Daemon
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,384
God is truth and light his shadow.

Plato (427 BC-347 BC)
robisan
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 2:27:28 AM

Neurons: 82,689
Can you please explain the meaning of this quote? I couldn't find any analysis on it, on the web.

Kind regards,
Robert W.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:17:14 AM

Neurons: 2,590,862
robisan wrote:
Can you please explain the meaning of this quote? I couldn't find any analysis on it, on the web.

Kind regards,
Robert W.

Don't worry, it took me a while to make sense of it too. I would rephrase this quote as: "God is truth & light [is] his shadow." Meaning that what we call 'light' is as dark as a shadow in comparison with God.
(I think)
Ozolinsh V.
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:26:44 AM

Neurons: 136,914
Maybe Plato also meant that we cannot see the truth in the night? Seems to me it may be possible.
sandeep patra
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:29:23 AM

Neurons: 122,829
According to my view God has been considered the Supreme and what could be better than it's reference with Truth and Light.
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:37:16 AM

Neurons: 306,933
If "light his shadow" then what is his light? Blinding truth?
blue_elf
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:47:12 AM

Neurons: 70,930
I believe that this quote may be understood by reflecting on Plato's allegory of the cave (implicitly, his Theory of the Forms) from his dialogue "The Republic."
striker
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:43:17 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
and be true to oneself
Vit Babenco
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:54:09 AM

Neurons: 559,249
Wasn't Plato a polytheist?
LucGomes
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:00:07 AM

Neurons: 161
Could it mean that since God is truth, for us to know it (truth) we must be under God's shadow, the portion of light (knowledge) due to us?
pedro
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:12:30 AM

Neurons: 63,022
I'm with blue elf on this one. We unenlightened humans see merely the shadows reflecting on the cave wall. The true light (God or Gods, Nature, The Universe- I don't think Plato harboured any concept of a personal God) is unseen by us and can only be inferred.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:50:36 AM

Neurons: 604,726
Scripture tells us that God is Spirit. Spirits do not cast a shadow. Rather, what comes from God's (Holy) Spirit sheds light in our darkness. The light that comes from God is none other than Truth, because God is Truth.
GreenBanana
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:22:52 AM

Neurons: 20,818
That explains why god is dead.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:41:16 AM

Neurons: 6,386,108
robisan wrote:

Kind regards,
Robert W.

On my opinion:

In this quote, when Plato speaks of light in his "Allegory Of The Cave" refers to the light that thought and reason bring upon our concepts and beliefs which are generally based on what our senses experience give us and is through this light that we are able to see the truth and the reality, that has been disguised by shadows until that lucidity appeared.
The shadows would be our ignorance and disregard of the truth !!
So, God may or may not be that TRUTH, it depends on our beliefs !!
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:14:47 AM

Neurons: 156,985

Plato (427 BC-347 BC)

Applause God is not anyone's personal god. God is neither male nor female. God is the Light that overshadows all the "light" that we "see", illusions and lies of the cave keepers (greedy governments, military, religions). God is not governments' or religions' mascot or clown. Only the minds that realize the futility of material hoarding, only the lovers of free mind and the Truth, the Supreme Goodness can glimpse an inkling of the Light with the mind's third-eye, unfathomable intuition, true meditation that meets the threshold between body and soul.

The greatest minds, philosophers and mystics have dealt with the concept since the beginning of life/death on this Planet. They are the ones who need to be in governments and school systems to teach the way to the Light.

Science likes to deny God because in this area Science does not want to admit powerlessness; and as to the KEN of this kind, Science has no answers and never will have.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:30:20 AM

GreenBanana wrote:

Brick wall Do you understand what Zarathustra and Nietzsche meant by that phrase? Obviously, they use sarcasm against people/cave dwellers who trust cave "light", but not the Light.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:32:27 AM

pedro wrote:
I'm with blue elf on this one. We unenlightened humans see merely the shadows reflecting on the cave wall. The true light (God or Gods, Nature, The Universe- I don't think Plato harboured any concept of a personal God) is unseen by us and can only be inferred.

Applause Applause Applause
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:34:17 AM

NeuroticHellFem wrote:
robisan wrote:

Kind regards,
Robert W.

Don't worry, it took me a while to make sense of it too. I would rephrase this quote as: "God is truth & light [is] his shadow." Meaning that what we call 'light' is as dark as a shadow in comparison with God.
(I think)

Applause Applause Applause
Mv Log
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 3:12:36 PM

Neurons: 39,555
Milica Boghunovich wrote:
GreenBanana wrote:

Brick wall Do you understand what Zarathustra and Nietzsche meant by that phrase? Obviously, they use sarcasm against people/cave dwellers who trust cave "light", but not the Light.

No, there is no sarcasm at all. Nietzsche is gravely serious in this motto. His point is - using Lennon's lines - :
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too.
The Human is free, because he's alone - there is no more God to pray to, to ask, to bow. You are the alpha & omega, you are the ruler and yours is the moral law, you take all the responsibility for your fate. Dare meet your destiny, man!
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:01:32 PM

Mv Log wrote:
GreenBanana wrote:

No, there is no sarcasm at all. Nietzsche is gravely serious in this motto. His point is - using Lennon's lines - :
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too.
The Human is free, because he's alone - there is no more God to pray to, to ask, to bow. You are the alpha & omega, you are the ruler and yours is the moral law, you take all the responsibility for your fate. Dare meet your destiny, man!

Zarathustra speaks figuratively. People with their minds kill God, the Light, but that does not prevent the Light from existing. Religions are not God, and many have seen the hypocrisy of religions. We can be prisoners of the Cave, "the free will" and our own mind as much as we like, but the Light/God is not for our whims and bending.
Mv Log
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:49:31 PM

Neurons: 39,555
We can be prisoners of the Cave, "the free will" and our own mind as much as we like, but the Light/God is not for our whims and bending.

If God is transcendent, why worry about that notion? God has to have an impact on our life, otherwise he is nothing for us, being only our thoughts and fantasies, - tenet, which Kant put forward in CPR. Plato himself made a much better description of the Only One in Parmenides than he did in the Republic, I guess. Yes, God ( whatever is meant under this term) is beyond our capacities, our logical devices, our representational way of looking upon this world - if so, we have no choice as to act as if he doesn't exist any more.
Joy Frohlich
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:49:42 PM

Neurons: 240,520
I fully agree with jacobusmaximus. I do not think Plato had a conception of a personal God. In that way, I would say he was "looking through a glass darkly". I think the "light is his shadow" means that God spreads light. That light is a kind of foreshadowing of his glory.
Rhonda graves
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 5:03:09 PM

Neurons: 3
God, the most high God that is, is truth because as the creator God can not lie. Light is wisdom, knowledge (not worldly knowledge) Thus, God's truth cast wisdom up truth seekers just as a shadow is cast by light. That's my analysis anyway.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:08:21 PM

Neurons: 6,386,108
God and His Shadow

"New Struggles. After Buddha was dead people showed his shadow for centuries afterwards in a cave, – an immense frightful shadow. God is dead: – but as the human race is constituted, there will perhaps be caves for millenniums yet, in which people will show his shadow. – And we – we have still to overcome his shadow!"

—Nietzsche, The Gay Science, Section 108

What is His shadow? Everything that is an eternal and overarching truth. Every absolute order of the world. Everything that lies beyond our senses as rational postulates. Every idea of an Cause, Effect, Morality, Truth and Purpose. In short, every Meta-Narrative. For instance, Nietzsche was deeply suspicious of science, not that it could be used as a means to an end or that it could say valid things about science itself, but as a tool to get to objective truth about how the world really is in itself, to get to a third-person view, Gods view, unobstructed by fallible humans like ourselves.

http://www.highexistence.com/god-and-his-shadow/
Barnacle Barney Bill
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 8:00:41 PM

Neurons: 117,020
(shadow)skiá – properly, the shadow of a looming presence; (figuratively) a spiritual reality (good or bad) relating to God's light or spiritual darkness.
Miriam...
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:55:51 PM

Neurons: 12,634
"God is truth and light his shadow."

I have always thought that truth is the highest morality--the only reality-- and that everything else is a form of insanity.

I think Plato was speaking metaphorically,
perhaps even poetically, by likening God to the sun, and
its 'light' as being its 'shadow'; which illuminates our world with its truth.

Perhaps God is found on the walls of caves
and in the shadows that flicker there.
It is only in our subconscious, in the darkness of the moon,
in the womb of our souls that truth lies dormant like seed of
knowing. It is where all our 'myths' come from that we all understand even without words.
TB Turtle
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:31:37 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
What a great thread today. People of faith, of many different faiths communicating honestly what it means to them. I've read all the post twice, and have really enjoyed and feel better for it.

My faith is best described by what Jacobusmaximus posted. And must say, I bet his wife does listen.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:10:44 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I'm not happy with this translation. Perhaps 'Divinity', or 'Ideal' or 'Perfection' rather than 'God' ( which is not really what he meant at all ) would be closer. I grow old.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 3:58:01 PM

Neurons: 248,087
Daemon wrote:

Plato (427 BC-347 BC)

Regardless of Plato's spiritual beliefs, one cannot but admire the beauty and the wisdom of the metaphor: What we see as light is only the penumbra
of the higher being. The logic of the philosopher is inescapable as soon as one had accepted the premise.

Regardless of what we believe-- juxtapose that with The Old Testament: still no guarantee of sight after several rounds of enlightenment.

""3And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light."" http://biblehub.com/genesis/1-5.htm
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, December 6, 2014 12:27:52 AM

Neurons: 66,996
Daemon wrote:

Plato (427 BC-347 BC)

Think ...So if God is Truth, this would also mean that Truth is God. So when scientists seek answers to questions, and test those answers to discover the truth, would they not then be seeking God?

And with each discovery that can be proven and replicated, have they not then uncovered a part of God? So God is in the Science, and Scientific discoveries reveal the one true God.

This would mean that God is all that is in the Universe. So when folks say God is everything we see, they are correct. And since we are a part of this Universe, made up of the same stuff as the Universe, then we are a part of God.

And since we are the only creature we are aware of that can think, then we are the thinking part of God. Ego, we are God as much as the sea, the planet, and the galaxies; and from what I see on the news, He could stand some improvement.
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, December 6, 2014 5:40:01 PM

FounDit: Testing us with apparent fallacies leading to obvious truth? Brick wall He, He. But don't you love what one tiny typo error can do in the conclusion?
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 10:33:43 AM

Verbatim wrote:
FounDit: Testing us with apparent fallacies leading to obvious truth? Brick wall He, He. But don't you love what one tiny typo error can do in the conclusion?

Well, one could look at it as testing with apparent, empirical truth to expose obvious fallacy, but actually it was just a stream of consciousness thought flow from the idea of God as Truth, and Truth as God...and fun to contemplate...Think

Edit: And I don't see the typo, unless you mean "He", which is a synonym for the species Human, representing the anthropomorphized, "God".
Verbatim
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:07:17 PM

FounDit: I may be wrong but you couldn't have meant Ego, rather perhaps Ergo, at the beginning of your last sentence?

FounDit
Posted: Monday, December 8, 2014 10:48:17 AM

Verbatim wrote:
FounDit: I may be wrong but you couldn't have meant Ego, rather perhaps Ergo, at the beginning of your last sentence?

Yep, ergo was the word. Amazing to me that I could read it three times and never see I left out a letter, or rather, TFD dropped it, yeah, that's the ticket! TFD dropped it. I put it there, but it was erased, uh huh...Whistle
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:09:21 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Ego te absolvo, FD...