The difference between 'I' and 'me' & 'We' and 'us'[Personal pronouns] Options
A cooperator
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:22:17 PM

Neurons: 14,725
Hi Everyone!

First:

When looking up 'I,me, We, us' in the Longman dictionary, I found out:

Quote:
('I'The subject of a verb, 'me' the object of a verb) is used by the person speaking or writing to refer to himself or herself
('We' The subject of a verb, 'us' The object of a verb) is used by the person speaking or writing to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people :

My question is: As long as 'we' refers to more than one, then why are there things mentioned in singular, such as ' person, himself, herself, one' in [('We' The subject of a verb, 'us' The object of a verb) is used by the person speaking or writing to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people']

It should have been said 'by the persons speaking or writing to refer to themselves, and more other people:' OR 'We and us are 1st person plural pronouns, which means that they are used by more than one person to refer to themselves.'

Second:
Since I am only expecting that 'me' and 'us' can only be used as object pronouns(after the action of verb),I got confused when I saw this e-mail message below, especially when 'us' is being used a subject pronoun. Do you think it is incorrect, as I think.

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Posterior our conversation earlier today, us at HP are pleased to provide you with our e-mail address.

I know that The difference between I and me & We and us:is::
* "We/I" do things. Things are done to "us/me"
* Both I and me are 1st person singular pronouns, which means that they are used by one person to refer to himself or herself. I is the subject pronoun, used for the one "doing" the verb. Me is the object pronoun, used as the object (or receiver) of the action of the verb.
* Both We and us are 1st person plural pronouns, which means that they are used by more than one person to refer to themselves. We is the subject pronoun, used for the ones "doing" the verb. Us is the object pronoun, used as the object (or receiver) of the action of the verb.

I read this below somewhere, however, it didn't help me to get the answer on my second question.
Quote:
Using I and Me, We and Us Correctly
Rules:

1. I and Me
When I or me is joined by and to a noun, the noun comes first.

Example:
In phrases like Ted and I or Carla and me, the pronoun I or me should come after the noun.

Wrong: I and Meg will go.
Right: Meg and I will go.

2. We and Us
Use we instead of us directly before a noun when the pronoun is the subject. Sometimes the pronoun we or us is paired with a noun: we boys, us players. To decide whether to use we or us, leave out the noun. If the pronoun is the subject, use we. If it is not the subject, use us. Look at this sentence.

Example:
(We, Us) girls learned a new dance.
We learned a new dance.
Us learned a new dance.
Dad sent (we, us) boys on an errand.
Dad sent we on an errand.
Dad sent us on an errand.

kasparijus
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 1:09:10 AM

Neurons: 174,194
........, we at..... is correct.
dave freak
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 4:14:04 AM

Neurons: 6,668
To cut a long story short, "I" performs a function of the subject, and "me" of the object.

"My mother and I get on well." (not: "My mother and me").

"Let us stay between you and me." (not: "between you and I").

This is, of course, a general frame of the issue. We need well-contextualized sentences with both to analyze them in detail.

leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 11:39:29 AM

Neurons: 31,156
A cooperator wrote:

My question is: As long as 'we' refers to more than one, then why are there things mentioned in singular, such as ' person, himself, herself, one' in [('We' The subject of a verb, 'us' The object of a verb) is used by the person speaking or writing to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people']

It should have been said 'by the persons speaking or writing to refer to themselves, and more other people:' OR 'We and us are 1st person plural pronouns, which means that they are used by more than one person to refer to themselves.'

You are correct that "persons" (or more idiomatically "people") would be grammatically more consistent, yet logically it is quite common for one person to speak for a group — could you imagine an entire company gathered around a keyboard, all typing an email message at the same time?

A cooperator wrote:

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Posterior our conversation earlier today, us at HP are pleased to provide you with our e-mail address.

I wish I had seen this before I answered one of your other topics. This is not well-written at all, and looks a good deal like the work of a non-native speaker of English. Your suspicions are correct.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 10:37:39 PM

Neurons: 230,637
Hi!

A lot has already been answered (very well answered) - this is what I think, in my own words (you will find that it agrees with what has already been said.

I'm answering out-of-sequence!

Secondly - "Us at HP are . . ." is totally and absolutely wrong. Whoever wrote it cannot speak English, or is still learning to speak English.

"Posterior out conversation . . ." is not English.
"Posterior" is a noun or an adjective. What is needed there is a participle, normally - though other combinations of phrases can work. (Any combination of words, which produces an adverbial phrase with ". . . our conversation")

"Following our conversation . . .", "Following on from our conversation . . .", "with reference to our conversation . . ."

Firstly: The descriptions given use 'complex plurals'.
'We' The subject of a verb, is used by the person speaking or writing to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people'
("We" = "Himself and others" or "Herself and others" as a plural subject.)

'Us' The object of a verb) is used by the person speaking or writing to refer to himself or herself and one or more other people'
("Us" = "Himself and others" or "Herself and others" as a plural object.)

The person at HP is sending his/her reply (it is one person) - he/she is referring to himself/herself and everyone else at HP.
"We at HP are pleased" = "I and everyone else at HP are pleased."

The other reference you have quoted is not really about the usages of 'we' and 'us' - it is about how to do two other actions.

1. 'We' and 'us' can (if it is needed or preferred) be replaced by a phrase.
"We" = "My husband and I", "John and I", "My friends and I", "John, Mary, Paul and I"
"Us" = "My husband and me", "John and me", "My friends and me", "John, Mary, Paul and me"
The pronoun always comes last, after the nouns.

2. 'We' and 'us' can be used as appositional pronouns in a phrase. The pronoun always comes first, before the other noun.

"We boys are here." = "We are here, the boys are here, we are the boys." = "The other boys and I are here, the boys are here, we are the boys."

"Dad sent us girls on an errand." = "Dad sent some other girls and I on an errand. Dad sent the girls on an errand. We are the girls."