mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
debacle Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,487
debacle

(noun) A sudden, disastrous collapse, downfall, or defeat; a rout.

Synonyms: fiasco

Usage: The team had had high hopes before the debacle of their final game, in which they did not manage to score any points.
Dr WWWW
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 12:21:23 AM

Neurons: 10,072
debacle (n.) "disaster," 1848, from French débâcle "downfall, collapse, disaster" (17c.), a figurative use, literally "breaking up (of ice on a river)," extended to the violent flood that follows when the river ice melts in spring; from débâcler "to free," from Middle French desbacler "to unbar," from des- "off" + bacler "to bar," from Vulgar Latin *bacculare, from Latin baculum "stick" (see bacillus). Sense of "disaster" was present in French before English borrowed the word.

From the Online Etymology Dictionary
Dr WWWW
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 12:31:07 AM

My outflow of words on this topic has been a great debacle, due to the late hour.
Mehrdad77
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 12:34:34 AM

Neurons: 478,043
A sudden breakdown = collapse

The Wall Street debacle of 1929
walirlan
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 3:01:46 AM

Neurons: 253,078
1a (1) : a breaking up of ice in a river (2) : the rush (as of water and ice) that follows such a breaking up b : a violent destructive flood

2: a sudden breaking up or breaking loose : a violent dispersion or disruption (as of an army or mob) : stampede, rout

<Custer's debacle on the Little Big Horn — Seth Agnew>

3a : a disastrous collapse

<an economic debacle>

b : a complete failure : fiasco

<The debacle of his first novel, “Sister Carrie,” in 1900, still haunted him … — Richard Lingeman, New York Times Book Review, 8 Mar. 1992>

Origin of DEBACLE

French débâcle, from débâcler to unbar, unbolt, from Middle French desbacler, from des- de- + bacler to bar, bolt, from Old Provençal baclar, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin bacculare, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin bacculum stick, staff, alteration of Latin baculum — more at bacterium

First Known Use: 1802 (sense 1a(1))

Related to DEBACLE

Synonyms:

apocalypse, calamity, cataclysm, catastrophe, disaster (also débâcle), tragedy

Antonyms:

blockbuster, hit, smash, success, winner

Related Words:

bloodbath, collapse, crash, meltdown; Armageddon, doomsday, end-time; convulsion, paroxysm, upheaval; accident, casualty, fatality; misadventure, mischance, misfortune, mishap; blast, blow, double whammy, one-two (or one-two punch)

Near Antonyms:

godsend, manna, windfall
David S. Cohen
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 5:46:14 AM

Neurons: 3
Vis-à-vis Debacle, in the word origins traced to débâcler, from the Fr. infinitive meaning To Unbar or Unbolt, from bâcler (with or without circonflex, je ne sais pas) to bar or to bolt (as in Bâcle meaning buckle, I wonder) but then connects to bacculum, a Vulgate latin word for stick or staff, then connected to bacillus:

Here's what caught my attention, posted on 9 january by dr wwww:

debacle (n.) "disaster," 1848, from French débâcle "downfall, collapse, disaster" (17c.), a figurative use, literally "breaking up (of ice on a river)," extended to the violent flood that follows when the river ice melts in spring; from débâcler "to free," from Middle French desbacler "to unbar," from des- "off" + bacler "to bar," from Vulgar Latin *bacculare, from Latin baculum "stick" (see bacillus). Sense of "disaster" was present in French before English borrowed the word.
from the Online Etymology Dictionary

I am not quite sure how to proceed now with the comment I wished to make about the etymological regression from 'debacle' to 'disaster', related somehow toward the end (though really, near the beginning) to a 'bacillus' except for the fact that I have lived through a medical and human disaster of epic proportions related to a virus, which tho I know it is different from a bacillus in its particulars, is nonetheless very similar in its general definition, namely a tiny tiny tiny agent that is literally, used correctly, microscopic but which nonetheless can sicken the person or large mammal who comes into contact with it without immunity or defense even unto death.

Is this another reason why "The Walking Dead'" is so scary and so compelling and so much in my thoughts as I rewatch it from Episode One, Season One during this midseason break in Season Five??? having survived that Debacle and yet never far from thoughts of its continuing effect, not entirely sure that it is not waiting quietly in the wings somewhere, having marshalled all its own resouces to great the Virus's version of anti-virals and the Bacillus's miracle anti-penicillin penicillin, called what Bacillusillin ? BaccilusSillin?
striker
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 9:34:46 AM

Neurons: 4,765,584
the fiasco of terrorist around the world must stop
Dr WWWW
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 11:34:49 AM

Strictly speaking, a disaster is a "bad star", i.e., a stroke of bad luck. While a debacle is one form of this, it seems to more correctly describe a torrent of bad luck, released by a misstep which opens the floodgates.
Dialectrum
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 1:29:12 PM

Neurons: 17,968
As a Denver Broncos fan, I am well-accustomed to debacles.
Irma Crespo
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 7:51:48 PM

Neurons: 107,319
ROGET´S INTERNATIONAL THESAURUS.- debacle . 691 DESTRUCTION NOUNS 4. debacle, (F.); cataclysm, catastrophe,; breakup, breaking up; break-down, collapse,; crash, smash, smashup, crack-up (coll.); wreck, shipwreck, (fig.); cave-in, cave (both coll.); washout. The debacle scaused by the tsunami was incredible.