mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Is war necessary? Options
Shunyata
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:26:43 PM

Neurons: 81
Hello to everyone here. This is my first time posting a new topic. I have always been battling with this question : Is war necessary? Personally, I can see both sides of the coin, although I'm tempted to lean towards supporting war. I believe war can act as an agent to understanding the value of life, and because it usually means fighting for a cause that you believe is greater than yourself. Of course, war has its destructive effects, which cannot be ignored.

Since I think the question could provide for ambivalent answers, I'd like you guys to rate the necessity of war on a 1-10 scale, where 10 would mean you are strongly against the idea of war. Also, do suggest the reasons for your inclinations!
TYSON
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:53:40 PM

Neurons: 3,793
Tough question. Almost as old as human-kind itself. I dont know the answer. If I did, I'd win the Nobel.
kaleem
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:56:05 PM

Neurons: 9,948
I am strongly against war and I rate it 10, where 10 means strongly against war.

Why?
I don't want to get into lengthy debate. The following quotation is just a reflection of my thoughts;

"It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it takes only twenty seconds of war to destroy him." - Baudouin I

Geeman
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:13:04 PM

Neurons: 125,022
I'm not sure I could answer 1-10 for the necessity of war. I'm not certain it's a necessity at all, though I can't say I see any proof of that assertion.... So, I'd say 0 if that's the scale, but I have to note that that score comes from a rather off-center reading of the word "necessity" rather than something that might be more in line with what you're really asking.
notaalias
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 10:53:23 PM

Neurons: 6
5. It is what it is. At times war is a necessary fact of life, but has always been for the entitlement of the upper classes with the price being paid by the middle and lower classes.
Interested
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:33:27 PM

Neurons: 3
Yes war is necessary to protect property and life even if it coast lives. But mostly war is a failure of statesmanship. A failure to come to terms. If a government interfers in the internal policy of another country it is provoking war even if for well intended reasons.
Ambiha Murthy
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:49:43 PM

Neurons: 950
When it comes to war,

"Theirs not to make reply
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
In to the Valley of death"

'Theirs' here refers to the soldiers in 'Charge of the Light Brigade' by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Most of the wars happen this way only Boo hoo!

JayJay
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:57:23 PM

Neurons: 477
I think you would have to examine the circumstances of each war and rate them individually.I think it is too easy to say "I do not believe in going to war" or that "war is never necessary," but history tells us otherwise. So long as the pursuit of wealth,land,political power,and religious intolerances dominate are everyday existance,then wars will inevitably arise when words are no longer effective.
oxymoron
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:32:56 AM

Neurons: 845
Lunatics that we are, plus history, would dictate a continuance of further conflict and attrocities.

(L+h) x (c+a) = hell on earth. Wish it were 10 on your scale Shunyata.
saintvivant1
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:35:46 AM

Neurons: 117
The way this conundrum is posed makes it hard to answer. Necessary means indispensible, essential, that which can not be done without. So you must describe the complement or context...for what is a war necessary or essential? Many situations come to mind when we take into account why we are going to war. It could be for self defense which most would agree is necessary. It could be for conquest, to gain wealth by taking it from others which does not seem to be necessary. It could be for religious reasons or philisopical reasons or a rebellion against intolerable oppression. Prehaps the question should be, is war necessary to the existence of mankind, to life? Only food shelter and clothing are absolutely necessary for people to live. War is not absolutely necessary to life even though it happens.
rivershin
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:59:46 AM

Neurons: 102
Since we have never been without war on this planet, how would we know?
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:15:51 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Humans have achieved domination over other species on the planet through a blend of intelligence and aggression (very probably strongly interlinked-stupid creatures who are aggressive probably wouldn't last very long). Unfortunately we've run out of species to dominate and have also reached a point where we are forced to compete with our fellow humans for fast depleting resources. In addition we are having to find ways of coping with dangerous ideologies within which human life is not seen as sacrosanct. Last century saw more people killed in conflict than in all previous centuries combined. Our genetic make-up is millions of years old and isn't going to change. I would hesitate suggesting a score of 0 as a great deal of time, thought and effort have gone into peace making undertakings. However I see only a scant chance of our species seeing its way very far into the next century so a score of 1.1 is my bet.
Phil O'Stine
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:53:44 AM

Neurons: 3
Definitely a 5.
Just thought I'd add a couple of my favourite quotes Think

Quote:
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill

Quote:
The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars.
William Westmoreland

Being an engineer I'd say "It depends". War usually comes about due to the failure of politicians to do their job properly and armed forces are unleashed to "sort out the mess".

I find war a very interesting subject, ancient, modern and everything in between. I just regard myself very lucky to have never been asked to fight in a conflict. I think if the politicians studied the horrors and pain of war they may put in a bit more effort to avoid it.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence - Napoleon Bonaparte
buxton
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:57:47 AM

Neurons: 377
Is war necessary? That comes down to whether inequality is necessary - the motive of war is the struggle for power, in a world where we are entitled to take as much as we like at the expense of others.

In modern society, war is sometimes necessary, though few of the wars that have been fought could be justified. And war is a sad indictment, in most cases, of our ability to constrain and moderate the will of those whose hunger for power cannot be sated.

For instance, WWII was arguably needed to halt the (effective and dangerous) spread of Nazism and the growing power of Germany under Nazi rule - particularly as nuclear weapons were being honed. Yet the dominance of Nazism was at least partly caused by democracy's gradual decline in Germany, as the ruling parties oversaw greater instability and caused disillusionment among its citizens. After all, the extreme left wasn't far behind the Nazis in terms of popularity when Hitler was voted into parliament. The ascendancy of Hitler is attributable to democracy's failure to keep him on the fringes by keeping the general population satisfied that revolutionary change wasn't needed.

So war is sometimes needed, but only as a regrettable final attempt to suppress individuals, groups and ideas that threaten society as a whole. For that reason, I probably rank about an 8.

I'd also like to point out that Plato's ideal society, in The Republic, takes into account the necessity to prepare for war.
Vickster
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:17:22 AM

Neurons: 7,211
I hate war...I hate that the innocent suffer in war... but on the other hand, if someone were to try to take my land, my freedom, and most of all my children... I'd fight to the death!! I wouldn't think twice if someone were trying to hurt my child!!

I served in the military...and I hated it... to see the innocent (children) killed, woman raped, animals killed? To see a burning man trying to crawl out of a tank and never make it?? It's horrible!! I saw men and women surrending because their own country was making them fight but without food, proper clothing and means to defend themselves... gladly surrendering to us because they were starving!! To see a man's legs crushed by a tank and screaming from the pain... To see the destruction in the land and peoples lives... I see the veterans on the street because their minds are destroyed by what they've seen or done... I don't know if it's worth it... but again.. I would still fight for my children and couldn't stand by if someone I knew was being raped or killed....
NinjaMonkee
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:38:43 AM

Neurons: 768
I can't say if war is necessary, but I can say that war is human nature. Humans warred in the past, they war now, and they will war until the end of days.
rluna
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:37:16 AM

Neurons: 570
I've always believed the only thing that wins in a war is the economy.Boo hoo!
Cass
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:00:09 PM

Neurons: 1,770
Vickie - How terrible for you to have those memories, which I suppose will never leave you. I am anti-war but I understand there is sometimes no other way. Hindsight can be too late in some cases, as in WWII when Hitler had to be stopped - Buxton said it more eloquently than I. We live in perilous times; addle-pated men have control of nuclear weapon making materials and it seems we are powerless to stop them. We'd like to think that no one would be crazy enough to use WMD but there's no guarantee, is there? I was a child during WWII and I still have vivid memories of being machine-gunned, running for the bomb shelter, the screaming of the rocket and the dreaded silence after the engine stopped - these memories are indelible. Thank you for your service, Vickie.
amedtychick
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:11:56 PM

Neurons: 84
10. War is a necessary evil. It has always existed and will always exist. Unfortunately.
HWNN1961
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:40:53 PM

Neurons: 9,763
My answer to this post is directly related to that on the thread about impefection (the possibility of a perfect person):

Based on my answer that there is only a handful of people throughout history that could be arguably "perfect", then, regrettably:

Yes, war is necessary: in the face of naked aggression:

Example, to stop Hitler's nazis.

No, war isn't necessary: in the name of national jingoism,

Example World War I. All those nations had been spoiling for a fight, and for no good reason. Nothing that could not have been settled by cooler heads and diplomacy.

or:

In the name of religion:

The crusades, the Muslim wars of conquests, and on.

So, I give it a 2. Exhaust all alternatives, but, if in danger, stand up for yourself.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:48:44 PM

Neurons: 1,222
In America, the military is the largest employer and consumer,who puts people to work directly and indirectly.The infra-structure built for the military operation—garrison towns in every state, veterans hospitals in every state,military bases in various parts of the world— must all be put to use and without wars, they are of no use.

This military prowess made America Superpower and in order to maintain the status-quo,it
needs to be at war at any cost,human or otherwise.The price we pay for casualties and collateral damages are minuscule compared to the greater economic good for countries during war—after all,people have to die some how or other! The remedial steps taken to the aftermaths of war are written off as reconstruction and rehabilitation to stimulate the economy further.

American people have grown accustomed to war because of the quality of life they enjoy;except for a handful of citizens who took a direct hit due to the war,who protest—and others like me, give up as it is too formidable to fight. No politician,including the President can escape from succumbing themselves,to err on the side of war.

There are other ways to stimulate economy—by eradicating poverty and illiteracy by building
infrastructure around the world—but we could not achieve these without the acceptance of the recipient countries.It was easier to land in Haiti with the military to help than landing in Somalia where their needs are not dire and trust is not mutual.

The prosperity achieved by these peaceful methods are abiding but America has to retool and make sea changes in their policies to accommodate this far reaching goal. To institute this change in a democratic system is not easy.

TL Hobs
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:02:15 PM

Neurons: 6,101
I am curious why my post to this topic has been removed. If it was offensive, I apologize, although I don't understand what could be considered offensive about it.

Perhaps it was because I find war to be a failure of people to overcome differences by civilized means and should only be considered necessary after all else fails and never as a first solution.

Oh well. Just take me out and shoot me, I guess.Silenced
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:01:28 PM

Neurons: 591,579
TL Hobs wrote:
I am curious why my post to this topic has been removed. If it was offensive, I apologize, although I don't understand what could be considered offensive about it.

Perhaps it was because I find war to be a failure of people to overcome differences by civilized means and should only be considered necessary after all else fails and never as a first solution.

Oh well. Just take me out and shoot me, I guess.Silenced

There it is, in Grammar section. PO changed this thread to better place as advised and the first posts stayed in http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst7103_Is-war-necessary-.aspx.

Just wish we could move our own threads ourself. Anxious
TL Hobs
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:45:07 PM

Neurons: 6,101
Thanks, jj
Taxijack
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:53:51 AM

Neurons: 186
I know that war is offensive to most sensible people. On the other hand,, just look at all the vast technical advances they have brought.Where would we be today without the great advances made from World Wars I & II. Think about it, there are two sides to every coin.
SnehaJain
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:36:31 AM

Neurons: 246
People have been waging wars for centuries now. But I don't think its necessary. In school we had this poem, The Man he Killed very thoughtful indeed.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
Bertrand Russell
Vickster
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:26:58 AM

Neurons: 7,211
Cass wrote:
Vickie - How terrible for you to have those memories, which I suppose will never leave you. I am anti-war but I understand there is sometimes no other way. Hindsight can be too late in some cases, as in WWII when Hitler had to be stopped - Buxton said it more eloquently than I. We live in perilous times; addle-pated men have control of nuclear weapon making materials and it seems we are powerless to stop them. We'd like to think that no one would be crazy enough to use WMD but there's no guarantee, is there? I was a child during WWII and I still have vivid memories of being machine-gunned, running for the bomb shelter, the screaming of the rocket and the dreaded silence after the engine stopped - these memories are indelible. Thank you for your service, Vickie.

Thank you...
yesman82
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:46:13 AM

Neurons: 12
i will say 10 if i am the winning invader,and sure i will say big 0 if i am the looser...aren`t you?
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:31:43 PM

Neurons: 7,777
TYSON wrote:
Tough question. Almost as old as human-kind itself. I dont know the answer. If I did, I'd win the Nobel.

You can win the nobel just by making 'assurances' of ending war from your side....
Shunyata
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:53:32 PM

Neurons: 81
Hi guys,

Thanks a ton for the answers. It helped open up new perspectives about the idea of war, which I had never thought of before!
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:58:28 PM

Neurons: 7,777
yesman82 wrote:
i will say 10 if i am the winning invader,and sure i will say big 0 if i am the looser...aren`t you?

What if it is fought on a neutral zone??
I don't think it is about winning and losing....
Ultimately, almost everyone loses something or the other in a war....
Like Buxton said, only a handful of individuals or maybe some ideals gain grounds.....
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:34:15 PM

Neurons: 591,579
Carl von Clausewitz: On War.
"War therefore is an act of violence to compel our opponent to fulfil our will."

jinsy
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:11:04 AM

Neurons: 93
i think there is no need war now a days...
people quite educated to this kind of topic
and it doesn't leads to the prosperouos life
of a human nature.....