mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Nuremberg Trials Begin (1945) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,790
Nuremberg Trials Begin (1945)

The Nuremberg Trials, which took place in Germany between 1945 and 1949, were a series of trials prosecuting Nazi officials for their participation in World War II and the Holocaust. The first and most famous of these trials, the Trial of the Major War Criminals before the International Military Tribunal, involved 24 of the most important leaders of Nazi Germany, 12 of whom were sentenced to death for crimes against humanity and other offenses. How were the death sentences carried out? More...
L.Rai
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:31:20 AM

Neurons: 1,966,188
Today's answer:

The death sentences were carried out 16 October 1946 by hanging using the standard drop method instead of long drop. The U.S. army denied claims that the drop length was too short which caused the condemned to die slowly from strangulation instead of quickly from a broken neck.[43] But evidence remains that some of the condemned men died agonizingly slowly taking from between 14 minutes to choke to death to as long as struggling for 28 minutes.

As far as I'm concerned death by hanging was too good for them, even if they took "14" minutes and supposedly it was agonizingly slow, I think they should have been gassed like their victims were and thrown into ovens. However, it wasn't up to me. I'm just satisfied that they were punished for their horrible crimes even if they never fully took responsibility or showed any remorse. Pure evil!
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:18:28 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
I agree with LRai.
I can see why hanging was chosen instead of firing squad, there's less dignity in hanging, & these men didn't deserve to die like soldiers. If the short drop caused them to choke to death more slowly, good! It's just a fraction of what they deserved. Shame on you
striker
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:38:40 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
first multilingual war trial
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:41:35 PM

Neurons: 7,191,559

More important, perhaps, is the question of whether Nuremberg mattered. No one could deny that the trials served to provide thorough documentation of Nazi crimes. In over half a century, the images and testimony that came out of Nuremberg have not lost their capacity to shock. The trials also helped expose many of the defendants for the criminals they were, thus denying them a martyrdom in the eyes of the German public that they might otherwise have achieved. There are no statues commemorating Nazi war heroes. The revelations of Nuremberg may also have contributed to building democracy in Germany. The Nuremberg trials did not, however, fulfill the grandest dreams of those who advocated them. They have not succeeded in ending wars of aggression. They have not put an end to genocide. Crimes against humanity are with us still.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/nuremberg/nurembergACCOUNT.html
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:59:39 PM

Neurons: 37,072
As, "Trial of the Major War Criminals before the International Military Tribunal..." goes, why hasn't President Bush and VP Cheney been tried?
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:25:40 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
Fredric-frank Myers wrote:
As, "Trial of the Major War Criminals before the International Military Tribunal..." goes, why hasn't President Bush and VP Cheney been tried?

Too right, FFM.