mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Signs of Spring Options
rivershin
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:59:30 PM

Neurons: 102
What are some of the early signs of spring where you live?

Here in the Pacific Northwest the eagles are the first arrivals. They swoop and sail and dive, never moving a feather as they scan the Columbia River in search of fish. A miracle to watch, close and yet so far away, wholly in their own world, leaving us admiring, stranded in the gravity of ours.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:21:58 PM

Neurons: 7,777
The cuckoo's coo-coo marks the advent of spring here in India. In fact I can hear it even as I write.
Strangely though, the cuckoo bird coos even during winter or other seasons. This I have noticed has been happening for the last decade or so. It wasn't so before that. Perhaps a sad reminder that the seasons are indeed getting all messed up.
In fact, spring hardly arrived this year in India. It was summer almost immediately after winter.
DarkMoon
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:49:42 PM

Neurons: 46,684
It was a cloudy and rainy weather in Poland, though it's the first day of spring. The shy signs of coming spring are looming into view. Thick cover of snow melted a few weeks ago and the single blades of grass deprived of the onerous burden began to emerge. Soon the first leaves and flowers buds profusely will cover twigs and beds. Birds are circling around and hailing each other. Temperatures are palpably rising. However, like it happened before, I suppose that spring will pass rapidly, and we will welcome the summertime. Springs are becoming to be a shorter and fewer noticeable season year by year.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:50:55 PM

Neurons: 7,777
DarkMoon wrote:
Springs are becoming to be a shorter and fewer noticeable season year by year.

Isn't that sad?:(
DarkMoon
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:54:00 PM

Neurons: 46,684
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Springs are becoming to be a shorter and fewer noticeable season year by year.

Isn't that sad?:(

Yeah, it is. Though, I suppose people became accustomed to it, because it's not a rapid process. Spring lasts just enough time to do some cleanings at house. :)
TL Hobs
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:26:36 PM

Neurons: 6,101
The river ice breaks up and water flows again, the bears come out of hibernation and are grouchy, looking for food and the spring snows are heavier and deeper. Also, the days are getting longer until the summer solstice, when we get 20 hours of daylight per day.
schrodinger's cat
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:33:24 PM

Neurons: 1,977
These guys, though I haven't seen them yet this year. Otherwise, the snow has melted away and it is much warmer now (I'm no longer freezing when waiting for the bus in early morning).

HWNN1961
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:08:26 PM

Neurons: 9,763
Here in Upstate NY, the first signs are in full swing:

The daffodils and tulips are coming up (just the leaves, no stalks or flowers for some time yet).

Many of the seasonal birds are back: and their constant chatter and twittering means that the turf wars for best nest sites, territories, and mates have begun in earnest.

Also, the Ducks are back. In my neighborhood, you have to keep your eyes open this time of year....there will be Momma duck, followed by a neat line of baby ducks, and they don't follow the rules of the road! More than once I've had to come to a full stop and idle my car as momma and the ducklings march dutifully by on errands known only to themselves.

The grass is green, the snow is long gone, and the sun feels warm on my face again!

(I moved this from the other location that this thread was in).

Let me add a couple I've thought of:

I went to move some chairs on the back porch before heading in to work the other day: it was around daybreak. A beatiful clear sky. The air was crisp, but definately not bitter any more. As I moved the furniture, I heard the cooing of a Morning Dove. That ululation: ooo, ooo, oooaaaooooo, is so haunting, and something I didn't know I'd missed until I hear her haunging voice in the half-light of dawn. It was a very good way to start the day!

deebee
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:24:22 PM

Neurons: 573
Whilst you all discuss the joys of Spring, here in Australia we have now entered Autumn. This too has it's pleasures - the nights aren't as humid & sticky thus aiding sleep and the tourists have gone home thus enabling life to proceed at a more sedate pace!
twinsonic
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:45:05 PM

Neurons: 1,322
"Early signs of spring?" Here in Northern California we already had our early spring! The fruit trees already bloomed, the freshias are just about done, and I just planted tomatoes. Even though our winters aren't snowy or cold (relatively speaking) we do have a noticable spring. Lots of flowering trees and most yards have bulbs in bloom. One sure sign that winter is over, the lawn grows enough to need mowing. But, then again, the weeds are up too. A personal sign is that we put out the yard chairs and picnic table again.
metaltoad
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:53:56 PM

Neurons: 15
well, for us, snow was the first sign of spring.
Desiree
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 1:55:48 AM

Neurons: 207,221

Here in Chile, we are entering Autumn, but Spring is the most beautiful season for me . It begins
September 21st, September 18th and 19th , we celebrate our Independence Day with many parades and hearing our folklore music and dancing "cueca" our National dance,all houses with our flag and many ,many activities.
That´s the first sign of the coming of Spring. Then a warm and soft wind appears and my big garden begins to dress with multiple colors, roses ,buganvillas, hortensias,jazmin some fruit -trees fill the air with their parfums. The grass looks like a green carpet. I live near the sea 100 meters, so on week-ends or in the afternoon , we run in the beach with Sakura my fox-terrier,nobody in. If we go early in the morning ,we can see the fishermen in their boats and the sea-gulls and pelicans noises. I love the fresh air of the sea and
the soft wind of spring. Now , I feel nostalgia, so much to wait for Spring.
Antler
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:13:35 AM

Neurons: 129
In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan we are having an early Spring. The last ski hill still open closed this weekend. Usually there are a couple more weeks of skiing up here. Critters are showing up; we already had a skunk or two meander through, and there are already signs of the raccoons, so possums are sure to follow. I have not heard a coyote in a couple of weeks. These are all vernal stimuli.

Winters in the UP are very cold, and usually last longer than this one is. This is not to say we cannot get another snow storm before it is all said and done. Typically, we get our first really big storm before the end of November, and the last one comes near the end of March. This year it seems like the ends have been clipped off. Which is rotten news for the local economy. Winter is a big tourist deal up here. What our friend in Australia is describing as their tourist season ends is what we are experiencing here.

Incidentally, Summers are to die for up here. The temps never get above 80 degrees, it's usually in the 70's. It's alot like Frisco, there is a cool, moist breeze all the time, only it is off the enormous surface of freshwater Lake Superior, It is pretty damn yummy smelling as the morning fog rolls over the myriad of coniferous species. Mix that with the fresh Spring bloom and you are pretty well knocked out for the day. Nights are cool. The air is clean and so is the water; surprisingly low iron content in many springs and wells.

As far as birds go, we have a lot of Winter birds here, so it is hard to tell when the migrations return, at least for me, I guess I am less sensitive to that. The birds are pretty noisy in the morning all year round, even when it is very cold.
jinsy
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:19:01 AM

Neurons: 93
spring season comes between summer and winter...
the resemblance of the spring season are blooming of flowers..
Antler
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:46:36 AM

Neurons: 129
I'll stick with the Science: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernal_equinox
Vickster
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 10:26:26 AM

Neurons: 7,211
First signs of spring here in Massachusetts are the flowers... the snow melts and the rain starts... but the beautiful buds peek out of the ground..
Also.. the idiots who decide to wear their shorts and tank tops like it's 90 degrees... Honestly, it's usually only 60 degrees and they break out the summer clothes.. It's kinda funny...
Cass
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 1:27:27 PM

Neurons: 1,770
It was trying to snow again this morning. This is the deep South, for Pete's sake - enough already. So far all we can see here are daffodils and the red bud trees
blooming. And Forsythia. But I know spring is here for real because every time we leave the garage door open birds try to build nests in there. I wouldn't mind except we feel badly about sleeping in and not getting the door open again for the birds to go out and eat.
Yorker
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 2:57:43 PM

Neurons: 2,084
Spring is here at last, if rather late. It's my favourite season, everything is fresh and ready to burst into flower. My Sunday morning was spent wandering round a garden centre and I bought some new perennials which I planted in the afternoon - I am keeping my fingers crossed there will be no more ground frost. Snowdrops, crocuses are in flower and daffodils are a little late but will flower shortly.

I have not heard the first cuckoo, but I believe they are now very rare in the UK, and only arrive here later in the spring, but I may be wrong. My garden is full of other birds busy building nests and the ones I hear first thing in the morning are the blackbirds, they sings so beautifully.

Lady Penelope
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:31:14 PM

Neurons: 1,107
The clocks go on an hour next weekend, spring will be official. I have Daffs and Crocus in bloom, buds just about to open on the trees. I love it, the warm weather is coming at last, it seems to have been a long winter.
Clinton22
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:57:00 AM

Neurons: 3
[quote=schrodinger's cat]These guys, though I haven't seen them yet this year. Otherwise, the snow has melted away and it is much warmer now (I'm no longer freezing when waiting for the bus in early morning).

Wow this flowers looks so beautiful and rustic ...whats this flowers name and where can i find this flowers ???
srirr
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:10:32 AM

Neurons: 484,288
"If winter comes, can spring be far behind?" ~ Shelley
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:06:33 AM

Neurons: 591,579
Clinton22 wrote:

Wow this flowers looks so beautiful and rustic ...whats this flowers name and where can i find this flowers ???

It's Common snowdrop, Galanthus nivalis (family Amaryllidaceae).
Snowdrops are among the first bulbs to bloom in spring. In Finland it is called Lumikello, Snow bell. It grows up here in the North only planted.

[image not available]