The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:00:00 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/7/2009
Posts: 31,177
Neurons: 92,709
Location: Inside Farlex computers
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:35:30 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/28/2015
Posts: 11,098
Neurons: 4,191,977
Location: Kolkata, Bengal, India
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.
Mark Twain

Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:35:46 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/5/2014
Posts: 1,016
Neurons: 156,985
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Applause If we read just what the school authorities told us to read, we would have pretty limited view of the world.
Schools teach what the ruling regimes dictate to be taught... but the individuals in search of answers, in search of the profound truth search beyond the school walls.
Let us not forget that education is not complete without edification. There are a lot of people who are educated but not edified... many indoctrinated but not enlightened...
TB Turtle
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:42:41 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/27/2014
Posts: 492
Neurons: 4,068,781
Location: Portland, Maine, United States
As a child I was Never lost; you could always Find me at the library.

My weekly assignment was to learn at least fifty new words and include them in a story for a Sunday afternoon reading. Unhappy parents were not an option.

My 'schooling' took place in a library not a school room.
Bareskin2000
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:50:37 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/28/2014
Posts: 192
Neurons: 471,878
Location: Ramsgate, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
My schooling stopped 45 years ago but my education continues every day!
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 4:10:10 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/21/2009
Posts: 13,057
Neurons: 63,022
'I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.'

Likewise you should never let work interfere with your lunch break.
Vit Babenco
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 4:30:22 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/16/2014
Posts: 177
Neurons: 559,249
Location: Ivanovo, Ivanovo, Russia
Schooling often damages education...
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:04:02 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/26/2013
Posts: 3,232
Neurons: 302,192
Location: Minsk, Minskaya Voblasts', Belarus
It may work one or twain, what about other cases?
sandeep patra
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:35:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/25/2014
Posts: 160
Neurons: 122,829
Location: Koraput, Orissa, India
Very well said sir....in schools no lessons on 'How to Live'
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 8:27:28 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/27/2014
Posts: 2,469
Neurons: 1,976,791
Location: Tbilisi, T'bilisi, Georgia
Neither did I. So I have received classical education, it seems, like Mark Twain did. Angel
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:02:53 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/4/2014
Posts: 7,929
Neurons: 6,325,512
Location: Bogotá, Bogota D.C., Colombia
Another misquote???

The earliest known attribution of a version of this quote to Twain occurred in 1907 [OMT]. However, QI( Quote Investigator) believes that credit for this saying should go to the controversial novelist and essayist Grant Allen who published a variant in 1894. Indeed, Grant Allen was so enamored with the maxim that schooling interfered with education that he presented it in an essay and then restated it within at least three of his novels. The four works were published in: 1894, 1895, 1896, and 1899.


The Twain Quotes website of Barbara Schmidt has a page presenting Twain’s witticisms on education. At the bottom of the webpage is the following note [TQE]:
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

– This quote has been attributed to Mark Twain, but until the attribution can be verified, the quote should not be regarded as authentic.



Several years before this cite the novelist and science writer Grant Allen expressed the idea. He tried to popularize the maxim by presenting multiple variations over a period of years in several of his works. Grant authored essays in The Westminster Gazette that were collected and published in 1894 in a book titled “Post-Prandial Philosophy”. Here is an excerpt about education [PPP]:

One year in Italy with their eyes open would be worth more than three at Oxford; and six months in the fields with a platyscopic lens would teach them strange things about the world around them that all the long terms at Harrow and Winchester have failed to discover to them. But that would involve some trouble to the teacher.

What a misfortune it is that we should thus be compelled to let our boys’ schooling interfere with their education!


Read more really interesting!! http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/09/25/schooling-vs-education/
Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:14:37 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/23/2014
Posts: 1,684
Neurons: 5,331,168
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Daemon wrote:
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)


Always wise to keep this in mind.
striker
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:13:14 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/30/2014
Posts: 1,698
Neurons: 2,240,255
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts, United States
common sense educated
Adela Alexandra
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:59:11 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 11/22/2014
Posts: 3
Neurons: 24,737
Location: Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
Why not to let them interfere?Eh? It's true that sometimes the scholar curriculum is far from what students really need to know in order to achieve their professional goals or personal fulfillment. However, as I see it, one could try to intertwine them.
If, for example, I learn English or any other foreign language, I can, at the same time, develop morally or ideologically through the texts I read, the films I watch or the music I listen to.
Also, as this is my area of expertise, I deem that a thorough understanding of living organisms' physiology is also a good lesson of philosophy.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:26:01 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/22/2014
Posts: 2,292
Neurons: 2,590,862
Location: Lilyfield, New South Wales, Australia
monamagda wrote:
Another misquote???

The earliest known attribution of a version of this quote to Twain occurred in 1907 [OMT]. However, QI( Quote Investigator) believes that credit for this saying should go to the controversial novelist and essayist Grant Allen who published a variant in 1894. Indeed, Grant Allen was so enamored with the maxim that schooling interfered with education that he presented it in an essay and then restated it within at least three of his novels. The four works were published in: 1894, 1895, 1896, and 1899.


The Twain Quotes website of Barbara Schmidt has a page presenting Twain’s witticisms on education. At the bottom of the webpage is the following note [TQE]:
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

– This quote has been attributed to Mark Twain, but until the attribution can be verified, the quote should not be regarded as authentic.



Several years before this cite the novelist and science writer Grant Allen expressed the idea. He tried to popularize the maxim by presenting multiple variations over a period of years in several of his works. Grant authored essays in The Westminster Gazette that were collected and published in 1894 in a book titled “Post-Prandial Philosophy”. Here is an excerpt about education [PPP]:

One year in Italy with their eyes open would be worth more than three at Oxford; and six months in the fields with a platyscopic lens would teach them strange things about the world around them that all the long terms at Harrow and Winchester have failed to discover to them. But that would involve some trouble to the teacher.

What a misfortune it is that we should thus be compelled to let our boys’ schooling interfere with their education!


Read more really interesting!! http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/09/25/schooling-vs-education/


Where would we be without monamagda? In the dark!
Thanks again, monamagda! Applause
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 4:54:22 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/4/2014
Posts: 7,929
Neurons: 6,325,512
Location: Bogotá, Bogota D.C., Colombia



NeuroticHellFem wrote:
monamagda wrote:
Another misquote???

The earliest known attribution of a version of this quote to Twain occurred in 1907 [OMT]. However, QI( Quote Investigator) believes that credit for this saying should go to the controversial novelist and essayist Grant Allen who published a variant in 1894. Indeed, Grant Allen was so enamored with the maxim that schooling interfered with education that he presented it in an essay and then restated it within at least three of his novels. The four works were published in: 1894, 1895, 1896, and 1899.


The Twain Quotes website of Barbara Schmidt has a page presenting Twain’s witticisms on education. At the bottom of the webpage is the following note [TQE]:
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

– This quote has been attributed to Mark Twain, but until the attribution can be verified, the quote should not be regarded as authentic.



Several years before this cite the novelist and science writer Grant Allen expressed the idea. He tried to popularize the maxim by presenting multiple variations over a period of years in several of his works. Grant authored essays in The Westminster Gazette that were collected and published in 1894 in a book titled “Post-Prandial Philosophy”. Here is an excerpt about education [PPP]:

One year in Italy with their eyes open would be worth more than three at Oxford; and six months in the fields with a platyscopic lens would teach them strange things about the world around them that all the long terms at Harrow and Winchester have failed to discover to them. But that would involve some trouble to the teacher.

What a misfortune it is that we should thus be compelled to let our boys’ schooling interfere with their education!


Read more really interesting!! http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/09/25/schooling-vs-education/


Where would we be without monamagda? In the dark!
Thanks again, monamagda! Applause
Omar Mariani
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:56:03 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/25/2014
Posts: 655
Neurons: 76,546
Location: Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires F.D., Argentina
Sounds odd but Twainlike

Education can make you or mar you
leonelayala12
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 8:09:21 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 8/14/2014
Posts: 8
Neurons: 3,076
Location: Desert Hot Springs, California, United States
so was twain anti social in his schooling days?
Mehrdad77
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:56:52 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/22/2014
Posts: 1,675
Neurons: 478,043
Location: Tehrān, Tehran, Iran
Education is what you learn after you leave school.
Robert Kiyosaki
Mehrdad77
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:59:14 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/22/2014
Posts: 1,675
Neurons: 478,043
Location: Tehrān, Tehran, Iran
Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.
Albert Einstein
Mehrdad77
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:00:13 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/22/2014
Posts: 1,675
Neurons: 478,043
Location: Tehrān, Tehran, Iran
Our school education ignores, in a thousand ways, the rules of healthy development.
Elizabeth Blackwell
Mehrdad77
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:05:47 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/22/2014
Posts: 1,675
Neurons: 478,043
Location: Tehrān, Tehran, Iran
I didn't go to film school. I got my education on the set as a niche publicist in the film industry.
Ava DuVernay
Mehrdad77
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:07:23 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/22/2014
Posts: 1,675
Neurons: 478,043
Location: Tehrān, Tehran, Iran

To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.
Mark Twain
palilula20
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:50:15 PM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 9/22/2013
Posts: 21
Neurons: 31,508
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States
Mehrdad77 wrote:

To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.
Mark Twain


Very true!
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:18:51 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/3/2012
Posts: 2,213
Neurons: 247,952
Daemon wrote:
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)


Schooling and education alike are a good start for gaining knowledge. Never let any of them interfere with understanding it, or using it rightly.
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 9:37:33 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/23/2013
Posts: 690
Neurons: 3,278
KSPavan wrote:
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.
Mark Twain



I cannot digest this one - somebody help

Many thanks
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:19:58 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/3/2012
Posts: 2,213
Neurons: 247,952
Ebenezer Son wrote:
KSPavan wrote:
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.
Mark Twain



I cannot digest this one - somebody help

Many thanks


Aside from the sarcasm, the epigram may invite the thought that "success in life"--however defined--is not all that is made out to be.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.