mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Special Effects Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,695
Special Effects

Often relied upon heavily in the science fiction and action genres, special effects are techniques used in film and television to portray scenes that cannot be achieved by normal means, such as space travel. Common examples are the use of rear-screen projections, in which previously photographed material is projected behind the actors; the filming of miniature objects in such a way as to make them look larger; and the use of animation. What are "live" special effects? More...
TB Turtle
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:30:27 AM

Neurons: 4,068,781
I have an endless fascination with photography and film.
striker
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:26:56 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
makes a movie a lot better
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:07:29 PM

Neurons: 2,599,403
I remember seeing old Batman repeats on tv when I was a kid (the tv show). I remember how Batman & Robin always had to climb a building. They'd just tilt the camera to film them walking, bent over, along a brick floor with fake windows. Hilarious!

Special effects now are what sell the movie, plot is of lesser priority. Writers contrive scenes where they can insert a car explosion, at the expense of a coherent plot development.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:41:05 PM

Neurons: 7,700,132

Live special effects

Live special effects are effects that are used in front of a live audience, mostly during sporting events, concerts and corporate shows. Types of effects that are commonly used include: .

In live production, special effects can involve any elements consisting of water, fire, haze, pyrotechnics, confetti cannons, and similar atmospheric or mechanical devices. -

See more at: http://getinmedia.com/careers/special-effects-technician#sthash.mHabxMZa.dpuf
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:47:28 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Special effects has come a really long way since I started watching movies in the early 1940's, and I should add, much to my enjoyment, usually.... :-)
Dr WWWW
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 10:36:17 PM

Neurons: 10,072
Star Wars - a pioneering movie with special effects.

For me, this was the first movie with convincing special effects.

In 1975, Lucas formed his own visual effects company Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) after discovering that 20th Century Fox's visual effects department had been disbanded. ILM began its work on Star Wars in a warehouse in Van Nuys, California. Most of the visual effects used pioneering digital motion control photography developed by John Dykstra and his team, which created the illusion of size by employing small models and slowly moving cameras.

Lucas wanted Star Wars to embrace the combination of "strange graphics of fantasy" and "the feel of a documentary" to impress a distinct look. To achieve this, he hired the British cinematographer Gilbert Taylor.

Lucas described a "used future" concept to the production designers in which all devices, ships, and buildings looked aged and dirty. Instead of following the traditional sleekness and futuristic architecture of science fiction films that came before, the Star Wars sets were designed to look inhabited and used. Barry said that the director "wants to make it look like its shot on location on your average everyday Death Star or Mos Eisly Spaceport or local cantina."

Film critic Roger Ebert wrote, "Like The Birth of a Nation and Citizen Kane, Star Wars was a technical watershed that influenced many of the movies that came after." It began a new generation of special effects and high-energy motion pictures.

Lifted from the Wikipedia article on Star Wars.