mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Engineers Develop Safer Button Battery Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,155
Engineers Develop Safer Button Battery

Button batteries, those easily ingested, little, disc-shaped batteries that power things like toys, watches, and hearing aids, are responsible for thousands of children's emergency room visits every year. Some suffer severe injuries and even death as a result of the current these batteries release while in the digestive tract or as a result of battery leakage. However, a simple and cheap solution has been devised that could render the batteries harmless if swallowed. Engineers coated button batteries with a material that prevents them from releasing current unless they are squeezed firmly, as by springs in a battery compartment, and with a sealant that minimizes the risk of battery leakage. More...
striker
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 8:47:20 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
the batteries look to children like shiny little candy
John J. Gerhardt
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:28:09 AM

Neurons: 28,595
Very in formative and interesting, especially to someone who changes them frequently in BTE's..."behind the ear" hearing aids...with little puppies around, everything goes in the mouth and most likely ending in their stomach.
GreenBanana
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 10:08:41 AM

Neurons: 20,818
Candy doesn't look silver.

And how many millions of dollars more are these going to be overpriced, punishing the customer for what the manufacturer is responsible for?
TB Turtle
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 12:35:46 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
There are Very shiny candies. Often used for children's birthday parties and also on wedding cakes. I studied cake design. Shiny star and tiny ball shapes are the most popular. Glad I've never had to deal with this issue, it sounds frightening.
johnfl
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 1:55:45 PM

Neurons: 484,397
A year ago, early in the AM. I REACHED FOR MY PAIN PILL KEPT ON THE NIGHT STAND, NEXT TO MY BED. I GRABED MY IN THE EAR HEARING AID. I POPED IT IN MY MOUTH AND WASHED IT DOWN WITH A GULP OF BOTTLED WATER. THE BUTTON BATTERY AND MY HEARING AID WENT DOWN WITH LITTLE NOTICE OF WHAT I HAD DONE. ABOUT A MINUTE OR SO PASSING BEFOR I REALIZED WHAT I`D DONE. PANIC WITH MUCH STRESS SET IN. I CALLED THE ER AT THE HOSPITAL, THEY SAID TO COME IN AND I DID. THE X-RAY WAS PICTURESQUE, AND HAD A CALMING EFFECT. ALL THE WHILE I COULD FEEL AND HEAR IT PASSING DOWN MY DIGESTIVE TRACK. I REMEMBER EATING A COUPLE OF TUNA AND HAM SANDWITCHES. AFTER A COUPLE OF HOURS THING GOT BACK TO ALMOST NORMAL. EXCEPT WHEN EVER I TOLD OF MY EVENT, THAN IMBARRESMENT WAS HUGE.Anxious
vishalb42
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:12:14 PM

Neurons: 80
Well now we have to pay much more than before for a button cell . But well done safety comes first looking at the casualties it can cause.Applause
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 11:38:33 PM

Neurons: 2,599,403
johnfl wrote:
A year ago, early in the AM. I REACHED FOR MY PAIN PILL KEPT ON THE NIGHT STAND, NEXT TO MY BED. I GRABED MY IN THE EAR HEARING AID. I POPED IT IN MY MOUTH AND WASHED IT DOWN WITH A GULP OF BOTTLED WATER. THE BUTTON BATTERY AND MY HEARING AID WENT DOWN WITH LITTLE NOTICE OF WHAT I HAD DONE. ABOUT A MINUTE OR SO PASSING BEFOR I REALIZED WHAT I`D DONE. PANIC WITH MUCH STRESS SET IN. I CALLED THE ER AT THE HOSPITAL, THEY SAID TO COME IN AND I DID. THE X-RAY WAS PICTURESQUE, AND HAD A CALMING EFFECT. ALL THE WHILE I COULD FEEL AND HEAR IT PASSING DOWN MY DIGESTIVE TRACK. I REMEMBER EATING A COUPLE OF TUNA AND HAM SANDWITCHES. AFTER A COUPLE OF HOURS THING GOT BACK TO ALMOST NORMAL. EXCEPT WHEN EVER I TOLD OF MY EVENT, THAN IMBARRESMENT WAS HUGE.Anxious

You yanks eat the craziest things! & I'm not just referring to your hearing aid & battery: tuna & ham sandwiches? Is that a thing? Was that to make you bring everything back up? I've heard about the peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, which confused the hell out of me as a kid. In Australia, jelly is the wobbly dessert made with gelatine. I've since discovered that it's really jam you have on peanut butter sandwiches, which is also an illogical choice.
Tuna & ham? Sick