mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Who can look down upon the grave even of an enemy, and not feel a compunctious throb, that he should ever have warred with... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Who can look down upon the grave even of an enemy, and not feel a compunctious throb, that he should ever have warred with the poor handful of earth that lies moldering before him?

Washington Irving (1783-1859)
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:39:35 AM

Neurons: 4,766,303
Sweet is the memory of distant friends! Like the mellow rays of the departing sun, it falls tenderly, yet sadly, on the heart.
Washington Irving

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/washington_irving.html#wO1TS9f8EHkv1HWy.99
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:09:02 AM

Neurons: 362,436
Time is a gracious healer for mostly all your dead enemies, including personal ones.
pedro
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:25:28 AM

Neurons: 63,022
I suspect most people know an outstanding soul or two they wish were handfuls of earth.
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 12:03:31 PM

Neurons: 5,919,988
He is mellifluous.
striker
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:05:39 PM

Neurons: 5,079,026
all man are equal
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:52:37 PM

Neurons: 156,985
striker wrote:
all man are equal

Applause Yes... so then... How is it then that the military and the addict organizations are so "potent"!!! Is it just their cave illusion (Plato) that they want us to believe in!!!

From the perspective of a dead person, I still see the inequality... I do not have their potency, live or dead...

Even from the perspective of a dead person, I want a better world for those who come after my life time.I will not settle for lies and sick control and oppression by those who sickly think they are "powerFUL"!!!
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:21:47 PM

Neurons: 2,599,403
Gary Glitter's in the news. I doubt there'd be a compunctious throb in anyone's heart when he's in his grave. Shame on you
Dr WWWW
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:26:50 PM

Neurons: 10,072
The quote is from "The Grave", printed in a Masonic publication, The Ashlar, Volume 2, p 270. It is not clear whether this is the complete article, but this does give a context:

The Grave.—Oh, the grave! the grave! It buries every error, covers every defect, extinguishes every resentment. From its peaceful bosom spring none but fond regrets and tender recollectioris. Who can look down upon the grave even of an enemy, and not feel a compunctuous throb, that even he should have warred against the mere handful of earth that lies mouldering before him? But the grave of those he loved, what a place for meditation ! Then it is that we call up, in long review, the whole history of virtue and gentleness, and the thousand endearments lavished upon us, almost unheeded, in the daily intercourse of intimacy
. . . . . . . . .
Aye, go to the grave of buried love and meditate! There settle the account with thy conscience, for every past endearment unregarded, of that departed being, who never, never, never can return., to be soothed by contrition! If thou art a child, and hast ever added a sorrow to the soul, or a furrow to the silvered brow of an affectionate parent; if thou art a husband, and hast caused the fond bosom that ventured its whole happiness in thy arms, to doubt one moment of thy kindness or thy truth; if thou art a friend, and hast ever wronged in thought, or word, or deed, the spirit that generously confided in thee; if thou art a lover, and hast ever given one unmerited pang to the true heart that now lies cold beneath thy feet: then be sure that every unkind look, every ungracious word, every ungenerous action, will come thronging back upon the memory and knocking dolefully at thy soul; then be sure thou wilt lie down, sorrowing and repentant on the grave, and titter the unheard groan, and pour the unavailing tear, more deep, more bitter, because unheard and unavailing.—. Washington Irving.
TB Turtle
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:05:03 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
Washington Irving is like a glass of fine wine, soothing and alluring.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:02:46 PM

Neurons: 37,072
I believe I must ponder this quote for a few hours before commenting.
James McShane
Posted: Friday, February 6, 2015 5:01:40 AM

Neurons: 221,446
I can.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, February 6, 2015 7:43:17 PM

Neurons: 249,307
Daemon wrote:
Who can look down upon the grave even of an enemy, and not feel a compunctious throb, that he should ever have warred with the poor handful of earth that lies moldering before him?

Washington Irving (1783-1859)

The one who first felt the thrills that inspired the throb of thinking that compunction makes any difference for the poor sod?