mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Kristallnacht Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 104,298
Kristallnacht

Kristallnacht (Crystal Night, or Night of the Broken Glass) gets its name from the shattered glass that littered the streets on November 9, 1938, when the windows of Jewish-owned shops and homes were systematically smashed throughout German and Austrian cities in a frenzy of destruction that resulted in the arrest and deportation of about 30,000 Jews. It marked the beginning of the Nazis' plan to rob the Jews of their possessions and to force them out of their homes and neighborhoods. Today, Jews everywhere observe the anniversary of this infamous event by holding special memorial services. More...
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 12:28:55 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Ayeesh ! Bad month for anniversaries. First Goebbels, now this. Many of my schoolfriends had no grandparents.

For all of us, Kaddish

And also, since we just remembered the death of of Hannah Szenes ( or at least we all should have ), here is what the wonderful Sophie Millman has to say Eli, Eli

Seriously, if you've never heard it, please listen to this music. We should all live by it.

Peace
TB Turtle
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 1:05:16 AM

Neurons: 4,068,781
This is Not a Holiday...it is a Remembrance. This should Not be in Today's Holiday. I doubt anyone will feel 'festive' about this date.
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 1:13:07 AM

Good point, TB. Nothing Holy about it. And where would this holiday be celebrated, exactly ? Now I start to think about it, this is actually monstrously he tactless, if not downright offensive. I don't usually look at the Topic things, I just answer what interests me. But this is just wrong. Admin PM time.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 1:16:37 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
The Tin Drum by Günter Grass has a depiction of Kristallnacht that has never left me.
This would make an apt 'This day in History', but I agree with the guys above, not 'Today's Holiday'!
thar
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 1:28:00 AM

Neurons: 101,523
I agree. Not forgotten, but not celebrated.

NOT a holiday.
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 1:35:55 AM

Sent a rudish pm to admin. I may disappear at any ti
Geeman
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:18:02 AM

Neurons: 125,022
I can see this in This Day in History, but Today's Holiday? Weird.
L.Rai
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:38:19 AM

Neurons: 2,208,824
I hadn't planned to post but Excaelis posted the word Kaddish and it made me think that it'd be appropriate to post that prayer here. For those who died and those of us who remember them:

Hebrew Transliteration:

Yisgadal v'yiskadash sh'mei rabbaw (Amen)
B'allmaw dee v'raw chir'usei
v'yamlich malchusei,b'chayeichon, uv'yomeichon,
uv'chayei d'chol beis yisroel,
ba'agawlaw u'vizman kawriv, v'imru: Amen.
(Cong: Amen. Y'hei sh'mei rabbaw m'vawrach l'allam u'l'allmei allmayaw)
Y'hei sh'mei rabbaw m'vawrach l'allam u'l'allmei allmayaw.
Yis'bawrach, v'yishtabach, v'yispaw'ar, v'yisromam, v'yis'nasei,
v'yis'hadar, v'yis'aleh, v'yis'halawl sh'mei d'kudshaw b'rich hu
(Cong. b'rich hu). L'aylaw min kol birchawsaw v'shirawsaw,
tush'b'chawsaw v'nechemawsaw, da'ami'rawn b'all'maw, v'imru: Amein
Y'hei shlawmaw rabbaw min sh'mayaw,v'chayim
awleinu v'al kol yisroel, v'imru: Amein
Oseh shawlom bim'ro'mawv, hu ya'aseh shawlom,
awleinu v'al kol yisroel v'imru: Amein

In English:

May His great Name grow exalted and sanctified (Amen.)
in the world that He created as He willed.
May He give reign to His kingship in your lifetimes and in your days,
and in the lifetimes of the entire Family of Israel,
swiftly and soon. Now respond: Amen.
(Cong Amen. May His great Name be blessed forever and ever.)
May His great Name be blessed forever and ever.
Blessed, praised, glorified, exalted, extolled,
mighty, upraised, and lauded be the Name of the Holy One, Blessed is He
(Cong. Blessed is He) beyond any blessing and song,
praise and consolation that are uttered in the world. Now respond: Amen.
May there be abundant peace from Heaven, and life
upon us and upon all Israel. Now respond: Amen.
He Who makes peace in His heights, may He make peace,
upon us and upon all Israel. Now respond: Amen.

May their memory never be forgotten.

This prayer also goes out to all people everywhere who are oppressed and slaughtered just because of their ethnicity. May their memory also never be forgotten and may we all break the veil of silence that allows for such things to happen. AMEN

striker
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 10:09:39 AM

Neurons: 5,949,235
horrendous
Momsey
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 10:15:30 AM

Neurons: 23,879
The menace and horror of that night always grips me with terror, and I am far removed from it. What must it have felt like to be a Jew on that night?
Momsey
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 10:18:55 AM

Neurons: 23,879
Another thought: It always sounds so pretty, but the violence and hatred behind it is absolutely terrifying.
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 12:39:31 PM

Neurons: 8,702,117
NOTHING TO CELEBRATE!!! SHAME ON YOU NAZIS!

FROM HARASSMENT TO VIOLENCE
In the fall of 1938, Herschel Grynszpan (1921-45), a 17-year-old ethnically Polish Jew who had been living in France for several years, learned that the Nazis had exiled his parents to Poland from Hanover, Germany, where Herschel had been born and his family had lived for years. As retaliation, on November 7, 1938, the agitated teenager shot Ernst vom Rath (1909-38), a German diplomat in Paris. Rath died two days later from his wounds, and Hitler attended his funeral. Joseph Goebbels (1897-1945), the Nazi minister for public enlightenment and propaganda, immediately seized on the assassination to rile Hitler’s supporters into an anti-Semitic frenzy.

Kristallnacht was the result of that rage. Starting in the late hours of November 9 and continuing into the next day, Nazi mobs torched or otherwise vandalized hundreds of synagogues throughout Germany and damaged, if not completely destroyed, thousands of Jewish homes, schools, businesses, hospitals and cemeteries. Nearly 100 Jews were murdered during the violence. Nazi officials ordered German police officers and firemen to do nothing as the riots raged and buildings burned, although firefighters were allowed to extinguish blazes that threatened Aryan-owned property.

http://www.history.com/topics/kristallnacht
Gary98
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 1:30:55 PM

Neurons: 6,258,528
Momsey wrote:
The menace and horror of that night always grips me with terror, and I am far removed from it. What must it have felt like to be a Jew on that night?

More fittingly, the race or people who are strong should ask what must it have felt like to be a member of the weak side? Can we show them respect? Why don't they deserve respect? Should we force our opinion on them? Will we do the same thing they are doing were we in their position?

Thousands of years of hatred, violence and killing may be avoided.
Joy Frohlich
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 4:09:34 PM

Neurons: 240,520
In the small German town where I live the local churches organise a Remembrance (a kind of mourning wake) at the site of the former synagogue. The Secretary of State of our State Parliament made a speech and most of us held candles. The names of all the Jews from our town known to have been taken away to die in concentration camps was read out. A lot of trouble has been taken to find where these Jews lived and "Stolpersteine" which means stumbling stones are set in the pavement showing the name of each person, when they were deported, and year and place they died (i.e. Treblinka). Of course, all German also rejoice that today is the 25th Anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall but many Germans are very sad about the Holocaust.
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, November 9, 2014 5:07:02 PM

Neurons: 563,379
I agree. 'This day in history' might have been an appropriate place to remind us of this evening and night, but 'holiday'??? I think you should apologize, Daemon.

And another thing, 'Kristallnacht', or even 'Reichskristallnacht' was an absolutely cynical Nazi term for this pogrom, foreboding the 'Endlösung', the 'final solution'. Let us not use their language.

Interesting, though, what part this date has played in German history.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 7:07:03 AM

Joy Frohlich wrote:
In the small German town where I live the local churches organise a Remembrance (a kind of mourning wake) at the site of the former synagogue. The Secretary of State of our State Parliament made a speech and most of us held candles. The names of all the Jews from our town known to have been taken away to die in concentration camps was read out. A lot of trouble has been taken to find where these Jews lived and "Stolpersteine" which means stumbling stones are set in the pavement showing the name of each person, when they were deported, and year and place they died (i.e. Treblinka). Of course, all German also rejoice that today is the 25th Anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall but many Germans are very sad about the Holocaust.

Thanks for sharing this.
excaelis
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 7:29:18 PM

I was going to say the same, NHF. Thankyou, Joy.
Peter H
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:35:14 AM

Hello everyone,

I am an Assistant Editor for Farlex and it was my job to compile the database for the "Today's Holiday" entries.

Please let me first say that I sincerely apologise for any offence that this post may have caused. My intention was absolutely the memorial aspect of the day, and I certainly did not mean to suggest that it is in any way a cause for celebration. In trying to diversify the content for "Today's Holiday", I chose to include some days from countries around the world that memorialise tragic events, but I should have used better judgement as to how it would be perceived on a daily holiday newsfeed. I can see now how a post of this nature might come across as a celebration of horrific events, which certainly not appropriate as a "holiday" and is not what we intended to convey.

Again, I'm very sorry for the decision I made in this instance, and I will work to ensure all "Today's Holiday" entries are appropriate in content and context moving forward.

Thank you all very much for your feedback.

- Peter H
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:23:13 AM

Neurons: 2,208,824
Peter H wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am an Assistant Editor for Farlex and it was my job to compile the database for the "Today's Holiday" entries.

Please let me first say that I sincerely apologise for any offence that this post may have caused. My intention was absolutely the memorial aspect of the day, and I certainly did not mean to suggest that it is in any way a cause for celebration. In trying to diversify the content for "Today's Holiday", I chose to include some days from countries around the world that memorialise tragic events, but I should have used better judgement as to how it would be perceived on a daily holiday newsfeed. I can see now how a post of this nature might come across as a celebration of horrific events, which certainly not appropriate as a "holiday" and is not what we intended to convey.

Again, I'm very sorry for the decision I made in this instance, and I will work to ensure all "Today's Holiday" entries are appropriate in content and context moving forward.

- Peter H

Dear Peter:

Apology accepted and thanks for the post. Maybe in the future you can put something about it being a memorial event and not a holiday so it would be clear from the get go. Thanks again for taking the time to set the record straight as to how this came about.

Applause
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:00:39 AM

Peter H wrote:
Hello everyone,

- Peter H

I too, appreciate your honesty. Thank you for responding on the forum with an explanation.
Applause
IMcRout
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:16:53 AM

Neurons: 563,379
Thank you, Peter H.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 5:54:49 PM

Gracefully done Peter. Thankyou.