mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Bartholomew I Becomes Patriarch of Constantinople (1991) Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,155
Bartholomew I Becomes Patriarch of Constantinople (1991)

The Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople serves as the Archbishop of Constantinople and as spiritual leader and chief spokesperson for the Eastern Orthodox Church. The current Patriarch, Bartholomew I, has been particularly active internationally, working to rebuild the Orthodox churches of the former Eastern Bloc following the fall of Communism and continuing reconciliation dialogues with the Roman Catholic Church. His reputation as an environmentalist has earned him what nicknames? More...
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 8:08:50 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
Historical fact: ♫ Istanbul was Constantinople,
now it's Istanbul not Constantinople,
so if you've a date in Constantinople,
she'll be waiting in Istanbul! Dancing
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 10:23:02 AM

Neurons: 7,550,582
Orthodox Leader Deepens Progressive Stance on Environment

At a conference near Istanbul last June, the chimpanzee expert Jane Goodall spoke about the endangered habitat of what she called “our closest relatives.” Underlining the evolutionary link, she described her encounter with a senior male ape who had a “beautiful white beard.”

With a smile, she turned to the 72-year-old man in the front row and added, “Very much like yours.”

The man with the long white beard was Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople, the spiritual leader of the world’s Orthodox Christians. Fortunately, he is known for his easy, affable manner, and he joined the laughter that followed.

But his commitment to environmental activism is deeply serious, earning him the nickname the Green Patriarch. He has preached that caring for the environment is a religious imperative, and for more than a decade, he has made a point of bringing together theologians and scientists like Dr. Goodall for debates and briefings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/04/science/bartholomew-i-of-constantinoples-bold-green-stance.html?_r=0
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 6:28:46 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Another good read and thank you for the "Green" concerns, your holiness. We in the environmental movements need all the help we can get.... :-)
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 7:16:10 PM

Neurons: 156,985
Dancing Our environment reflects who we are as hu-manity and hu-womanity!
TB Turtle
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 9:48:33 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
Oy! If 'our' (whomever our are) humanity reflects 'our' environment why is Milica doing a smiley happy dance? If what you believe is true 'We' are living in a toxic trash dump.