mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Facebook Allows Social Afterlife Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:00:00 AM

Neurons: 94,785
Facebook Allows Social Afterlife

Facebook users can now name a friend or family member as the executor of their profile page after they die. This person is known as a "legacy contact" and can post information to the deceased's page, as well as change the profile picture and accept friend requests. Once chosen, legacy contacts are notified via auto-message from Facebook. If a user does not wish to name a legacy contact, Facebook can be configured to delete his or her profile after death. Previously, it was only possible to "memorialize" pages of users who had passed away. More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:33:12 AM

Neurons: 2,005,047
I have no Facebook profile. Now I am taking steps to prevent my family members from creating such profile when I die in remote future.
Samantha Betts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:15:13 AM

Neurons: 67,449
5 things you need to do in a life time:
get married, have children, get divorced, grow a tree, write a book

Facebook afterlife will is not in my list
Chang-Sub Uhm
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:32:56 AM

Neurons: 37,366
Nobody can handle his/her own personal data after death. Therefore if it is possible it would be wiser to leave a will to handle whatever left behind.
Nisar Akhtar
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:30:44 AM

Neurons: 347,512
Dead men do not speak hence it is immaterial about its legacy.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:51:44 AM

Neurons: 2,590,862
I don't do facebook either, but I can see the possible problems which can arise at the death of a user.
striker
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:00:42 AM

Neurons: 4,765,584
i don't use facebook
Lizz Gzz
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:59:34 AM

Neurons: 69,724
I will not utilize this option, i would like that my account stay untouchable because i have personal info in my facebook, like private conversations and other stuff.
d_marx
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:38:53 PM

Neurons: 2,001
It would make sense to be able to leave the account to someone who could post details about the passing of a person. I know I don't have a plan on how my family can close me down online, so it makes sense that FB would get with the times.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:13:20 PM

Neurons: 156,985
Facebook Allows Social Afterlife
Facebook users can now name a friend or family member as the executor of their profile page after they die. This person is known as a "legacy contact" and can post information to the deceased's page, as well as change the profile picture and accept friend requests. Once chosen, legacy contacts are notified via auto-message from Facebook. If a user does not wish to name a legacy contact, Facebook can be configured to delete his or her profile after death. Previously, it was only possible to "memorialize" pages of users who had passed away. More...

Facebook? Loss of time! I may ask my children to be my "legacy contact" in the Free Dictionary World Forum.
ellana
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:31:58 PM

Neurons: 127,363
I don't do Facebook either or any other social media. I just don't see the point!!
Dr WWWW
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:49:07 PM

Neurons: 10,072
It seems to me that, should you wish to have someone manage your Facebook page after you pass on, you need only give them your signon info. Presumably you trust this person to address your posthumous affairs so why not give them access while you are still around. If the privilege is abused, change your password. The sorts of Facebook posts I have seen are perhaps precious to the sender but sufficiently trivial that no one, particularly a "Friend", would think of a malicious way to use them. Also, I doubt that in any instance we are talking of the person who has something to hide granting access privileges to someone else.