mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
St. Charlemagne's Day Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,128
St. Charlemagne's Day

Charlemagne wasn't actually a saint at all; he was an emperor and the first ruler of the Holy Roman Empire, crowned in 800 by Pope Leo III. Although he was never able to read and write himself, Charlemagne, whose name means "Charles the Great," founded the University of Paris. In fact, his reign was marked by a huge cultural revival, including significant advances in scholarship, literature, and philosophy. He died on January 28, 814. More...
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:36:48 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
Quote:
...St. Charlemagne's Day is still celebrated by college students in France, who hold champagne breakfasts at which professors and top students recite poems and give speeches.

You call that a party? Champagne breakfasts I'm OK with, but if I'm at a party, with alcohol in my system, I'm not going to want to recite poetry or listen to speeches.
striker
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:11:48 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
he real was charles the emperor
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:41:14 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Well thank you Charles for the University, it was/is appreciated. But here in America, the republican party in 2015 wants to limit education for the public, go figure... From 800 ACD to the present, damn have we really moved in a truly backwards direction.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:45:07 PM

Neurons: 7,540,551
Saint Charlemagne?

The cultus of Charlemagne provides an illuminating example of this system of recognition. Three and a half centuries after his death, in 1165, Charlemagne was canonized by the anti-pope Paschal III. The Catholic Church never officially recognized Paschal III’s canonization of the Carolingian emperor, however, and in fact, all of Paschal III’s pronouncements were eventually abrogated in 1179 by the Third Lateran Council. This wholesale repudiation of Paschal III and his decisions would presumably have included his canonization of Charlemagne.

Despite the rejection of Charlemagne’s canonization, a local cultus that had developed around the emperor persisted and spread to parts of Germany, Belgium, and France. No subsequent pope protested the cultus, so it endured for several centuries with the tacit permission of Rome. In the 18th century, Pope Benedict XIV confirmed the cultus, though apparently not as an official papal act. Ultimately, because the cultus continued to exist with the permission of the Church, Charlemagne is considered beatified. Charlemagne, therefore, can be referred to as Blessed Charlemagne; however, he is not Saint Charlemagne.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/einhard.asp#EINHARD’S%20PREFACE.
Omar Mariani
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:36:55 PM

Neurons: 76,546
I love the way he persuaded people in Europe to become Christians. It was either be baptized a Christian or be beheaded. No wonder he was so successful at proselytizing. I know I, for one, would have been that gently persuaded