mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Not a laughable joke. Options
man in black
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 11:04:00 AM

Neurons: 1,334
Milan Kundera’s “The Joke” is a squalid novel. The prose is impeccable and its down-to-earth philosophy astonishes the reader with its simplicity and verisimilitude. The writer depicts with accuracy an epoch of intolerance, camouflaged fervor, and stupid feigned optimism. The conception of the book is also worthy of praise, most notably the way Kundera introduces his characters and then smoothly intertwines their existences. A book worth reading many times. He’s a fabulous novelist.
tiggr
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 11:17:27 AM

Neurons: 72
It sounds so depressing! How did you feel when you finsihed the novel?
man in black
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 11:44:00 AM

It left me with a cathartic feeling. Although heartrendering, its veracity and crafted plot has urged me to re-read the novel once again.
tiggr
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 12:55:46 PM

Neurons: 72
OK - I'm sold! Any form of catharsis is good! Yet another book to add to my reading list. :) Have you tried the one I recommended to you yet?
Dreamy
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 5:09:30 PM

Neurons: 10,806
man in black wrote:
Milan Kundera’s “The Joke” is a squalid novel. The prose is impeccable and its down-to-earth philosophy astonishes the reader with its simplicity and verisimilitude. The writer depicts with accuracy an epoch of intolerance, camouflaged fervor, and stupid feigned optimism. The conception of the book is also worthy of praise, most notably the way Kundera introduces his characters and then smoothly intertwines their existences. A book worth reading many times. He’s a fabulous novelist.

m.i.b, given this definition of squalid could you please expand on how "The Joke" is a squalid novel. Incidentally I have actually detected humour in the design of creation, but I suspect this book is taking a sarcastic poke at something.

squal·id (skwld)
adj.
1. Dirty and wretched, as from poverty or lack of care. See Synonyms at dirty.
2. Morally repulsive; sordid: "the squalid atmosphere of intrigue, betrayal, and counterbetrayal" (W. Bruce Lincoln).

[Latin squlidus, from squlre, to be filthy, from squlus, filthy. ]
Romany
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 5:54:25 PM

Neurons: 59,641
I, too, had to go back and read the OP twice.

I think perhaps what is meant is that the book in question deals with the seamier side of life? Or it's set in a squalid world?
Cass
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:00:40 PM

Neurons: 1,770
Yes, MIB, I would like to know why you used the word "squalid" to describe this book. Kind of off-putting.

BTW - nice avatar - is that you? Really?
man in black
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:23:12 AM

I use the word squalid to describe the sordidness of the situation the main character is forced to endure, his shattered life, his scarred past.