mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/7/2009
Posts: 32,382
Neurons: 96,324
Location: Inside Farlex computers
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)
sandeep patra
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:35:21 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/25/2014
Posts: 160
Neurons: 122,829
Location: Koraput, Orissa, India
Truly said laughter is the best medicine to forget any pain
Mehrdad77
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:03:03 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/22/2014
Posts: 1,675
Neurons: 478,043
Location: Tehrān, Tehran, Iran
I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.
Robert Fulghum
Mehrdad77
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:04:07 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/22/2014
Posts: 1,675
Neurons: 478,043
Location: Tehrān, Tehran, Iran
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
Charlie Chaplin
Mehrdad77
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:04:48 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/22/2014
Posts: 1,675
Neurons: 478,043
Location: Tehrān, Tehran, Iran
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Mehrdad77
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:06:22 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/22/2014
Posts: 1,675
Neurons: 478,043
Location: Tehrān, Tehran, Iran

To jealousy, nothing is more frightful than laughter.
Francoise Sagan
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:09:25 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/28/2015
Posts: 11,502
Neurons: 4,433,613
Location: Kolkata, Bengal, India
Laughter which cannot be suppressed is catching. Sooner or later it washes away our defences, and undermines our dignity, and we join in it -- ashamed of our weakness, and embittered against the cause of its exposure, but no matter, we have to join in, there is no help for it.
- "Indiantown"
Corner of Josh
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:43:34 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 1/17/2012
Posts: 100
Neurons: 37,558
Location: Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Part of nature's wondrous balance.
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:43:35 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/26/2013
Posts: 3,372
Neurons: 331,090
Location: Minsk, Minskaya Voblasts', Belarus
First degree of assault? Yeah, sometimes it may be as harmful as hell…
Samantha Betts
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 6:00:45 AM

Rank: Member

Joined: 9/7/2014
Posts: 69
Neurons: 67,449
Location: Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Humor is a healing emotionDancing
Omar Mariani
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 6:18:44 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/25/2014
Posts: 655
Neurons: 76,546
Location: Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires F.D., Argentina
Both tears and laughter can be infectious; nobody minds the latter unless the former is tears of joy.


Mirth is God's medicine. Everybody ought to bathe in it. ~ Henry Ward Beecher
Sri Harsha
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 7:20:57 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 1/7/2015
Posts: 20
Neurons: 11,356
Location: Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India
Laughter is the thing which can make a man live longer!!!!!!
karunadas
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 8:54:41 AM

Rank: Member

Joined: 2/21/2015
Posts: 99
Neurons: 32,398
Location: Kozhikode, Kerala, India
laughter is one flower which fell out from the box of Pandora .
striker
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:05:18 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/30/2014
Posts: 1,698
Neurons: 4,972,229
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
have a good laugh everyday you probaably live longer
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:48:42 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/4/2014
Posts: 8,241
Neurons: 6,704,770
Location: Bogotá, Bogota D.C., Colombia
Here the context of the quote from: The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain

" The Mysterious Stranger"

Chapter X
........
There spoke the race!" he said; "always ready to claim what it hasn't got, and mistake its ounce of brass filings for a ton of gold-dust. You have a mongrel perception of humor, nothing more; a multitude of you possess that. This multitude see the comic side of a thousand low-grade and trivial things--broad incongruities, mainly; grotesqueries, absurdities, evokers of the horse-laugh. The ten thousand high-grade comicalities which exist in the world are sealed from their dull vision. Will a day come when the race will detect the funniness of these juvenilities and laugh at them--and by laughing at them destroy them? For your race, in its poverty, has unquestionably one really effective weapon--laughter. Power, money, persuasion, supplication, persecution --these can lift at a colossal humbug--push it a little--weaken it a little, century by century; but only laughter can blow it to rags and atoms at a blast. Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. You are always fussing and fighting with your other weapons. Do you ever use that one? No; you leave it lying rusting. As a race, do you ever use it at all? No; you lack sense and the courage."

Read the book here : http://www.enotes.com/topics/mysterious-stranger/etext/chapter-10
acromo
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:19:23 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 2/19/2015
Posts: 20
Neurons: 1,108,465
Location: Pasto, Narino, Colombia
sandeep patra wrote:
Truly said laughter is the best medicine to forget any pain


I agree with you!!

Applause
acromo
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:23:00 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 2/19/2015
Posts: 20
Neurons: 1,108,465
Location: Pasto, Narino, Colombia
Mehrdad77 wrote:
I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.
Robert Fulghum


Amazing!!

Applause
acromo
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:25:43 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 2/19/2015
Posts: 20
Neurons: 1,108,465
Location: Pasto, Narino, Colombia
monamagda wrote:
Here the context of the quote from: The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain

" The Mysterious Stranger"

Chapter X
........
There spoke the race!" he said; "always ready to claim what it hasn't got, and mistake its ounce of brass filings for a ton of gold-dust. You have a mongrel perception of humor, nothing more; a multitude of you possess that. This multitude see the comic side of a thousand low-grade and trivial things--broad incongruities, mainly; grotesqueries, absurdities, evokers of the horse-laugh. The ten thousand high-grade comicalities which exist in the world are sealed from their dull vision. Will a day come when the race will detect the funniness of these juvenilities and laugh at them--and by laughing at them destroy them? For your race, in its poverty, has unquestionably one really effective weapon--laughter. Power, money, persuasion, supplication, persecution --these can lift at a colossal humbug--push it a little--weaken it a little, century by century; but only laughter can blow it to rags and atoms at a blast. Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. You are always fussing and fighting with your other weapons. Do you ever use that one? No; you leave it lying rusting. As a race, do you ever use it at all? No; you lack sense and the courage."

Read the book here : http://www.enotes.com/topics/mysterious-stranger/etext/chapter-10


Awesome!!

Applause
Gary98
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 4:09:13 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/23/2014
Posts: 1,687
Neurons: 5,609,568
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Daemon wrote:
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)


The problem is you can't make yourself laugh when you need it. Once you can smile at anything, the whole world become flat in front of you.
Mayra isabel
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 4:20:22 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 12/11/2014
Posts: 25
Neurons: 3,468
One feels very much relieved after a good lol. As if our spirit and mind had lost some heavy weight.
Barnacle Barney Bill
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 6:17:48 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/9/2014
Posts: 350
Neurons: 117,020
Location: Chelsea, Massachusetts, United States
Bully_rus wrote:
First degree of assault? Yeah, sometimes it may be as harmful as hell…

Laughter is a double edge sword. Laughing at another's misfortune or blunder can cause anger and shame in that person. I do agree, however, that laughter is the best medicine. Laughter directed at a politician is usually a career killer except of course if your Sarah Palin who just seems to fumble on and continue to rake in lucrative speaking fees on the "wing nut" speaking circuit.
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 6:44:52 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/4/2014
Posts: 8,241
Neurons: 6,704,770
Location: Bogotá, Bogota D.C., Colombia
acromo wrote:
monamagda wrote:
Here the context of the quote from: The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain

" The Mysterious Stranger"

Chapter X
........
There spoke the race!" he said; "always ready to claim what it hasn't got, and mistake its ounce of brass filings for a ton of gold-dust. You have a mongrel perception of humor, nothing more; a multitude of you possess that. This multitude see the comic side of a thousand low-grade and trivial things--broad incongruities, mainly; grotesqueries, absurdities, evokers of the horse-laugh. The ten thousand high-grade comicalities which exist in the world are sealed from their dull vision. Will a day come when the race will detect the funniness of these juvenilities and laugh at them--and by laughing at them destroy them? For your race, in its poverty, has unquestionably one really effective weapon--laughter. Power, money, persuasion, supplication, persecution --these can lift at a colossal humbug--push it a little--weaken it a little, century by century; but only laughter can blow it to rags and atoms at a blast. Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. You are always fussing and fighting with your other weapons. Do you ever use that one? No; you leave it lying rusting. As a race, do you ever use it at all? No; you lack sense and the courage."

Read the book here : http://www.enotes.com/topics/mysterious-stranger/etext/chapter-10


Awesome!!

Applause


GRACIAS! Thanks!

[image not available]

Καroιiηε Frαzão
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 7:00:15 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 2/10/2015
Posts: 8
Neurons: 23,718
Location: Cotia, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Great! "Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand."
Applause Applause
Dr WWWW
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:05:41 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/14/2011
Posts: 264
Neurons: 10,072
Location: Colonie, New York, United States
Actually, The Mysterious Stranger is his darkest tale and, to me, it seemed that in that story he had run out of laughter.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:34:36 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/26/2014
Posts: 1,405
Neurons: 37,072
Location: Apache Junction, Arizona, United States
Excellent...
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:34:37 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/26/2014
Posts: 1,405
Neurons: 37,072
Location: Apache Junction, Arizona, United States
Excellent...
ddaniel
Posted: Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:58:09 PM

Rank: Member

Joined: 11/12/2014
Posts: 56
Neurons: 14,538
Location: Pooler, Georgia, United States
Spoken as the true master of wit that he was
Saber.A
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2015 8:57:15 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 5/27/2014
Posts: 90
Neurons: 125,845
Location: Tabrīz, East Azarbaijan, Iran
assault of laughter .. WOW
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.