mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
One word substitution Options
Raghav Mundra
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:18:37 AM

Neurons: 19,726
Hi guys!
Yesterday I was walking down a street when I came by a small fire, and I tried to hold my breath until I was past it, and just a moment later I walked past a garden of night-blooming cestrum (also called 'night queen') whose fragrance was so strong and intoxicating, I felt like breathing it all in. My question is, is there a term for 'a good event immediately following a bad event'? If not, shouldn't there be one?Think
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:45:42 AM

Neurons: 59,686
What an interesting suggestion!

No, there are various ways this can be expressed - but there is no specific term for this occurrence.

And Yes, it would certainly be useful to have one.

Does such a term exist in your language?
Raghav Mundra
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:01:18 AM

Romany wrote:
What an interesting suggestion!

No, there are various ways this can be expressed - but there is no specific term for this occurrence.

And Yes, it would certainly be useful to have one.

Does such a term exist in your language?

Hi Romany! I can't think of any such term in my language, and indeed it would be useful to have one in English!
Saad Shams Nebula
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:39:49 AM

Neurons: 18,666
Maybe we should look for an idiom....If there is any native English speaker who can help!
Raghav Mundra
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:26:55 AM

Yes! That would be interesting, Saad!
AndEng
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:28:26 AM

Neurons: 28,497
Saad Shams Nebula wrote:
Maybe we should look for an idiom....If there is any native English speaker who can help!

Hi Saad Shams Nebula,
Romany is a native British English speaker, more than qualified to come out with some clues about this question.

The only expression that I can think of is "the quiet after the storm","the calm after the storm". But it doesn't quite suit this occurrence.
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:29:36 AM

Neurons: 2,259,501
Devious_mortalR wrote:
Hi guys!
Yesterday I was walking down a street when I came by a small fire, and I tried to hold my breath until I was past it, and just a moment later I walked past a garden of night-blooming cestrum (also called 'night queen') whose fragrance was so strong and intoxicating, I felt like breathing it all in. My question is, is there a term for 'a good event immediately following a bad event'? If not, shouldn't there be one?Think

Dear Devious:

While I can't think of any ONE word in English that expresses the above I can think of TWO words in Yiddish that sort of cover this. The words apply to people and and circumstances.

The first is schlemiel, a person who seems to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The second is schlimazel, a person who seems to be in the right place at the right time.

An example is as follows: A schlimazel steps into the street to pick up a $20 bill. A car misses him and instead hits the schlemiel, who then gets blamed for causing the accident.

Not sure if this would work for you. Think
Raghav Mundra
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:29:42 AM

Hi AndEng!
I think the expression is "the calm before the storm", and you're right it doesn't suit the occurrence.
AndEng
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:20:24 AM

Neurons: 28,497
Devious_mortalR wrote:
Hi AndEng!
I think the expression is "the calm before the storm", and you're right it doesn't suit the occurrence.

Hi Devious mortalR,

I heard of the calm before the storm, like when animals become quiet before an earthquake, but there is also a calm after the storm

There is also an Italian poetry "La quiete dopo la tempesta" (literally "the calm after the storm") by a famous poet, Giacomo Leopardi.

Raghav Mundra
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:22:53 AM

LRai wrote:
Devious_mortalR wrote:
Hi guys!

Dear Devious:

While I can't think of any ONE word in English that expresses the above I can think of TWO words in Yiddish that sort of cover this. The words apply to people and and circumstances.

The first is schlemiel, a person who seems to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The second is schlimazel, a person who seems to be in the right place at the right time.

An example is as follows: A schlimazel steps into the street to pick up a $20 bill. A car misses him and instead hits the schlemiel, who then gets blamed for causing the accident.

Hi LRai!
Your example certainly brings the two contrary events in continuity, but they don't happen to the same person. Could there be a word in Yiddish to describe a scenario where the events happen to the same person, so that we could say "That guy got caught in a _______" or something like that?
By the way thanks for educating me about the other two words. Now I can make fun of my friends in Yiddish, haha...
Raghav Mundra
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:29:29 AM

AndEng wrote:
Devious_mortalR wrote:
Hi AndEng!

Hi Devious mortalR,

I heard of the quiet before the storm, like when animals become quite before an earthquake, but there is also a quiet after the storm

There is also an Italian poetry "La quiete dopo la tempesta" (literally "the quiet after the storm") by a famous poet, Giacomo Leopardi.

I didn't know about the expression, AndEng, but I always felt there should be one, because it's true. Maybe I had a doubt because it isn't used as much as the 'before' one. Thanks for letting me know :D
Vit Babenco
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:40:05 AM

Neurons: 559,249
The word is 'serendipity' or 'fluke'.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 1:38:42 PM

Neurons: 59,686
Which word, Vit?

If you are saying
a) that there is a word for the process Devious described
b) that word is either 'serendipity' or 'fluke',
then I'm afraid that you are mistaken.

If you are talking about some other situation to which your suggestions are the answer, could you tell us what it is?
ellana
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 4:46:57 PM

Neurons: 127,363
What about a 'reprieve' or temporary remission from pain?
early_apex
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:19:46 PM

Neurons: 12,870
I will quickly throw out "rainbow after the rainstorm" into the pile of ideas.
early_apex
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:21:33 PM

Neurons: 12,870
Maybe "olfactory serendipity".
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:53:31 PM

early_apex wrote:

Nice image and it works! Kudos Applause
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:56:19 PM

Devious_mortalR wrote:
LRai wrote:
Devious_mortalR wrote:
Hi guys!

Dear Devious:

Hi LRai!
Your example certainly brings the two contrary events in continuity, but they don't happen to the same person. Could there be a word in Yiddish to describe a scenario where the events happen to the same person, so that we could say "That guy got caught in a _______" or something like that?
By the way thanks for educating me about the other two words. Now I can make fun of my friends in Yiddish, haha...

Dear Devious:

To my knowledge there isn't one word that means both in Yiddish. Now you can be both a schlemiel and schlimazel but never at the same time. Sorry can't help you with this one.
pljames
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 5:44:54 AM

Neurons: 15,207
Interesting you should say that. In world war three, a company of Marines were surrounded by a German battalion. The German officer wrote them a letter demanding they surrender. The Marine commander sent this note back to the German officer, "Nuts". One word. In the end the Marines won that battle.Paul
Gordon Freeman
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:33:24 AM

Neurons: 240,227
I think a mere one bad event is too little to become a proverbial situation. But if it were many unfortunate events followed by a good one, I suppose it would have to do with breaking streaks.

I would say that that nice scent broke one's streak of malodorous misadventures, as it were.
Raghav Mundra
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:01:02 PM

Gordon Freeman wrote:
I think a mere one bad event is too little to become a proverbial situation. But if it were many unfortunate events followed by a good one, I suppose it would have to do with breaking streaks.

I would say that that nice scent broke one's streak of malodorous misadventures, as it were.

I think early_apex's suggestion

early_apex wrote:

goes perfectly with what you're saying. Like a rainbow after the rain, there's always a good thing after the pain.
But what I was asking was that should there be a single word for a solitary good or bad event happening immediately after it's contrary, like being in a roller coaster of emotions while watching a Tom Hanks movie..
leonAzul
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:28:38 PM

Neurons: 31,166
I can't recall a single word, yet there are many aphorisms:

'Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad !'
excaelis
Posted: Friday, November 7, 2014 10:08:43 PM

Neurons: 32,652
pljames wrote:
Interesting you should say that. In world war three, a company of Marines were surrounded by a German battalion. The German officer wrote them a letter demanding they surrender. The Marine commander sent this note back to the German officer, "Nuts". One word. In the end the Marines won that battle.Paul

Did I miss a global conflict there, or what ? Angel

( just poking the bear, pl )
excaelis
Posted: Friday, November 7, 2014 10:10:48 PM

Neurons: 32,652
On topic, I believe the English phrase would be ' newly divorced '.

( obstructively cynical, maybe...?)
Raghav Mundra
Posted: Friday, November 7, 2014 10:35:44 PM

excaelis wrote:
On topic, I believe the English phrase would be ' newly divorced '.

( obstructively cynical, maybe...?)

Haha :D
rogermue
Posted: Friday, November 7, 2014 10:59:06 PM

Neurons: 34,900
After the rain (comes) the sunshine.

I think it's German. Maybe that's what mothers tell their children to console them.
But it may have another source.