mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Fireworks Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,128
Fireworks

Fireworks, which are generally believed to have been invented by the Chinese, have been used throughout history to celebrate happy occasions. In 1789, George Washington's inauguration was accompanied by a display, and today, fireworks help mark Independence Day in the US, Diwali in India, Bastille Day in France, and New Year's Eve around the world. In 1999, Disney World began launching fireworks with compressed air rather than gunpowder. What are the advantages of this type of launch? More...
L.Rai
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 12:14:14 AM

Neurons: 2,032,053
Today's answer:

The advantages of compressed air launch are a reduction in fumes, and much greater accuracy in height and timing

Since living in China, I have to say that fireworks here are spectacular. However after several days of explosions (over Spring Festival (Chinese) New Years) you sort of wish it would all stop. It's one reason I choose to leave China now each year as Spring Festival approaches.
excaelis
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 1:40:12 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Some of my friends sisters ashes were put into a firework at an international competition. Not strictly legal, but strings were pulled. Fittingly the team who agreed to it won. And she was a firework in life as well.
L.Rai
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 1:58:05 AM

excaelis wrote:
Some of my friends sisters ashes were put into a firework at an international competition. Not strictly legal, but strings were pulled. Fittingly the team who agreed to it won. And she was a firework in life as well.

What a concept...love it! Personally I've looked into being made into a Christmas ornament so at least once a year I'll get taken out and admired.. Whistle
On the down side ashes weigh too much so it isn't feasible...d'oh!
excaelis
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 2:10:35 AM

Neurons: 32,652
You can get made into pencils...
monamagda
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:05:29 AM

Neurons: 7,540,551
I LOVE FIREWORKS!!!

[image not available]

NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:19:16 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403

excaelis wrote:

&
LRai wrote:
What a concept...love it! Personally I've looked into being made into a Christmas ornament so at least once a year I'll get taken out and admired.. Whistle
On the down side ashes weigh too much so it isn't feasible...d'oh!

I love excaelis' friend's sister's finale.

LRai: what about if the fam put you in a red suit, black boots & haul you up on the roof? They can have you poking arse-up out the chimney! Add a few lights & plastic reindeer, something nice, tasteful.

In Australia, we used to have 'Cracker night' on the June long weekend. It's banned now, too many people set themselves alight or lost an eye, a few fingers, or their lives. I've got memories of Dad lighting one when I was a kid, it fell on its side & chased him around the backyard. Best Cracker Night ever!
striker
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 11:02:33 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
lead to use in war
Barnacle Barney Bill
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 2:39:36 PM

Neurons: 117,020
In all the fireworks I have been to in America, the spectators collectively ooow and aaah. Is that true of people around the world?
L.Rai
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 5:57:44 PM

LRai: what about if the fam put you in a red suit, black boots & haul you up on the roof? They can have you poking arse-up out the chimney! Add a few lights & plastic reindeer, something nice, tasteful.

Dear NHF:

OMG I love it... that would be great except they don't have a fireplace...dang. However I have thought about being made into a Menorah and at least once a year they could light me up!

In Australia, we used to have 'Cracker night' on the June long weekend. It's banned now, too many people set themselves alight or lost an eye, a few fingers, or their lives. I've got memories of Dad lighting one when I was a kid, it fell on its side & chased him around the backyard. Best Cracker Night ever![/quote][/color]

I had a similar experience my first year in China. We went on the roof to set off a box of fireworks. Here they sell a box that has "rockets" and the they shoot off one by one then explode overhead. It's best to put the box off the ground because the "rockets" don't shoot up too high as we soon discovered. We had planned to set them off on the roof when we noticed the neighbor across the way had the same idea. He lit the first one and the box tipped over on it's side and the rockets began to chase him around the roof as the box spun each time a rocket launched. We laughed at him but then soon we found out we didn't have much better luck. We place our box on the ground instead and secured it with rocks, however the rockets didn't launch very high and soon we were being showered with embers from them. It was an unusual experience and one I've tried not to repeat.

I told my Chinese friend that back in America we have fireworks but we can only buy what they call "safe and sane" fireworks. However in China they only sell "unsafe and insane" fireworks. I won't even begin to describe how they sell them and the stupid things I've seen people do. It's a wonder more people here haven't died from fireworks.
L.Rai
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 5:58:55 PM

Barnacle Barney Bill wrote:
In all the fireworks I have been to in America, the spectators collectively ooow and aaah. Is that true of people around the world?

Well sort of but imagine it with a Chinese accent... Whistle
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 6:00:45 PM

Neurons: 156,985
Fireworks

Fireworks, which are generally believed to have been invented by the Chinese, have been used throughout history to celebrate happy occasions. In 1789, George Washington's inauguration was accompanied by a display, and today, fireworks help mark Independence Day in the US, Diwali in India, Bastille Day in France, and New Year's Eve around the world. In 1999, Disney World began launching fireworks with compressed air rather than gunpowder. What are the advantages of this type of launch? More...

Brick wall People have gone over the top with fireworks, especially for July 4th in America.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:12:51 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
LRai wrote:
I had a similar experience my first year in China. We went on the roof to set off a box of fireworks. Here they sell a box that has "rockets" and the they shoot off one by one then explode overhead. It's best to put the box off the ground because the "rockets" don't shoot up too high as we soon discovered. We had planned to set them off on the roof when we noticed the neighbor across the way had the same idea. He lit the first one and the box tipped over on it's side and the rockets began to chase him around the roof as the box spun each time a rocket launched. We laughed at him but then soon we found out we didn't have much better luck. We place our box on the ground instead and secured it with rocks, however the rockets didn't launch very high and soon we were being showered with embers from them. It was an unusual experience and one I've tried not to repeat.

I told my Chinese friend that back in America we have fireworks but we can only buy what they call "safe and sane" fireworks. However in China they only sell "unsafe and insane" fireworks. I won't even begin to describe how they sell them and the stupid things I've seen people do. It's a wonder more people here haven't died from fireworks.

Hahahahahahahahahaha! How do they know which way you're running?
Seriously though, they really were dangerous. Every year before the ban, I remember the news on the night after, always someone injured, often kids.