mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Cell Phone Ban Lifted for New York Students Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 5:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,814
Cell Phone Ban Lifted for New York Students

The ban on students having cell phones in New York City's public schools will soon end, with mayor Bill de Blasio announcing that phone regulation will be up to school principals. Each principal is free to create a policy or use a default one that allows students to bring their phones, so long as they are not used during school hours. The new rules are scheduled to go into effect in March. Currently, many students pay a small fee to leave their phones at a storage location—typically a grocery store or a roaming van—during the school day. More...
Dialectrum
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 2:13:58 AM

Neurons: 17,968
If the curriculum and pedagogy were better, cell phones would not have to be such a distraction!!!

And I am just baffled by the thought of paying a small fee to leave my cell phone in a roaming van.
thar
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 3:54:31 AM

Neurons: 95,878
How do they possibly know if the kids have phones on them? I agree not to use them, but to ban them and force the kids to leave them outside means you have some power to check their bags as they enter. How police state is that!

Just read the story. Metal detectors? Sheesh. What did they do to get into that state.
edit - no offense. It just strikes me a shocking and outrageous. Maybe it is normal for some.
striker
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 10:30:36 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
cell phone use should be ban when driving
Dr WWWW
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 10:43:28 AM

Neurons: 10,072
thar wrote:
How do they possibly know if the kids have phones on them? I agree not to use them, but to ban them and force the kids to leave them outside means you have some power to check their bags as they enter. How police state is that!

Just read the story. Metal detectors? Sheesh. What did they do to get into that state.
edit - no offense. It just strikes me a shocking and outrageous. Maybe it is normal for some.

Believe it or not, there is a need, in some schools, to scan students to ensure they are not bringing knives, guns or other weapons into the school. These items can seriously impact order in the classroom.

The new policy seems sensible in that it allows school administrators to set policies appropriate to local conditions.
Gary98
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 11:12:19 AM

Neurons: 5,804,368
Time is changing.
Corner of Josh
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 2:07:09 PM

Neurons: 37,558
Absolutely agree with the ban. Impossible to learn when you have a phone.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 3:19:57 PM

Neurons: 2,599,403
I couldn't believe this article! Gee they do some crazy things in foreign countries!

Roaming vans? Surely people in vans hanging around schools are more of a danger to schoolkids than guns in class?

My friend works as a courier & once after making a delivery to a primary school, he had no more deliveries to make so, he had to wait for his next job to come in over the phone. He was already parked in free parking, in the shade, so he started to read a book while he waited. Then the cops came! They wanted to know why the hell he was sitting parked out the front of a primary school in the middle of the day. He told them about his delivery to the school, he asked the cops to check, but the cops said it was the school who reported him!
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 3:21:09 PM

striker wrote:
cell phone use should be ban when driving

It is banned in Australia, should be worldwide.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 3:21:57 PM

something went wrong & my post was duplicated - sorry I can't delete post.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:52:25 PM

Neurons: 37,072
As a x-teacher I would hope that the phones would remain off during class time, but then kids do tend to forget something's at times, don't they (we)...