mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Status Update Saves Stranded Hiker Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 5:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,209
Status Update Saves Stranded Hiker

A resourceful emergency dispatcher used social media to help save a hiker who plunged 150 feet (45 m) off a cliff into a tree near Sacramento, California, this week. After a 911 call by the hiker's son was disconnected, dispatchers tried in vain to determine the location using the cell phone’s coordinates—until a dispatch trainee Googled the injured man’s name. She soon found his Facebook page, saw an earlier status update about his hike, and sent rescue crews to his location. The man was treated for broken bones and a head injury. More...
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 10:40:32 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
I've got a multi-tool knife on my keys, not a proper Swiss army knife, but it'll help me hack off my leg if I have to (slowly), but I'm still not getting on facebook! Not talking
Cat
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 10:58:38 AM

Neurons: 194,017
Clever gal!
striker
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 12:40:03 PM

Neurons: 5,079,026
resourceful youth boys
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 12:56:20 PM

Neurons: 699,913
Awesome article, very clever gal indeed.....but like you NeuroticHellFem NO WAY for me on Facebook....I think I'd better get me an Swiss Army knife, probably not use it...but when they find me they'll think I was prepared.....Thanks

Oh, Happy New Year to you, NeuroticHellFem, Cat and Striker. Pray
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 1:20:20 PM

hedy mmm wrote:
Awesome article, very clever gal indeed.....but like you NeuroticHellFem NO WAY for me on Facebook....I think I'd better get me an Swiss Army knife, probably not use it...but when they find me they'll think I was prepared.....Thanks

Oh, Happy New Year to you, NeuroticHellFem, Cat and Striker. Pray

Happy New Year! Dancing
d_marx
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 2:34:01 PM

Neurons: 2,001
In a jam, I suppose it would be worth using Facebook if people know who you are, but equally easy as texting the cops or remembering to tell 911 my number so they can track the signal from the phone. Resourceful if anything.
TB Turtle
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 4:50:26 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
Oh boy, leave it to a U,K, girl to come up with a knife. I'd much rather shoot a pistol to direct attention rather than slowly hack away at my leg with a pen knife.

No, I am not kidding ;-}
Dr WWWW
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 5:09:56 PM

Neurons: 10,072
Last year Christmas, we were celebrating at a friends home when the gas company responded to a complaint of gas odor. Our neighbor, not knowing our cell phone numbers, messaged my daughter on Facebook. Thus alerted, I was able to speed (in excess) home and let the inspectors in. Luckily smell was coming from outside, well away from the house but they didn't need to chop the door down to find out.

Facebook isn't just food pictures and cat videos.
Gary98
Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 8:24:16 PM

Neurons: 5,916,381
Daemon wrote:
Status Update Saves Stranded Hiker

A resourceful emergency dispatcher used social media to help save a hiker who plunged 150 feet (45 m) off a cliff into a tree near Sacramento, California, this week. After a 911 call by the hiker's son was disconnected, dispatchers tried in vain to determine the location using the cell phone’s coordinates—until a dispatch trainee Googled the injured man’s name. She soon found his Facebook page, saw an earlier status update about his hike, and sent rescue crews to his location. The man was treated for broken bones and a head injury. More...

Love a good ending anyway we can get it
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 1:12:21 PM

TB Turtle wrote:
Oh boy, leave it to a U,K, girl to come up with a knife. I'd much rather shoot a pistol to direct attention rather than slowly hack away at my leg with a pen knife.

No, I am not kidding ;-}

The ignorance of the yanks in relation to geography always astounds me (& most of the rest of the world). Australia is not in the U,K, as you put it, & at 48 I'm hardly a "girl" anymore!