mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Number 2 Options
Monkeyaround
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 7:41:51 AM

Neurons: 2,159
Push number 2.

Would you ever add "the" in front of number in this case? It seems not to me. Why then wouldn't "the" be used even when refering to numbers on phone buttons or keyboards, at the same time any alphabets on blocks can be referred with "the"?

Thank you
io4yiu
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 8:11:16 AM

Neurons: 162,013
Well, hello,
"Press Number 2."

Isn't it?
Or,
"Please, press the number (meaning the whole phone number from the person you're calling - ) now!"

Is this what you're looking for?
pmjjay
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 9:15:34 AM

Neurons: 9,515
I do suppose you can use both.

Press the number 2/Press number 2.
kasparijus
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 9:45:29 AM

Neurons: 174,194
In my school "the number 2" is not correct.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 11:03:04 AM

Neurons: 69,802
It has to do with the idea of whether you are pressing/choosing/selecting "the number", or "2".

That may be confusing. If I say, "Press/choose/select a number", I am asking someone to select a specific "number". I might tell them which number, or not. But the words "a", or "the" would be used for "number".

When the number is visible, "the" is not necessary because there is only one. So if I say press/choose/select number two, "the" is not necessary to say, because I can see it, and there is only one "number 2".

Elvandil
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 4:10:42 PM

Neurons: 153,179
kasparijus wrote:

That would be because, by and large, teachers are extremely ignorant. The courses they take are simplified and emphasize technique over content. They are still imbued with ideas about discipline from the Middle Ages (when classes began because there was only one copy of a book and the person read it to the others. We have more than one copy now.) Teachers, in the US at least, are the bottom of the barrel and teach because no one else would hire people with no skills. They still teach that Columbus discovered America, that Chinese is written in ideographs that represent what they symbolize (about 12 actually do), and that the Earth orbits the Sun, literally, instead of its being simply a mathematical convenience. It takes a long time to unlearn all the wrong things we get taught.
Crawdaddy
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 8:36:05 PM

Neurons: 2,057
Elvandil wrote:
kasparijus wrote:

That would be because, by and large, teachers are extremely ignorant. The courses they take are simplified and emphasize technique over content. They are still imbued with ideas about discipline from the Middle Ages (when classes began because there was only one copy of a book and the person read it to the others. We have more than one copy now.) Teachers, in the US at least, are the bottom of the barrel and teach because no one else would hire people with no skills. They still teach that Columbus discovered America, that Chinese is written in ideographs that represent what they symbolize (about 12 actually do), and that the Earth orbits the Sun, literally, instead of its being simply a mathematical convenience. It takes a long time to unlearn all the wrong things we get taught.

How terribly hateful!
dave freak
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:37:23 AM

Neurons: 6,668
As Foundit says, the is not needed, as "2" already specifies which number we mean. Number 2. The same goes for one of the most common instructions in class:

"Please open your coursebooks at/on page number 100." No "the" here, because we know the page. 100.

thar
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:41:54 AM

Neurons: 93,553
In many cases you don't need 'number' either.

For interminable music for ten minutes until you give up and hang up the phone, press '2'.
Monkeyaround
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:50:25 AM

FounDit wrote:
It has to do with the idea of whether you are pressing/choosing/selecting "the number", or "2".

That may be confusing. If I say, "Press/choose/select a number", I am asking someone to select a specific "number". I might tell them which number, or not. But the words "a", or "the" would be used for "number".

When the number is visible, "the" is not necessary because there is only one. So if I say press/choose/select number two, "the" is not necessary to say, because I can see it, and there is only one "number 2".

Thank you everyone.
FounDit, I can understand your logic, but I can't see the consistency of the logic applying to other patterns. for example, if you say there is only one 2, then, that also should speak for alphabet 'e'.
two es can exist, but not two 2s? don't they basically have the same characters?
Monkeyaround
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:58:34 AM

Elvandil wrote:
kasparijus wrote:

I think Elvandil, you agree about using "the"? can you tell me your logic and how much it is common to you and people around you.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:12:41 PM

Monkeyaround wrote:
FounDit wrote:

Thank you everyone.
FounDit, I can understand your logic, but I can't see the consistency of the logic applying to other patterns. for example, if you say there is only one 2, then, that also should speak for alphabet 'e'.
two es can exist, but not two 2s? don't they basically have the same characters?

It would be the same. If I say, press/choose/select the letter 'e', that is the same as with '2'. You would say 'the number' 2.

If there is more than one 'e' or more than one 's', then you would have to state which one, the first or the second 'e' or 's'.

Now you could say 'the', and everyone would understand what you meant, but I'm just saying that native speakers wouldn't normally use 'the' in these situations.

It would only be used in some kind of special circumstances, such as a game show, for example, where you would have the numbers 1,2,3 on a board and the host says, "Press/choose the 2". In normal conversation this would not likely be said.
Monkeyaround
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:49:09 AM

Thank you again.

if "the" could be ommited because something is visible and being specific from the conversation, and exists at the moment only one, then while we are outside talking about the sun, why the sun always goes with "the" and so does the sea?

aren't the sun and sea specific and only one, being visible?
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:41:04 AM

Monkeyaround wrote:
Thank you again.

if "the" could be ommited because something is visible and being specific from the conversation, and exists at the moment only one, then while we are outside talking about the sun, why the sun always goes with "the" and so does the sea?

aren't the sun and sea specific and only one, being visible?

Well, I'm teasing only a little bit when I say there are many suns in our galaxy, but only one sun in our solar system, so it is 'the' sun we are talking about. And the same for 'the' sea. There is 'the' Sargasso Sea, 'the' Dead Sea, 'the' Red sea, etc. In fact, there are 108 seas and five oceans on the planet.

In reality, however, it is just the way the language is used; it is how we speak, and it doesn't always make sense. You just have to learn how to do it. It's the same in any language, I suspect.
L.Rai
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:38:40 PM

Neurons: 1,867,794

That would be because, by and large, teachers are extremely ignorant. The courses they take are simplified and emphasize technique over content. They are still imbued with ideas about discipline from the Middle Ages (when classes began because there was only one copy of a book and the person read it to the others. We have more than one copy now.) Teachers, in the US at least, are the bottom of the barrel and teach because no one else would hire people with no skills. They still teach that Columbus discovered America, that Chinese is written in ideographs that represent what they symbolize (about 12 actually do), and that the Earth orbits the Sun, literally, instead of its being simply a mathematical convenience. It takes a long time to unlearn all the wrong things we get taught.[/quote]

Oh please do tell us how you really feel about stupid, uneducated American teachers! The only question I have for you is, where did you get your education Elvandil?
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:30:14 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Evandil wrote : That would be because, by and large, teachers are extremely ignorant.

Why single out American teachers as ' extremely ignorant' ? You have an entire nation to choose from...Whistle

( There aren't enough whistling thingies on the planet to keep me out of trouble for that one... Angel )

L.Rai
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:27:22 AM

excaelis wrote:
Why single out American teachers as ' extremely ignorant' ? You have an entire nation to choose from...Whistle

( There aren't enough whistling thingies on the planet to keep me out of trouble for that one... Angel )

The poster is the one who says US teachers are the worst...not me.

excaelis
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:36:09 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Sorry LR, I know it wasn't you. Just didn't want to re-quote the whole venomous diatribe. I'll edit now.
L.Rai
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:45:08 AM

Angel thanks