mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Georgia O'Keeffe (1887) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Georgia O'Keeffe (1887)

Regarded by critics as one of the most original and important American artists, O'Keeffe is known chiefly for her large, semi-abstract studies of flowers, bones, and other imagery. Immaculate, sculptural, organic forms painted in strong, clear colors predominate in O'Keeffe's works, and her pristine abstract designs carry strong elements of sexual symbolism. Her work was first exhibited in 1916 at the 291 Gallery of Alfred Stieglitz, whom she later married. What is "O'Keeffe's Ghost"? More...
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:59:33 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
Daemon wrote:
...What is "O'Keeffe's Ghost"?

Answer copy/pasted from article, highlight mine:
Quote:
In 2006, a fossilized species of archosaur was named after O'Keeffe. Blocks originally quarried in 1947 and 1948 near O'Keeffe's home at Ghost Ranch were opened fifty years after being collected. The fossil strongly resembles ornithomimid dinosaurs, but are actually more closely related to crocodiles. The specimen was named Effigia okeeffeae ("O'Keeffe's Ghost") in January 2006, "in honor of Georgia O'Keeffe for her numerous paintings of the badlands at Ghost Ranch and her interest in the Coelophysis Quarry when it was discovered".[31]

Should I use the term 'Sapphic' or 'homoerotic' to describe her art? I don't want to muff my terminology. T'wat authority should I enquire?
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 8:26:16 AM

Neurons: 7,575,345
GEORGIA O’KEEFFE’S GHOST RANCH

[image not available]

"As soon as I saw it, I knew I must have it,” said Georgia O’Keeffe of the simple adobe house at Ghost Ranch, her first residence in her beloved New Mexico. O’Keeffe first stayed at the 21,000-acre dude ranch in 1934, having already spent several summers in northern New Mexico, captivated by the piercing sunlight, expansive skies and stark beauty of the high-desert landscape that have long attracted artists to the region.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/decor/archive/okeefe_article_032002
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 10:27:09 AM

Neurons: 156,985
Georgia O'Keeffe (1887)

Regarded by critics as one of the most original and important American artists, O'Keeffe is known chiefly for her large, semi-abstract studies of flowers, bones, and other imagery. Immaculate, sculptural, organic forms painted in strong, clear colors predominate in O'Keeffe's works, and her pristine abstract designs carry strong elements of sexual symbolism. Her work was first exhibited in 1916 at the 291 Gallery of Alfred Stieglitz, whom she later married. What is "O'Keeffe's Ghost"? More...

Dancing Happy birthday to all whose birthday is today! Dancing
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 10:32:17 AM

Neurons: 156,985
monamagda wrote:
GEORGIA O’KEEFFE’S GHOST RANCH

[image not available]

"As soon as I saw it, I knew I must have it,” said Georgia O’Keeffe of the simple adobe house at Ghost Ranch, her first residence in her beloved New Mexico. O’Keeffe first stayed at the 21,000-acre dude ranch in 1934, having already spent several summers in northern New Mexico, captivated by the piercing sunlight, expansive skies and stark beauty of the high-desert landscape that have long attracted artists to the region.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/decor/archive/okeefe_article_032002

Think What an obvious illusion is our sense of POSSESSION and HAVING something! "Having it" is such an ephemeral and deceiving notion. Those who cannot detach themselves from possession of things live unhappy and miserly life.Does she have it?!
TB Turtle
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 12:39:02 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
I agree with Millica. There is nothing in my home I could not walk away from. Of course, somethings such as art, photographs, etc mean the most to me. However, those things will forever live in my head and heart, there is no need to drag them behind me.

New Mexico is at the top of my favorite see America first list. I was fortunate to spend months there, it is indeed Enchanting. And so is O'Keeffe's breathtaking art.
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 1:13:42 PM

Neurons: 699,913

What an obvious illusion is our sense of POSSESSION and HAVING something! "Having it" is such an ephemeral and deceiving notion. Those who cannot detach themselves from possession of things live unhappy and miserly life.Does she have it?!

My personal favorite is, "The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least."

I've read her biography, there is nothing about her 'relationship' with God......the Bible says, "What does it profit a man who gains the whole world, and looses his own soul."

You CAN'T take it with you....I read a biography once, the author said, "We didn't have any money when I was a kid, but I didn't know we were poor".

hedy
striker
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 1:50:26 PM

Neurons: 5,079,026
ahead of her time
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 2:21:44 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Did, at times interesting work but.....