mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The new rage is to say that the government is the cause of all our problems, and if only we had no government, we'd have no... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 96,540
The new rage is to say that the government is the cause of all our problems, and if only we had no government, we'd have no problems. I can tell you, that contradicts evidence, history, and common sense.

Bill Clinton (1946-)
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:23:36 AM

Neurons: 4,437,166
“We all do better when we work together. Our differences do matter, but our common humanity matters more.”
― Bill Clinton
Cj Anderson
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:18:35 AM

Neurons: 168
We will always have problems. A government that cares about the people, and the earth is a government that people would love. That could solve a lot of problems.
RoadRunner
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:29:12 AM

Neurons: 388,491
A bad government is the problem; but until there is a more sound and working plan come up, otherwise I stick with the existing system.
Samantha Betts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:25:05 AM

Neurons: 67,449
In Spain actually we would do better without government as this one and the ones before have stolen millions from the people and today we are suffering the consequences but we still consent because we are afraid of a new government being even worst.
So sorry Mr Clinton I must disagree
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:02:54 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Lack of self control was the cause of Bill's problems
officina
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:03:20 AM

Neurons: 216,047
Daemon wrote:
The new rage is to say that the government is the cause of all our problems, and if only we had no government, we'd have no problems. I can tell you, that contradicts evidence, history, and common sense.

Bill Clinton (1946-)
Bill should know that - sometimes- government just add problems to ones that already exist... and that will still exits with or without Government.. hehe..
Navaid Ashraf
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:53:34 AM

Neurons: 3,955
No doubt, most of the countries government in fact not solving problems of their citizen. BUT this chaos and unrest in most of the world developed since George W. Bush became President of US Government and in Pakistan Gen Zia Ul Haque, both these person main cause of Terrorism particularly in Muslim world and now also being witnessed in US. Until late 70's there was Peace and tranquility , soft melodious songs Boo hoo! , sincere love affairs.... all basic goodies were there in all around the world.Whistle
Sri Harsha
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:19:18 AM

Neurons: 11,356
If any problems are faced by the society ,the people are responsible for them because they are the one who elected that government
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:44:08 AM

Neurons: 332,921
A bad governance is better than a good anarchy… What's the latest rage in the White house, darling?
sandeep patra
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 7:28:49 AM

Neurons: 122,829
True to its essence that democracy is built with people as a part and people do hold the responsibility to act sensibly without blaming just the government.
mudbudda669
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:00:20 AM

Neurons: 412,153
He probably right
Taxiarchis
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:27:24 AM

Neurons: 125,635
Gotta say I agree with Clinton there. Governments are not comprised of beings that sprouted out of the ground overnight or came out of a different world altogether; they are people that were born and brought up like anybody else. If a country's government is corrupt and ineffectual, chances are its regular citizens are like that as well in their daily lives, meaning that simply replacing them after an election would amount to nothing. As a Peruvian, I should know that.
striker
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:10:01 AM

Neurons: 4,972,229
so true everybody feels that they have been victimized by our government
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:20:44 AM

Neurons: 350,540
Duly noted, Bill.

Correction: "...government is the cause of many of our problems."

Better?
Dr WWWW
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:31:13 AM

Neurons: 10,072
President Clinton was referring to a statement by President Reagan in his first inaugural address, given here within its context

[image not available]
:

"... great as our tax burden is, it has not kept pace with public spending. For decades we have piled deficit upon deficit, mortgaging our future and our children's future for the temporary convenience of the present. To continue this long trend is to guarantee tremendous social, cultural, political, and economic upheavals.

You and I, as individuals, can, by borrowing, live beyond our means, but for only a limited period of time. Why, then, should we think that collectively, as a nation, we're not bound by that same limitation? We must act today in order to preserve tomorrow. And let there be no misunderstanding: We are going to begin to act, beginning today.

The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion of freedom.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? All of us together, in and out of government, must bear the burden. The solutions we seek must be equitable, with no one group singled out to pay a higher price"
Drepa Rugl
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:41:32 AM

Neurons: 3
Everyone is victimized by government. There's no one volunteering money to pay for government contracts. Taxation is theft.

Bill is as wrong as wrong can be. What a lying sack. Government may not be the cause of all of our problems. It is the cause of a huge portion of them though.

What also contradicts evidence, history and common sense is that government hasn't caused the vast majority of problems for (so called) civilization over the past century and a half. Over 100 million people killed by government. Over half of those by their own government.

It what world do you live where government solves problems? As I see it the only problems that government even tries to solve are the ones that government (either the same or another government) has already created.

Also false is the idea that we are the government. I did not make any of the choices those that control the government machine made to murder and plunder others. If what sandeep patra and Sri Harsha is true, then the people of New York choked and killed (some might say murdered) Eric Garner. If that were true, then the people of Ohio (or at least Cleveland) shot and killed the twelve year old boy. What a white washing lie that is.

I haven't done anything like these things, and I refuse to be painted with such a brush.

The free market solves problems. Government: let us be.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:14:30 PM

Neurons: 6,735,293
Context From:

Remarks to Students at Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Florida
March 30, 1995

Now we are all engaged in a great debate which you hear every day on the news as you watch events unfold about what your Government should be doing in this moment. The old view was that there was a Government solution in Washington for every big problem in the country and that Government could actually help people with big problems. Well, we know that that's not exactly right; they're not onesize-fits-all, Government knows best, out of Washington. And we know that there are great limits on how much Government can help people to fulfill their abilities.

The new rage is to say that the Government is the cause of all of our problems and if only we had no Government, we'd have no problems. I can tell you, that contradicts evidence, history, and common sense. Now, the truth is—so the question is, what are we going to do? I can tell you what my view is, and it is different from either extreme.

I believe we need a Government that doesn't pretend to be a savior but that doesn't sit on the sidelines. I believe in a partnership. I believe that the National Government's mission at the end of this century is as follows: Number one, we ought to be creating opportunity and demanding responsibility. Number two, I think we ought to be doing everything we can to empower the American people through education for a lifetime to make the most of their own lives. Number three, I believe we ought to be enhancing the security of the American people, not only by making the world a safer place but by making our streets and our schools and our homes and our workplaces safer places. And number four, I think we have got to dramatically change the National Government to make it smaller, less bureaucratic, less meddlesome, but still helpful to move this country forward.

NOTE: The President spoke at 2:34 p.m. in the gymnasium at the Dale Mabry Campus. In his remarks, he referred to William Lanthripp, president, Dale Mabry Campus Student Government Association; Andreas A. Paloumpis, president, Hillsborough Community College; and student John Meyer.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=51164
egeopotum
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:27:38 PM

Neurons: 2,145
Mr. William Jefferson Clinton insincerely frames the problem. The first false frame is the argument that government causes all of our problems. Few seriously assert this. The second false frame is the argument of no government at all. The honest question is whether, in any area of our lives, we have too much government.

"if we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." Thomas Jefferson

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild,[sic] and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson
Ozolinsh V.
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:24:27 PM

Neurons: 136,914
Long live Bill!Applause
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:22:23 PM

Neurons: 5,624,218
pedro wrote:
Lack of self control was the cause of Bill's problems

Lack of self control was the cause of US government' problems.
Barnacle Barney Bill
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:07:40 PM

Neurons: 117,020
Mr Clinton was a great president. His administration's financial policies paid down the national debt. He kept us out of war. The county was actually operating in the black during the last few years of his administration. Then came Mr. Bush who said it was good for us to operate in the red. Mr. Clinton, like many past presidents and many ordinary men, did not always think with his head.
Mehrdad77
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:00:03 AM

Neurons: 478,043

No man is good enough to govern another man without the other's consent.
Abraham Lincoln

Mehrdad77
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:00:53 AM

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill
Mehrdad77
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:01:52 AM

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
Ronald Reagan
Mehrdad77
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:02:32 AM

If men were angels, no government would be necessary.
James Madison