mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
"death harmony of Belfast" Options
prof_question
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:51:37 PM

Neurons: 659
Could you help me, please? I still reading the novel and cannot get the meaning of the phrase "death harmony of Belfast" from this context: " The rain falls slow and steady, then gusting, reminding me of Galway when I was a child where Atlantic winds flung broken fronds of seaweed onto the Prom during high tide. Before the death harmony of Belfast seduced me". Does author mean any particular event? Was there any significant historical episode or may be something else?

Thanks in advance Brick wall
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:50:26 PM

Neurons: 229,940
I don't know the time-period of your novel, but it sounds fairly modern.

I would guess that it refers to 'The Troubles'

He was seduced away from Co Galway (a rather 'rural' seaside area) to the 'big city' of Belfast.

I cannot think of any particular reason to use the word 'harmony' here - but it does seem to invoke a picture of the scene.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:31:01 AM

Neurons: 58,164
Perhaps "death harmony" refers to the fact that both sides were dealing death: he's being somewhat cynical. And, as a young man, he was attracted to the fight?
Beam
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:45:49 AM

Neurons: 575,946
It strikes me as being a morbid but poetic way of describing (as DragOnspeaker guessed) "the Troubles," which was a recent conflict in Northern Ireland (during the 1970s, 80s, and 90s), with Belfast at the center. The "death harmony" suggests a nasty tit-for-tat cycle of retribution between the Catholics and the Protestants.

And let's face it: we humans sometimes have a morbid curiosity with death, so that particular conflict probably attracted some people in Ireland enough for them to want to be near where it was happening.

The Good Friday Agreement in 1998 seems to have made things better.