mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Sandstone Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,128
Sandstone

Sandstone is a sedimentary rock formed when grains of sand have been cemented together by a material such as silica, iron oxide, or calcium carbonate. It usually consists mainly of quartz and can vary in color from yellow or red to gray or brown. Sandstone's porous nature makes it ideal for aquifers, and it is also widely used in construction and industry. Why is sandstone commonly used for decorative features in buildings? More...
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:33:54 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
Daemon wrote:
Sandstone

Sandstone is a sedimentary rock formed when grains of sand have been cemented together by a material such as silica, iron oxide, or calcium carbonate. It usually consists mainly of quartz and can vary in color from yellow or red to gray or brown. Sandstone's porous nature makes it ideal for aquifers, and it is also widely used in construction and industry. Why is sandstone commonly used for decorative features in buildings? More...

Sandstone is soft enough to carve easily, yet generally quite resilient to weathering.

I LOVE the old carved sandstone buildings of Sydney, a lot of them convict built. There's lots of sandstone locally. Le Corbusier might have his place in the world of architecture, but give me a carved sandstone building any day.

[image not available]

Detail from Sydney Technical College

[image not available]

Sydney GPO (General Post Office)

QVB (Queen Victoria Building) Lovely place with a statue of a fat chick out the front.
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:10:03 AM

Neurons: 4,756,562
Awesome !
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:52:04 AM

Neurons: 5,909,888
got to say: beautiful rock.
striker
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:50:52 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
can be used in many consumes products
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:02:15 PM

Neurons: 37,072
As an artist I found sandstone very easy to work with but the drawback is that it also weathers very easily, so ones work can and does deteriorate faster then other materials.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:08:13 PM

Neurons: 7,540,551
♥SANDSTONE ENERGY MEANING♥

Sandstone is mostly fine grains of quartz, and acts like quartz. It helps align the emotional and energetic body. Absorbs and transmutes energy. It balances the tin yang energies which help calm the emotional body.

It helps us to see and understand various points of view so that we can be more flexible.

°Physical: Used for liver, pancreas disorders arteriosclerosis, throat ailments, and rashes. Increases cell elasticity in heart and blood vessels. Helps with wounds and broken bones. Assists to restore degenerative eyesight, weak fingernails and thinning hair. Helps with water retention.

°Emotional: Helps balance emotions to help you through difficult changes. Changes a cold heart to one of love and acceptance of humanity. Helps with bad tempers and grouchiness.

°Spiritual: Great stone for connecting to the sea and other bodies of water. Connected to the history of Lemuria.

http://www.amazon.com/Sandstone-Healing-Decorations-Self-Healing-Meditation/dp/B00M8BRRDC

Omar Mariani
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:20:37 PM

Neurons: 76,546
Because it is relatively soft, making it easy to carve
ChristineC
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:43:46 PM

Neurons: 1,492
that is the name of my siding
thar
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:00:25 PM

Neurons: 97,320
People think of sandstone as quite soft, or at least, quite workable.

But, if you think about it, it is the most resilient thing there is. You start off with igneous rock, solidifying from melt deep in the crust, and the pretty, crystal-shaped minerals that
form first, with all the cool stuff in, the magnesium, the iron, the calcium,
the classy olivines and pyroxenes and feldspars.
The quartz is just the crud left over at the end, that was not taken up by all those
picky silicates. But it forms at a lower temperature, so it is more stable.
So when that igneous rock is exposed at the surface after millions of years, and weathered, all those high temperature, high maintenance minerals
break down - the calcium is dissolved, the magnesium is dissolved - and what do they form - sea shells and muds! Not cool! But the quartz survives, bashes its way down rivers, along beaches, forming dunes and deserts,
and if buried, it forms sandstones. The ultimate survivor!

[image not available]

and even when that sandstone is eroded, it can still hold out....

Uluru

[image not available]

I know, it may be true that I am a bit of a rock nerd. And I am not even a soft rocker (strange people, into sedimentary rocks, lots of dead things, and oil wells).
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:03:57 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
thar wrote:
People think of sandstone as quite soft, or at least, quite workable.

But, if you think about it, it is the most resilient thing there is. You start off with igneous rock, solidifying from melt deep in the crust, and the pretty, crystal-shaped minerals that
form first, with all the cool stuff in, the magnesium, the iron, the calcium,
the classy olivines and pyroxenes and feldspars.
The quartz is just the crud left over at the end, that was not taken up by all those
picky silicates. But it forms at a lower temperature, so it is more stable.
So when that igneous rock is exposed at the surface after millions of years, and weathered, all those high temperature, high maintenance minerals
break down - the calcium is dissolved, the magnesium is dissolved - and what do they form - sea shells and muds! Not cool! But the quartz survives, bashes its way down rivers, along beaches, forming dunes and deserts,
and if buried, it forms sandstones. The ultimate survivor!

[image not available]

and even when that sandstone is eroded, it can still hold out....

Uluru

[image not available]

I know, it may be true that I am a bit of a rock nerd. And I am not even a soft rocker (strange people, into sedimentary rocks, lots of dead things, and oil wells).

Applause
MaryWilbur
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 4:23:33 AM

Neurons: 68,552
I love the picture of the eroded sandstone and the reptile that looks similar to an iguana but without fringes.