mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
J.R.R. Tolkien Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,209
J.R.R. Tolkien

Though we know him today as the author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings—the creator of the fantastic Middle Earth, the inventor of hobbits and orcs and Elvish, indeed the "father of modern fantasy literature"—Tolkien was also a respected medieval scholar and professor. He worked briefly for The Oxford English Dictionary, taught at Leeds University and then Oxford, and produced a landmark lecture on Beowulf. For whom did Tolkien write The Hobbit? More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 3:58:32 AM

Neurons: 2,194,036
Great day for all Tolkien fans. We are lucky that he survived The Great War!
striker
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 10:33:34 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
growing up everyone in my school had to read it
capitán
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 11:41:24 AM

Neurons: 28,396
Part of the lost generation... but quite different in his writing.
I´ve spent many time reading his words...he was different, completely.

I think people truly underestimate Tolkien,
but I know that he was in a different channel than everybody else in the world.

It is a shame what they did to The Hobbit stories in the movie.
Perhaps somebody thought they were better fantasy writers than Tolkien.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 2:35:51 PM

Neurons: 37,072
One really GREAT story teller.......
Wanderer
Posted: Saturday, January 3, 2015 4:47:42 PM

Neurons: 78,988
My sister read The Hobbit to me one summer. She was in college and a journalism major. She was a voracious reader and had read it and was starting over, so she read to me. I had been sick with viral pneumonia and was still in recovery at home. Sometimes I read aloud, too. She had dislocated lenses and I like reading. I used to have a good voice, but the poems and elvish were her specialty. Just as we got to the part where they are in the Misty Mountains I began to get a headache. I lay on the couch and quietly fell into a coma. I had encephalitis. For days I dreamed and wondered around with the dwarves. Of course, I was in the hospital by that time. My sister sat at my bedside and read to me. Somehow, I seemed to hear her and it was that that brought me back. She's been gone for ten years, but I read it every year since she's been gone.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 9:56:20 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
Wanderer wrote:
My sister read The Hobbit to me one summer. She was in college and a journalism major. She was a voracious reader and had read it and was starting over, so she read to me. I had been sick with viral pneumonia and was still in recovery at home. Sometimes I read aloud, too. She had dislocated lenses and I like reading. I used to have a good voice, but the poems and elvish were her specialty. Just as we got to the part where they are in the Misty Mountains I began to get a headache. I lay on the couch and quietly fell into a coma. I had encephalitis. For days I dreamed and wondered around with the dwarves. Of course, I was in the hospital by that time. My sister sat at my bedside and read to me. Somehow, I seemed to hear her and it was that that brought me back. She's been gone for ten years, but I read it every year since she's been gone.

What a hell of a place to get "lost", the Misty Mountains! How touching that you would share this with us. Thank you Wanderer.

I'm a true nerd, I love Tolkien, Beowulf & the Norse sagas, (Volsunga Saga is my favourite). What an unbelievable imagination Tolkien had!