The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Original Apple Macintosh Computer Released Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 91,656
Original Apple Macintosh Computer Released

Named after the McIntosh variety of apple, the original Macintosh computer was released by Apple Inc. in 1984. Using a graphical user interface and mouse instead of the then-standard command line interface, the "Mac" garnered an immediate, enthusiastic following, especially among tech neophytes. One of the Mac's major breakthroughs was the ability to delete a file by dragging it to an on-screen trashcan, rather than by typing in a command. How did Apple officially announce the Mac's launch? More...
MelissaMe
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 12:55:25 AM

Neurons: 347,528
Oh! I loved my Mac Plus! I bought it just a year after it was put on the market, in 1987.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:34:21 AM

Neurons: 685,863
Where are all these original macs now? There was one stocked in an abandoned office room, and one day it vanished into thin air ...
By using a Macintosh, I had my first experience with professional computer tasks: text editing for a university printing service. I'll never forget that. I edited text in Word. Word was the brand name from Apple, around 1988.
Microsoft (later??) had software called Wordperfect ("-perfect", oh irony), the programm had the screen split in two parts, and codes put around the phrases you were typing. I didn't believe my eyes, seeing that bombastic system. While working in Word was like eating candy for the mind. What you see is what you get.
Unfortunately, today it's like: what you see is what you get is what you have to throw away after three years because of the hidden timelock.
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:02:23 AM

Neurons: 699,768
Awesome article. In 1987 I was introduced to the MAC, what I didn't know was that all these years later I would be a MAC 'freak'......I think my first MAC was a MAC SD, and a year later purchased the 'OS' and a MAC Plus, which also had that little black & white screen (I think 1MB total memory)....Photoshop & Pagemaker were the programs...in business since then I still have a MAC (once a MAC always a MAC) with a 2 Terabyte internal and an additional 2 Terabyte external.....thanks Daemon for the article and the memories, and Peiter Hove I still have my very first two......MelissaMe I also love my MAC's, they have kept me in business...thanks again!

..(by the way, 'MAC folk', do you know what "PC" means.....Piece of Crap......... Let's keep that between us!). Shhh
striker
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:33:39 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
i still have mind in the attic
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 11:57:38 AM

Neurons: 6,219,160
The creative of “1984”

During Apple’s Annual Sales Conference in October1983, Steve Jobs unveiled the famous “1984” commercial. Three months later the ad would air during the third quarter of Superbowl XVIII… and the rest is history!

First of all, the commercial was not inspired by the Macintosh. In late 1982, Apple’s advertising agency, Chiat/Day, had devised a corporate print campaign for The Wall Street Journal featuring the Apple II that was designed to play off George Orwell‘s totalitarian vision of the future.

“Six months before we knew about Mac, we had this new ad that read, “Why 1984 won’t be like 1984,” reveals Lee Clow, creative director at Chiat/Day. “It explained Apple’s philosophy and purpose; that people, not just government and big corporations, should run technology. If computers aren’t to take over our lives, they have to be accessible.”

The ad never ran and was filed away, only to be dusted off in the spring of 1983 by Steve Hayden, the agency’s copywriter, and Brent Thomas, the art director, who were looking for some hook to make a bold statement about the incredible new Macintosh. With considerable reworking, the Chiat/Day team put together a storyboard of the 1984 commercial they proposed to shoot.
The mini-movie would show an athletic young woman, chased by helmeted storm troopers, burst into a dank auditorium in which rows upon rows of slack-jawed, drone-like workers watched an image of Big Brother spouting an ideological diatribe on a huge screen. The heroine, wearing bright red jogging shorts and a white Macintosh tee-shirt, would smash the screen with a baseball bat (later changed to a sledgehammer for dramatic effect) and a refreshing burst of fresh air would pass over the masses as they literally “saw the light.” In the closing shot, a solemn voice would intone “On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh. And you’ll see why 1984 won’t be like 1984.”

http://everystevejobsvideo.com/steve-jobs-presents-the-1984-ad-at-the-macintosh-pre-launch-event-1983/

See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3GlG2KwnUc
johnfl
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 4:30:55 PM

Neurons: 432,383
does Smithsonian have one ?
Todd Gundlach
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:31:08 PM

Neurons: 3
Yeah, well as an entering mechanical engineering student at Drexel University in Philadelphia in September 1983 we were required to purchase an original mac at a cost of over $2400 - when those engineers graduated in 1988, it was best used as a doorstop. I once saw one in the Smithsonian.