mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
"Mad King Ludwig" of Bavaria Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,932
"Mad King Ludwig" of Bavaria

Ludwig II became king in 1864 and reigned until his death in 1886. While the handsome, talented, and liberal young prince faced high expectations upon his accession, his eccentricity alienated his subjects. He did, however, remain the patron and friend of composer Richard Wagner, who for many years exerted a strong influence over him. In time, Ludwig began to isolate himself, and his insanity eventually necessitated confinement at his Bavarian château. What was mysterious about Ludwig's death? More...
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 5:00:31 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
Daemon wrote:
What was mysterious about Ludwig's death?

Short answer: EVERYTHING was mysterious about Ludwig's death.
Long answer copy/pasted from article:

Quote:
Ludwig's death was officially ruled a suicide by drowning, but the official autopsy report indicated that no water was found in his lungs.[33][34] Ludwig was a very strong swimmer in his youth, the water was approximately waist-deep where his body was found, and he had not expressed suicidal feelings during the crisis.[33][35] Gudden's body showed blows to the head and neck and signs of strangulation, leading to the suspicion that he was strangled by Ludwig.[7]
Many hold that Ludwig was murdered by his enemies while attempting to escape from Berg. One account suggests that the king was shot.[33] The King's personal fisherman, Jakob Lidl (1864–1933), stated, "Three years after the king's death I was made to swear an oath that I would never say certain things — not to my wife, not on my deathbed, and not to any priest ... The state has undertaken to look after my family if anything should happen to me in either peace time or war." Lidl kept his oath, at least orally, but left behind notes which were found after his death. According to Lidl, he had hidden behind bushes with his boat, waiting to meet the king, in order to row him out into the lake, where loyalists were waiting to help him escape. "As the king stepped up to his boat and put one foot in it, a shot rang out from the bank, apparently killing him on the spot, for the king fell across the bow of the boat."[33][36] However, the autopsy report indicates no scars or wounds found on the body of the dead king; on the other hand, many years later Countess Josephine von Wrba-Kaunitz would show her afternoon tea guests a grey Loden coat with two bullet holes in the back, asserting it was the one Ludwig was wearing.[37] Another theory suggests that Ludwig died of natural causes (such as a heart attack or stroke) brought on by the extreme cold (12°C) of the lake during an escape attempt.[33]

Mysterious indeed!

I'd love to live in the Schloß Neuschwanstein castle when I rule the world (eventually) with my army of flying monkeys!
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:00:26 AM

Neurons: 7,758,423
Interesting Facts about Neuschwanstein Castle

* Neuschwanstein means "New Swan Stone". The name of the castle derives from one of Wagner's opera's character, the Swan Knight.

*The Neuschwanstein castle was built for only one person – the King Ludwig II. Neuschwanstein is so immense though, that in some days it is visited by up to 6000 tourists.

* Ludiwg slept only 11 nights in the castle.

* Ludiwg was Richard Wagner's patron, and many rooms of the castle were inspired by Wagner's operas.

*Despite of this, Wagner never visited the castle, as he died before its completion.

* The castle is one of the most photographed buildings in the world, even if photography is not permitted inside of the castle.

* There is no throne in the castle, as the Throne Hall was not completed before Ludwig's death.

* The Sleeping Beauty Castle’s design in Disneyland was inspired by Neuschwanstein Castle.

* Fourteen carpenters worked for more than four years to make the woodwork in the bedroom.

* Despite its medieval look, it was built in the 19th century, and it served no defensive purposes.

* The original name of the castle was New Hohenschwangau Castle. It was renamed as Neuschwanstein castle just after Ludwig II's death.

*The designer of the castle was Christian Jank. He was not even an architect but a theatrical designer.

http://www.neuschwansteincastle.net/Interesting-Facts.html
striker
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 5:14:05 PM

Neurons: 5,079,026
genius and crazy at the same time
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, November 6, 2014 10:18:25 PM

Neurons: 37,072
I have often believed that their "madness" or eccentricities were due to inbreeding, somewhat reminiscent of the banjo player in the movie, "Deliverance". Would any else tend to agree??
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, November 6, 2014 10:18:35 PM

Neurons: 37,072
I have often believed that their "madness" or eccentricities were due to inbreeding, somewhat reminiscent of the banjo player in the movie, "Deliverance". Would any else tend to agree??