mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
First Serving Female British MP Elected (1919) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,622
First Serving Female British MP Elected (1919)

American-born Nancy Witcher Astor, or Viscountess Astor, was the second woman elected to the British Parliament's House of Commons and the first to actually serve. She concentrated on women's issues, temperance, and child welfare and was reelected many times, serving until 1945. Astor attracted a great deal of attention, much of it for her caustic and witty comments. She reportedly once said to Winston Churchill, "If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea!" What was his alleged response? More...
stefan
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 5:21:12 AM

Neurons: 3,293,044
He answered,"Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"
Momsey
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 7:43:12 AM

Neurons: 23,879
I have often been to Cliveden. What a beautiful place with the most amazing gardens. I did not know that it once was the home of Lady Astor, or indeed that it was used as a hospital at one stage. Interesting...
striker
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 10:52:17 AM

Neurons: 4,765,584
leader of women in politics and suffrage
monamagda
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 12:56:14 PM

Neurons: 6,641,701
Lady Astor and her relationship with Churchill

Although a Conservative, like Churchill after 1924, she clashed often with him over Dominion Status for India and British relations with Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia. She was a strong backer of the appeasement policies of Prime Ministers Baldwin and Chamberlain. The famous exchange between them is apparently not apocryphal, as we had previously believed: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"...."Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it." This occurred during a weekend house party at Blenheim Palace in the early 1930s.

Another amusing encounter in the House of Commons is reported to have occurred as Churchill was orating about mankind, saying "Man" this and "Man" that. Every time he would mention "Man," Lady Astor would interject: "...And Woman, Mr. Speaker...And Woman!" Finally Churchill is supposed to have exclaimed, "In this context, Mr. Speaker, the understanding is that Man EMBRACES Woman." This did not improve his relations with the Noble Lady.

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/learn/reference/frequently-asked-questions-faq/quotes
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 6:00:00 PM

Neurons: 156,985
First Serving Female British MP Elected (1919)

American-born Nancy Witcher Astor, or Viscountess Astor, was the second woman elected to the British Parliament's House of Commons and the first to actually serve. She concentrated on women's issues, temperance, and child welfare and was reelected many times, serving until 1945. Astor attracted a great deal of attention, much of it for her caustic and witty comments. She reportedly once said to Winston Churchill, "If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea!" What was his alleged response? More...

Applause Kudos to Nancy Witcher Astor! Madam De Stael-Holstein stood up to Napoleon's military "intelligence". The world needs more people like these two hu-women.
TB Turtle
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 10:11:16 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
Churchill and the Lady were a great wit match. Its a shame such patter today takes a good speech writer or novelist. People worry more about being PC and not enough about communication.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 10:52:56 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Another interesting read, thanks again........."Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"...."Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."