mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Ticker-Tape Parades Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Ticker-Tape Parades

Ticker-tape parades were originated in New York City by Grover Whalen, the city's official greeter from 1919 to 1953. The welcome ceremonies he staged for Charles Lindbergh and returning soldiers from both world wars, among others, featured a festive snow of confetti—originally ticker-tape from stockbrokers' offices in lower Manhattan—thrown onto the parade from the tall buildings along the route. Today the parades most often fete sports champions. What is the "Canyon of Heroes"? More...
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 3:21:03 AM

Neurons: 249,307
The section of lower Broadway through the Financial District, Canyon of Heroes, has yet to see the "due honors" to those who championed the seven years curse, and counting, on the American economy.
Omar Mariani
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 9:19:21 AM

Neurons: 76,546
Canyon of Heroes is occasionally used to refer to the section of lower Broadway in the Financial District
striker
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 12:17:04 PM

Neurons: 5,079,026
exciting times
Barnacle Barney Bill
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 7:35:24 PM

Neurons: 117,020
Verbatim wrote:
The section of lower Broadway through the Financial District, Canyon of Heroes, has yet to see the "due honors" to those who championed the seven years curse, and counting, on the American economy.

I am not sure what you mean by "seven years curse" but the American economy seems to be doing very well. I would not trade our economy for any other country's economy.
Dr WWWW
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 9:44:23 PM

Neurons: 10,072
Barnacle Barney Bill wrote:
Verbatim wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by "seven years curse" but the American economy seems to be doing very well. I would not trade our economy for any other country's economy.

I'm with Barnacle wondering what the 7 year curse is.

That said, those who put us in the very costly subprime mortgage crisis and walked off rich deserve a parade of dishonor, in which matter other than ticker tape is dropped on them.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, January 2, 2015 9:47:46 PM

Neurons: 249,307
Here, see the seven years curse in plain language, mine was a bit metaphorical obviously. "The good news: We’re back to 2008 job levels. That’s also the bad news."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/06/06/the-good-news-were-back-to-2008-job-levels-thats-also-the-bad-news/

Well, at least one of you got the irony right.