The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A note from Admin about the new site design Options
TFD
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 11:42:52 AM

The recent site update includes several changes. We updated, revised, and added many new dictionary sources.

Along with this we made many changes that will improve the stability and performance of the site.

The new design of the site is a response to a large amount of feedback from our users requesting a more modern look for the site, which has not been changed significantly for more than 10 years. The new design optimizes the site for all modern browsers and devices and is intended to make our dictionary sources as accessible as possible.

We hope you will find that the changes are very useful as they become more familiar to you.

We greatly appreciate your feedback!

Elorac
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 1:12:00 PM

Neurons: 223,771

Hi,
Whilst I am aware that 'background' colours can be changed on the main page...I am not getting along with the blue
writing.

I love to play 'words within words' but the blue writing is preventing me from looking at the screen. I need black
writing. Can it be changed or be a choice thing?

Carole
TFD
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 1:16:55 PM

Currently, the color can only be changed for the background, but I will share your suggestion with the development team.
Cat
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 1:29:54 PM

Neurons: 194,017
I am logged in and yet when I go to the home page I am logged out. My percentage is not resetting, it is stuck on 200%. I did not receive my daily email either. Are these all consequences of the new changes?
TFD
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 1:31:30 PM

Cat wrote:
I am logged in and yet when I go to the home page I am logged out. My percentage is not resetting, it is stuck on 200%. I did not receive my daily email either. Are these all consequences of the new changes?

We are working to resolve all of these issues.

Please try clearing your browser's cookies and logging in again.

The Word of the Day email will be sent soon, and will return to the normal time tomorrow.
io4yiu
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 1:32:16 PM

Neurons: 162,013
nnorlen wrote:
Currently, the color can only be changed for the background, but I will share your suggestion with the development team.

Ummm, hi... , is there a way I could maybe dim the pages a little?

The white bg is a bit too ..bright : ) .

Thx.

TFD
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 1:35:40 PM

io4yiu wrote:
is there a way I could maybe dim the pages a little?

Unfortunately, for that you'll have to adjust your screen itself.
io4yiu
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 1:40:01 PM

nnorlen wrote:
io4yiu wrote:
is there a way I could maybe dim the pages a little?

Unfortunately, for that you'll have to adjust your screen itself.

Nooooo!.... Not my monitor.... X)
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:37:21 PM

Neurons: 1,396,883
I, too, would like to see black text for WWW. Thanks.

Edit: I'm getting that 'message limit' notice, again, as well.
Cashlin
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:56:24 PM

Neurons: 21,441
I don't know how complicated it would be to do this, or how realistic of a possibility this would be, but I personally love the older design a hundred times more than this new one, and it would be amazing to have an option to switch back to the old design. I have a feeling this isn't something very easy to do with code but I really don't know anything about how that works.
Mv Log
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 3:17:13 PM

Neurons: 39,555
Cashlin wrote:
I have a feeling this isn't something very easy to do with code but I really don't know anything about how that works.

Nevertheless, LiveJournal has somehow managed to install it in its interface.

[image not available]
rogermue
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 3:20:52 PM

Neurons: 34,900
The new login-mode with e-mail address means I have to tip a lot. And is is difficult to see how to pass over to the forum.
The colouring of the first page is meagre.
TFD
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 3:27:35 PM

rogermue wrote:
The new login-mode with e-mail address means I have to tip a lot. And is is difficult to see how to pass over to the forum.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you provide some more details?
Cat
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 4:16:47 PM

Clearing cookies worked.
Cat
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 4:18:22 PM

Well, it worked to get me logged in at the home page, however, I get logged out if I leave the page. I'll just wait for everything to settle.
MelissaMe
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 4:29:44 PM

Neurons: 347,528
nnorlen wrote:
[quote=Cat]I am logged in and yet when I go to the home page I am logged out. My percentage is not resetting, it is stuck on 200%. I did not receive my daily email either. Are these all consequences of the new changes?

We are working to resolve all of these issues.

Please try clearing your browser's cookies and logging in again.

Clearing my browser's cookies and logging in again does not resolve this new problem of today of not being able to log into the main page.

My word games addiction isn't being fed, is all. Whistle
Cat
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 6:00:18 PM

@MelissaMe: Exactly!

Everything seems to be back to normal. Thank you!
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 7:37:30 PM

Neurons: 1,362,725
The Words Within Words text entry field is now cutting off the bottom half of the letters. For example, with a game word of "pathology," the answer of "goop" looks like "oooo" since the letters are cut off.
PuddingRRanger
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 10:02:50 PM

Neurons: 87,520
io4yiu wrote:
nnorlen wrote:

Thx.

It's also too bright for me...
Love the more eye-friendly grey in older ver. better!

At the home page, the characters in Today's Birthday column that I placed on the most left area don't fit into their box.

A lot of things to explore in the new features. Applause
io4yiu
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 11:09:53 PM

pratt wrote:
io4yiu wrote:
nnorlen wrote:

Thx.

It's also too bright for me...
Love the more eye-friendly grey in older ver. better!

At the home page, the characters in Today's Birthday column that I placed on the most left area doesn't fit into its box.

A lot of things to explore in the new features. Applause

>
Hey, glad I'm not the only one see that!

So sorry admins, xD.

Amazon kindle got this 'turn bg black, text white' feature... ;
if you could just.. ...

Tomahawk71
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:43:30 AM

Neurons: 123,003
The option for dimming the background color would be great!
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:53:04 AM

Neurons: 1,725,091
Dear PTB at the TFD:

Okay I am OCD so change really isn't something I cope with well. I am not fond of the new site for a number of reasons and here they are:

1. The writing cuts off. It's hard to know what you just typed when the bottom part of the word cuts off.
2. The letters in WWW are blue which is not a good color to use for many people as it's difficult to read.
3. The answers now in WWW don't line up in columns so it's harder to keep track of the words you write.
4. The spelling bee seems off on the levels. I tried the "expert" today and it seemed as if the words were all either hard or easy but they weren't expert.
5. The new format just seems harder on my eyes for some reason, could be it's too bright as some have pointed out.
6. On my points page I hate not having all my stats where I can easily see them. Now I must futz to get to them. In addition I can set the one I want and have it stick.
(ie: I want to see my activity yet it won't stay on that screen so each time I have to use the drop box to get to that screen.)

It would have been "nice" if before you forced these new changes on your users if you had at least told us they were coming and asked for some input. I feel like I'm on a Beta site and I have no choice but to live with the new changes because it's up to me and my fellow users to work out the bugs for the IT people. Other sites create a Beta site and ask if you want to test it out before they implement changes, but here that's not even on the radar.

I vote with several others for a button that would allow us to switch back to the dinosaur site, at least it was easier on my eyes and easier to navigate for me.

So now you have my input for what it's worth.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:08:30 AM

Neurons: 2,590,862
nnorlen wrote:

I've found the 'tools' icon & clicked on a different square on the 'background', yet there's no change to the background colour. I'm looking at eyeball scorching white, trying to focus on light blue print.

Regarding Spelling Bee: I played yesterday before the change, I used to utilise the Shift+Tab keys to go to my the pronunciation of the new word. Today, I've got to click it with my mouse. Also, the old word doesn't delete itself when I press 'New word'. I've got to delete it myself, then mouse click the pronunciation. Aargh! The 'expert' level words are definitely not 'expert', as Alice Morgan mentioned on another thread. So many dissatisfaction threads, but I thought I'd respond on the Admin posted one.

Match Up: I got 5/5 but no +15 points & no new brain percentage points. I usually go up 1% per word or game I play until I hit 200%.

Hangman: tiny glitch. When I go to 'New Game', I've got to click Shift+Tab or mouse click before I can enter letters.

Thank you, I imagine you're inundated with the changes & complaints.

plmnice
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:16:36 AM

Neurons: 1,979
nnorlen wrote:
The recent site update includes several changes. We updated, revised, and added many new dictionary sources.

Along with this we made many changes that will improve the stability and performance of the site.

The new design of the site is a response to a large amount of feedback from our users requesting a more modern look for the site, which has not been changed significantly for more than 10 years. The new design optimizes the site for all modern browsers and devices and is intended to make our dictionary sources as accessible as possible.

We hope you will find that the changes are very useful as they become more familiar to you.

Something has gone wrong and the match up no longer appears on my page. I have been running your feature for many years and it has developed a very loyal following. I am receiving many complaints about the missing content. Can anyone help to correct this? Many thanks!
Epiphileon
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:32:31 AM

Neurons: 166,376
I do appreciate the update, and all the work that goes into this site. My feeling about the new design is that I prefer the three columns on the home page to be the same width. I really dislike the current homepage color scheme. I would like to change the background, but haven't figured out how to do that yet, I would appreciate that info. It does not seem to be addressed on the help page at the "homepage" link,
۞۩Renata.K.۩۞
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:43:56 AM

Neurons: 210,204
Everything is working perfectly now, except:

1) I am not receiving points for playing Match Up.
2) The expert level in the Spelling Bee is extremely easy.

Thank you for your time and best of luck with the update of TFD; the most informative dictionary online and off.
idk
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:52:31 AM

Neurons: 5,470
nnorlen wrote:

Nice!
asdofindia
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:29:37 PM

Neurons: 391
Ah! I was looking at tfd yesterday and thinking "I've been using this site for years and it still looks just like they way it was when I started using it. See this feed-a-hungry-child ad. It is still there. See this printer-friendly-page. It is still there.

I come back to tfd today and voila!
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:46:00 PM

Neurons: 66,996
rogermue wrote:
The colouring of the first page is meagre.

roger, I found that it isn't necessary to type in your email, just type in your username and password, and you will be logged in. I'm still looking for a link to the forum also, but so far haven't found one. I use my book mark for the page: http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/

Just bookmark once there so you only have to click it to get to the forums.
DaveHaven
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:41:16 PM

Neurons: 25,466
I am not automatically logged in anymore when I visit your site. I am able to log in, but when I return to the home page, it doesn't show that I am logged in. I cleared my cache and nothing changed. I'm running Mac OSX, 10.6.8 and using Safari. Thanks for your great site!
TFD
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:47:14 PM

Please make sure your clear your cache and cookies completely, not just for a particular date range.
IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 4:07:14 PM

Neurons: 563,379
Every time I log in I end up on my 'user' page. When I try to return to the TFD homepage I do get there, but I am logged out. Neither getting rid of my cookies nor emptying my cache makes a difference. Sick
DaveHaven
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 4:26:45 PM

Neurons: 25,466
nnorlen wrote:
Please make sure your clear your cache and cookies completely, not just for a particular date range.

OK, that took care of it. Since you're seeking feedback, I miss the columns in Words Within Words, too. Thank you!
rogermue
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:09:21 PM

Neurons: 34,900
nnorlen wrote:
rogermue wrote:
The new login-mode with e-mail address means I have to type a lot. And it is difficult to see how to pass over to the forum.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you provide some more details?

---
In the meantime I have done my own colouring using the cogwheel symbol.
And just now I discovered I can fill in my password into the field "e-mail address"
and I'm logged in. In order to get to the forum I click on one of the topics in the list
of the forum posts. So everything is fine. Whether everyone will find the loophole to the forum
at once, well, I doubt it. Newcomers might have difficulty.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 2:03:31 AM

Neurons: 1,362,725
nnorlen wrote:

All in all, I'm generally unhappy with most of the changes. The pastel colors for the backgrounds don't compensate for the lack of visual contrast on the page. It seems like it would be a simple option to add the page background color to the user's custom CSS.

Whatever happened to the phrase and guidelines "If it works, don't fix it?"