mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Is there such a word as unproposely? Options
Eurydice
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:05:42 AM

Neurons: 126
I saw it used in the English translation of a song but I'm not sure if such a word exists since both tfd and merriam webster online don't have it.Think
curt1124
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:49:06 AM

Neurons: 15
My guess is the English translation you speak of intended to say unpurposely which I would take to mean something unintended. It's an awkward construction but it seems viable.
Eurydice
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 12:08:10 AM

I agree. I saw it used by two other different people as well though so I wanted to make sure before I jump to any conclusions.
Eurydice
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 12:09:23 AM

Ooops... I didn't even notice that my question has been posted in the games thread.Brick wall
bandllee
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:24:44 PM

Neurons: 129
In the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2nd Edition (1993), "unpurposely" (adv.) is in a list of the prefix un-. The meaning given for "purposely" is 1. intentionally; deliberately: He tripped me purposely. 2. with the particular purpose specified: I wore that suit purposely to make a good impression. So, I'm guessing that "unpurposely" would mean not deliberately or intentionally. Hope this helps (although when typing "unpurposely" on this site it is marked as a misspelling.)
Eurydice
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:56:43 PM

It does. Thanks Bandllee! Thanks Curt! :)
Clement
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:52:06 AM

Neurons: 264
If you indeed saw the word unproposely, especially related to a song, the word must be solecistic. Meaning: the word isn't valid but, to the author, might have been the best fit for a particular situation. Sort of a "poetic license" and it occurs commonly in poetry and song lyrics. If that is the case, I would take it literally, as an antonym to propose. But, the consensus in this forum is that it might have been unpurposefully which, though possible, sounds equally awkward.

Good luck in your search!

Applause What could be ill if you are well?