does one use shall.
Ketardously
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:45:44 PM

Neurons: 207
oxymoron wrote:
Both are perfectly acceptable and in current daily use. How does one use shall.
Thanks, sloppy me d'oh!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:47:42 PM

Neurons: 595,331
"I will die! Nobody shall help me!"
EM777
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:55:57 PM

Neurons: 99
"sista...you s h a l l go to the ball!"

"Shall I call ahead and confirm, Sir?"

"whatever SHALL I wear??!!""

Jazzy
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:56:14 PM

Neurons: 388
If I remember correctly, shall is used in place of will when using the future tense (especially when one doesn't know if an event could happen or not). For example, one could say, "I shall go to the store later today." Personally, I don't use it much because it seems pretentious to me.
bisurge
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:45:39 PM

Neurons: 15
I only know this from taking Latin.
"Will" and "shall" are both used as a "gerundive of necessity or obligation". Which simply means the subject will DO something.
"It is necessary for me to go to the store" has the same meaning as "I will/shall go to the store".
However, only "will" is the proper word to use with the future. "He will die". Obligation or necessity is not expressed here.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:47:56 PM

Neurons: 1,222
Those of you who paid attention minutely to the posts of vr091073,
you might have noticed him using WHILST in the place OF WHILE. why? because he is a product of colonial and medieval English.I love his style and admire his depth but I regret that I couldn't emulate or replicate him when I write, because of my acculturation with modern American English.

In colonial days the Master—slave relationship called for certain manner of speech and the words and phrases used then were in deference to each others status in society.The word "shall" was prevalent in that era like "Might" in this era. since English is spoken in different eras, specific to the area and conditions you live in,it is almost impossible to gain currency to many words and phrases.

This is an unauthenticated opinion of mine. Take it or leave it but
don't quote me,please.
Khan
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:37:48 AM

The diffence between shall and will is that shall is used with i and we while will is used with he,she,you,they,noun etc.Its used otherwise like i or we will and he , she , i , we shall show the stress and emphasis on your statement.
TazMage
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:33:44 AM

Neurons: 108
bisurge wrote:
I only know this from taking Latin.
"Will" and "shall" are both used as a "gerundive of necessity or obligation". Which simply means the subject will DO something.
"It is necessary for me to go to the store" has the same meaning as "I will/shall go to the store".
However, only "will" is the proper word to use with the future. "He will die". Obligation or necessity is not expressed here.

I beg to differ. "He will die". should be "He shall die." Especially if it is the obligation or necessity of the State to execute the person for real or perceived crimes against said State. But that is being a bit picky me thinks. It really doesn't matter in day to day speaking, and I'm sure no one notices those things unless someone over uses "shall" because of it's lack of use, it seems questionable as to when to use it.
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:40:49 AM

Neurons: 484,288
We shall overcome.
We shall overcome.
We shall overcome some day........
oxymoron
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:00:41 AM

Neurons: 845
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Why do you find it necessary to over complicate something, thus mistifying the OP?
Clement
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:06:13 AM

Neurons: 264
Bisurge comes closest to discerning the difference. The difference is very subtle but differ they do. Will is simply the future tense of to do. Shall carries a sense of promise or as Bisurge noted, "Obligation or necessity..."
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:32:08 PM

Neurons: 57,415
Oxy - I kinda agree. This seems to be a trend of late in this forum, though.

In the spirit of which (but not, I hope, confusing things any further) I will simply offer the observation that nowadays "shall" remains more a British English construct than an American English one. C'est tout.
vr091073
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 3:21:10 AM

Neurons: 720
Isaac Samuel wrote:
Those of you who paid attention minutely to the posts of vr091073,
you might have noticed him using WHILST in the place OF WHILE. why? because he is a product of colonial and medieval English.I love his style and admire his depth but I regret that I couldn't emulate or replicate him when I write, because of my acculturation with modern American English.

Well spotted, Isaac, and the cause you assign to my choice of lingo is as correct and accurate.