mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Choosing new personal goals feature Options
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:50:45 PM

Neurons: 1,825,650
Dear Admin,

Is there a way to have the personal goals feature offer other choices? I currently have only one choice and it's something I can't pick because my internet access is limited so I can't do a "sharing" goal. If there is a way to fix this please help otherwise that feature is now useless for me.

I have been able to complete all the goals set up to this point, however now I won't be able to reach this one. HELP please.

Has anyone else faced this issue and if so how did you fix it?
stefan
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:42:43 AM

Neurons: 3,293,044
Yes, I've come across the same problem. Am still waiting for the goals offer to be changed (perhaps)...
Good luck,
Stefan
TFD
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 10:42:11 AM

LRai wrote:
Is there a way to have the personal goals feature offer other choices? I currently have only one choice and it's something I can't pick because my internet access is limited so I can't do a "sharing" goal.

I have been able to complete all the goals set up to this point, however now I won't be able to reach this one.

If you have completed all other goals, the sharing goals will be the only ones available.

However, we are working to bring new options for goals.

Please let us know if there are any technical issues you are facing with the sharing option.
L.Rai
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:00:07 AM

nnorlen wrote:
LRai wrote:
Is there a way to have the personal goals feature offer other choices? I currently have only one choice and it's something I can't pick because my internet access is limited so I can't do a "sharing" goal.

I have been able to complete all the goals set up to this point, however now I won't be able to reach this one.

If you have completed all other goals, the sharing goals will be the only ones available.

However, we are working to bring new options for goals.

Please let us know if there are any technical issues you are facing with the sharing option.

Dear NNorlen:

The only technical issue is that I'm in China so the options to share are not available to me. I don't have access to Facebook, Twitter etc. I can't use Outlook so unless I could share using my own email source I can't do any of the share goals. If you can figure a way where I could share with out having to use Outlook then it's possible otherwise I will be stuck without any options.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:35:34 AM

Neurons: 32,652
You could just yell out of the window. There's enough people around, one would have thought...Whistle
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:12:06 PM

Neurons: 2,590,862
LRai wrote:
Dear Admin,

Is there a way to have the personal goals feature offer other choices? I currently have only one choice and it's something I can't pick because my internet access is limited so I can't do a "sharing" goal. If there is a way to fix this please help otherwise that feature is now useless for me.

I have been able to complete all the goals set up to this point, however now I won't be able to reach this one. HELP please.

I've got exactly the same situation at the moment. Usually there are a choice of goals, but my only choice is a sharing goal. I choose not to bother my fam & friends, they wouldn't be interested. After ignoring the goal choice for a few days, no other options presented themselves, so I chose 'accept'. I've got no intention of even attempting this goal. The goal section on my profile page has a ticking clock on it, the time left for me to achieve my goal. When this time elapses, I will have failed my goal, but at least I'll then be given other goal options. Hopefully, there will be a non-sharing choice.

It's not a solution, but it's an option. There are still some non-sharing goals which I haven't been presented with yet, so it's not like I've accomplished all other goal possibilities. There are bronze, silver & gold goals for all of the 'of the day' pages & games.

Good luck LRai.
L.Rai
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 9:37:51 AM

NeuroticHellFem wrote:
LRai wrote:
Dear Admin,

I've got exactly the same situation at the moment. Usually there are a choice of goals, but my only choice is a sharing goal. I choose not to bother my fam & friends, they wouldn't be interested. After ignoring the goal choice for a few days, no other options presented themselves, so I chose 'accept'. I've got no intention of even attempting this goal. The goal section on my profile page has a ticking clock on it, the time left for me to achieve my goal. When this time elapses, I will have failed my goal, but at least I'll then be given other goal options. Hopefully, there will be a non-sharing choice.

It's not a solution, but it's an option. There are still some non-sharing goals which I haven't been presented with yet, so it's not like I've accomplished all other goal possibilities. There are bronze, silver & gold goals for all of the 'of the day' pages & games.

Good luck LRai.

Dear NHF

Well I have done the other goals, and the only ones left are the stupid share ones. I too really don't want to bother people with this and I wish the option would be to pass and move on. I don't like to spam anyone even if the information might be good I still feel like I'm spamming which I don't appreciate when others do it to me and so I won't do it! Thanks for your input...let me know what happens when the clock runs out.

I'm so OCD it'd really bother me to have a goal I didn't accomplish when I've been able to accomplish all the others. LOL
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 8:05:21 PM

LRai, the clock ran out, the little dancing guy stood there saying I didn't accomplish my goal. My new option popped up, it's not the same goal, but it's another sharing one, & there's still only one choice. I clicked accept, there's a new clock telling me I've got three days left. I have no intention of even trying. I don't want to spam my friends & fam, nor strangers. I've previously failed a goal, due to a technical glitch, no matter how many times I played hangman, it wouldn't record. I've since won that goal, but it's the only one which doesn't say "Completed on first attempt". This was the very first goal, when the goals were a new feature.

You said you have done all the other goals & the only ones left are the share ones. How do you know you've done all the other goals? There seem to be a bronze, silver & gold level to each of the goals. I worked this out from the Badges page, http://secure.thefreedictionary.com/Badges.aspx
There have been a few bronze goal badge earners, but no silver or gold yet.
I've successfully accomplished 22 goals: 2 Play Match Up,
2 Play Words Within Words,
2 Raise your Brain Level,
2 Play Hangman,
2 Play Spelling Bee,
2 Learn something new!,
2 Who wrote the quote?,
2 Learn the Word of the Day,
2 Read the Article of the Day,
2 Read Today's Birthday &
2 Read This Day in History
The first goal for any subject is a bronze goal, the second time you get a similar challenge, but for a longer time, this is the silver level goal. I haven't even been offered any gold level goals yet. I hadn't completed all the bronze goals before earning some silver goals, so it's not a matter of having to complete all the bronze goals before you get offered any silver.

As I said, I've got no intention of spamming my acquaintances, so I'm not going to even try to accomplish these sharing goals. Forget these goals. Set your own goals & try not to let it bother you.

Good luck, LRai!
L.Rai
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 7:37:46 AM

Dear NHF:

I am fairly sure I've done them all because I only choose those goals and yes I did notice the raising of the bar. It seems the first level has been to do all the goals for 3 days, then 6 days and then 10 days. I think I've done them all. Thanks for being so good about keeping track of the details for the badges...it really should be something listed on the site...don't you think????? Brick wall
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 3:22:44 PM

LRai wrote:
Dear NHF:

I am fairly sure I've done them all because I only choose those goals and yes I did notice the raising of the bar. It seems the first level has been to do all the goals for 3 days, then 6 days and then 10 days. I think I've done them all. Thanks for being so good about keeping track of the details for the badges...it really should be something listed on the site...don't you think????? Brick wall

No LRai, I'm not so obsessive that I've been counting my goals. It is listed on the site. Go to your profile page (by clicking on your avatar in the top right). In the 'goals' section, the default is 'current goal V', if you click the arrow, it gives you a choice of 'current goal' or 'goal history'. It was only when I looked here that I realised some of the goals were silver & bronze. The badges page implies that there are goals at bronze, silver & gold levels. This is how I know I should expect 3 goals for every subject. There's been an overlap between levels, ie, I won some silver goals before all the bronze possibilities were exhausted. So I haven't exhausted the goal possibilities yet. I haven't come across a goal relating to 'Today's Holiday' yet. Nothing to do with bookmarking either. I don't know if these are goal possibilities.

I just went away to check the badges page again. I went to the current bronze goal badge earner's profile page. His goal history doesn't list a 'Today's Holiday' badge. It seems the only bronze goals I haven't won are the share ones. Still, that leaves 11 gold level goals for me to attain, which I haven't even been offered yet. Maybe I won't be offered them because I refuse to do the bronze sharing goals? I'm not bothered. Don't let it bother you. You don't want to be a spammer & that's a good thing. You'll never get the bronze goals badge either, I'm sure your friends, fam & workmates will be relieved not to be bombarded with game challenges by you. Remember that, every time you get bothered by not accomplishing the sharing goals.
L.Rai
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 8:02:31 PM

Dear NHF:

You wrote:

I've successfully accomplished 22 goals:
2 Play Match Up,
2 Play Words Within Words,
2 Raise your Brain Level,
2 Play Hangman,
2 Play Spelling Bee,
2 Learn something new!,
2 Who wrote the quote?,
2 Learn the Word of the Day,
2 Read the Article of the Day,
2 Read Today's Birthday &
2 Read This Day in History

Okay I have done all of the above as well. So I think you are right that all that's left are the sharing and since I won't spam my personal goal quest is done. Let me know if by waiting out the clock they'll let you go for gold level or not. Just curious.

Thanks for pointing out this feature because I hadn't thought to look there. If nothing else maybe what some of us should do is create a thread with what we've learned by trial and error about points and rules. Just a thought.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 7:18:56 AM

LRai wrote:
...Okay I have done all of the above as well. So I think you are right that all that's left are the sharing and since I won't spam my personal goal quest is done. Let me know if by waiting out the clock they'll let you go for gold level or not. Just curious.

Thanks for pointing out this feature because I hadn't thought to look there. If nothing else maybe what some of us should do is create a thread with what we've learned by trial and error about points and rules. Just a thought.

My time would have been up last night, but I couldn't access my profile page, it wouldn't download for some reason. Too many glitches to report on them all, every time they happen. I checked just now: the blue box had a sad face & the message 'Goal unsuccessful' with a box to click, 'start over'. I clicked & was given another sharing goal to choose. There was just the one option, it was a different share goal to the previous goal. I accepted the challenge & will just wait out the time, I'm not going to share. My previous, unsuccessful sharing goal was for 3 days (words within words game), this goal is for 10 days (share 'This Day in History').
srilalitha p
Posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 7:43:35 AM

Neurons: 866,105
Same problem here. I too don't want to be a spammer! Soon we all will be in same boat. Happy fishing for goals!
KylaG
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:23:44 PM

Neurons: 781
I am new to this conversation, but share the same issue...I do not have Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media accounts (OMG, how do I live w/o them??!!). So setting game goals is useless and makes me feel like a bloody loser because my progress doesn't even count unless I "share" it with "friends". I CAN play games and get results on the Windows app, but that progress does not count toward this site, or toward those poor starving children.

In November 2014 Webmaster said they were "working on it". Any progress?

Also, I notice that since I have been using this site each morning, rather than the app (about 45 days), I get MANY more targeted ads when clicking on "This Day in History", "Today's Birthday" etc, and especially when clicking on daily news stories. Someone is making a ton of money from our routine daily surfing.

Off the topic, is there a trick to changing font color & size? No matter what I do I cannot get those to change. Thanks to anyone who takes pity on me and responds.