mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,128
A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 1:20:43 AM

Neurons: 249,307
Daemon wrote:

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Lord Darlington, a sort of cynic himself, is not to be trusted with somebody's wife; at any rate, coming from him the quotation couldn't possibly refer to:

Cynic: A member of a sect of ancient Greek philosophers who believed virtue to be the only good and self-control to be the only means of achieving virtue.
Clairinde
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 3:06:49 AM

Neurons: 10,439
And there is more:
And a Sentimental is a man who sees a ridiculous value in all things, and do not know a single actual market value.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 4:50:51 AM

Neurons: 805,365
I think cynicism is a survival reflex practiced by people who undergo a period of depression or unhappiness in their lives. It is not all negative when you can learn from it. Cynical people can be the best critics. As long as they're not too much in despair.
Bareskin2000
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:21:23 AM

Neurons: 471,878
I thought that was a woman!
walirlan
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:23:58 AM

Neurons: 253,078
The depth of these words is awesome.
Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:39:01 AM

Neurons: 361,581
What a valuable talent, though it sounds like a typical bankster...
striker
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 10:34:52 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
cynics are blind to the world at large
Omar Mariani
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:46:31 PM

Neurons: 76,546
Knowing the price of something, no matter how expensive, does not automatically make anybody appreciate its real worth.- This is true of cinics, sceptics, prophets of doom and quite a few others
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 2:38:27 PM

Neurons: 37,072
So very, very true, especially in todays age....
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 4:08:49 PM

Neurons: 37,072
This excerpt from the piece regarding Oscar, "Influenced by the aesthetic teachings of Walter Pater and John Ruskin, Wilde became the center of a group glorifying beauty for itself alone, and he was famously satirized (with other exponents of "art for art's sake")...." is important, in that it shows the intelligent side of anesthetist, one that is almost ALWAYS over looked by the radical Christian right and completely lost by those that are brainwashed by foolish stories from a story-book, referred to, as the bible.
Miriam...
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 9:49:35 PM

Neurons: 12,634
I think this is one of Oscar Wilde's more brilliant quotes.

I personally think this quote is a about person who has lost all trust and faith in his or her fellow man; one who has become so cynical that he or she cannot believe that anything has value beyond its price tag. It is about one who has lost their faith in humanity so completely - that only money has value, and is the only underlying reality that one can believe in; for it is the only thing that can be trusted and relied upon to be true.

A cynic is a person who cannot believe in any good, human quality; one who sneers and ridicules those who do; one who is angered - or worse - merely annoyed with those whom he or she perceives as insincere pretenders of innocence, noble or selfless gestures of goodwill; and who conduct themselves and their with dignity and grace; and who try to live as honorably as they are able .

A cynic is one who cannot see the 'trees' for the 'forest'...

A cynic expects exacting perfection from others, but treats him or
herself with a different standard.

A cynic is one who is obsessed with 'ferreting out' everyone *eles''* lies -
but justifies his or her own. In fact, he or she doesn't lie. They only tell the truth about *others*,
and do not realize, it is but for the kindness of *others* that the their lies and flaws are not mentioned.

The cynic is obsessed with criticism and judgement
of everyone but themselves. It never crossed their mind that
they themselves are flawed,
So intent they are in exposing the hypocracy he or she is so keen on
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 12:03:13 AM

Neurons: 350,540
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 12:08:36 AM

Neurons: 350,540
Pieter_Hove wrote:
I think cynicism is a survival reflex practiced by people who undergo a period of depression or unhappiness in their lives. It is not all negative when you can learn from it. Cynical people can be the best critics. As long as they're not too much in despair.

Agreed, Pieter. It has a place in differnet facets of life. In my lifetime, cynicism has saved me a small fortune by averting me from bad investments. More times than I care to remember, I've seen the eternal optimism of other investors and businessmen lead them to crushing financial disaster due to a lack of even basic skepticism.
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 12:48:02 AM

Daemon wrote:

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Let the cynic, then, teach the optimist what he knows best, but will the optimist see the value of that?
Miriam...
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 1:53:33 AM

Neurons: 12,634
I think the optimist has to learn the hard way that all people are not good; which is a hard lesson to learn. Perhaps one needs to suffer many losses and much pain before one begins to recognize the good from the bad.

I think this is the point; whether it be applied to the cynic or to the optimist.

The cynic must not be so cynical he or she cannot recognize earnestness and sincerity. And the optimist, so blindly trusting that they are unable to acknowledged that they are indeed staring into the fathomless depths of evil; or that, they are unable to see the many disguises of good that predators often cloak themselves in...generally it's too late.
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, January 4, 2015 2:45:49 PM

Hi Miriam: Your last sentence hints at idealism, the idealist representing what might or should be, rather than what is or seems to be.
That view of the world, of course, would be ideal, if at all possible.
But you are certainly right: there are flaws in both cynical and optimistic views, and we can only seek and hope for a balanced one.

That in turn means that there is much learning to be done reciprocally between the cynic and the optimist, because they both have their story to tell.