mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Chilembwe Day Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Chilembwe Day

John Chilembwe was born in the 1860s in the African nation of Nyasaland, now known as Malawi. Dismayed by the treatment of local peoples at the hands of plantation owners, whom he charged with racism and exploitation, he and a group of 200 followers staged an uprising. They were caught and killed on February 3, 1915. Chilembwe is now memorialized as a hero for African independence and is celebrated annually on January 15 in Malawi, which attained its independence in 1964. His image on a Malawi banknote attests to his enduring popularity as a symbol of Malawi freedom and patriotism. More...
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:03:00 AM

Neurons: 156,985
Chilembwe Day

John Chilembwe was born in the 1860s in the African nation of Nyasaland, now known as Malawi. Dismayed by the treatment of local peoples at the hands of plantation owners, whom he charged with racism and exploitation, he and a group of 200 followers staged an uprising. They were caught and killed on February 3, 1915. Chilembwe is now memorialized as a hero for African independence and is celebrated annually on January 15 in Malawi, which attained its independence in 1964. His image on a Malawi banknote attests to his enduring popularity as a symbol of Malawi freedom and patriotism. More...

A marvelous individual who stood against the oppression. There are too many addictive personalities nowadays in high position that stifle life and progress of the hu-kind, but not many outstanding characters like chilembwe who would openly and categorically stand against it and do something about it.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:25:55 AM

Neurons: 7,576,446
The uprising sent shockwaves throughout the continent. Chilembwe’s actions can be seen as the first revolt in the area in the 20th century struggle for African independence.
Today Malawians celebrate Chilembwe as a martyr who knew he would not survive the revolt, but who led it anyway as the last resort of retaliation against overwhelming oppression. It would be over 50 years before Malawi achieved independence. By that time, the vast majority of African nations had won their independence.

It remains for the Christians of Britain in this day, to consider, whether in the spirit of President Lincoln’s solemn confession during the Nation’s deadly struggle, we also shall be able to say, if the need arises,
“if all the treasure that has been heaped up by the spoliation of the African has to be expended; and if every drop of African blood shed in to the effort to appropriate his country, has to be blotted out by an equal expenditure of European blood just, and righteous, O God, are all thy judgments.”

Africa For the African – Joseph Booth
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:13:58 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
A great man indeed! Happy Chilembwe Day!

The capital of Malawi is Lilongwe, & every time I hear this song, I always think it should be the national anthem of Malawi, it sounds like they're singing about Lilongwe.
striker
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:58:30 PM

Neurons: 5,079,026
that didn't last long
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:56:55 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Yes, John Chilembwe started out with the correct idea but the failing was probably due to, "to little, to late..." Sadly his approach needed much more support.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:06:25 PM

It does look like this country, Malawi, is on the correct footing with Joyce Banda as President, I do truly wish them all the luck. Now, if this country, US of A would follow suite, just maybe the world will become a better place in which to live......
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:33:58 PM

I should like to add to my earlier note, I do believe we from the non-third world nations could really learn something from this country, their "Democratic Progressive Party", and what it means to star over as a country for the people. I have high hopes for Malawi, and wish them all the luck and good fortune that I believe should and will come their way.......
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:33:59 PM

I should like to add to my earlier note, I do believe we from the non-third world nations could really learn something from this country, their "Democratic Progressive Party", and what it means to star over as a country for the people. I have high hopes for Malawi, and wish them all the luck and good fortune that I believe should and will come their way.......
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:42:13 PM

I thought I'd add a little something extra that came up through an in-depth reading of this article and the one on the British Museum: "...During the war, the U.S. had supported Pakistan, while India received help from the Soviet Union.[22] U.S. President Richard Nixon disliked Gandhi personally, referring to her as a "witch" and "clever fox" in his private communication with Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.[22] Relations with the U.S. grew distant as Gandhi developed close ties with the Soviet Union after the war..." Regarding X-president Nixon, so often we see in others.......
Dr WWWW
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:23:48 PM

Neurons: 10,072
Chilembwe was a brave man, whose distress at seeing the maltreatment of plantation workers when he returned to Malawi from America led him to lead armed insurrection. John Brown -- to which Chilembwe was likened in the article -- was a white activist who used guerilla tactics in the fight against extending slavery to territories Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri as they became states. Brown gave up his life at Harper's Ferry, Virginia when he took up arms to incite an uprising against slave owners. In both cases, the hope of arousing the oppressed to join the fight failed.

I would like to correct the statement, in the article, that Booker T. Washington was an activist of the same cloth. A few words from the Wikipedia article on Washington should suffice:

"[Washington's] message was that it was not the time [in the late 1800s] to challenge Jim Crow segregation and the disfranchisement of black voters in the South.

"Washington mobilized a nationwide coalition of middle-class blacks, church leaders, and white philanthropists and politicians, with a long-term goal of building the community's economic strength and pride by a focus on self-help and schooling. Secretly, he supported court challenges to segregation.

"Black militants in the North, led by W.E.B. Du Bois, at first supported [him] but after 1909 they set up the NAACP and tried with little success to challenge Washington's political machine for leadership in the black community.[2] Decades after Washington's death in 1915, the Civil Rights movement generally moved away from his policies to take the more militant NAACP approach."

This was not the approach of Chilembwe and Brown.