The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Skunks Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 70,650
Skunks

These small black-and-white mammals are best known for the foul-smelling oily liquid they expel when threatened. Skunks do not make use of this weapon unless severely provoked and then only after raising their tails in a warning display. Most animals quickly learn to avoid skunks because the odor of skunk spray is so strong. In addition to stinking, the spray causes choking and tearing of the eyes. What do researchers believe is essential to successfully neutralizing the skunk smell? More...
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 1:17:19 AM

Neurons: 32,652
One got into our facility yesterday. Much hilarity ensued.

Sanity is not statistical
LucOneOff
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:07:43 AM

Neurons: 591,514
Due to the chemical composition of the spray, most of the household remedies are ineffective, except for remedies able to break down thiols.
In fact, skunk spray is composed mainly of three low-molecular-weight thiol compounds, (E)-2-butene-1-thiol, 3-methyl-1-butanethiol, and 2-quinolinemethanethiol, as well as acetate thioesters of these. These compounds are detectable by the human nose at concentrations of only 10 parts per billion.
MarySM
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:38:39 AM

Neurons: 6,084
I had hoped to find a real remedy for removal of skunk order from pet fur. The popular method of using tomato juice did not work on my white Chihuahua, Super Mario. It did stain his white coat pink. Their is nothing worse than a pink Chihuahua with an attitude!

"He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." Samuel Smiles
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 1:41:56 PM

Neurons: 4,105,939
Once you realize you’ve been sprayed by a skunk, try not to go in the house if you don’t need to. Of course you’ll probably have to go inside unless you have an outdoor shower or the gym or a hotel is nearby. When you go in, do not touch anything, and don’t let your sprayed clothing touch any other clothing or furnishings.

Okay, well you can touch the following things, since you’ll need them for your cleanup:

*Hydrogen peroxide (one quart bottle)
*Baking soda or vinegar
*Dish soap for hand washing
*Large bowl, like a mixing bowl

If you don’t have one of these supplies, please send someone else to get them. You don’t want the stinky oils spreading to the inside of your car.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-deskunk-a-human/
striker
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:37:27 PM

Neurons: 1,364,561
cute animal but i did like getting sprayed
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:22:49 PM

Neurons: 32,652
MarySM wrote:
I had hoped to find a real remedy for removal of skunk order from pet fur. The popular method of using tomato juice did not work on my white Chihuahua, Super Mario. It did stain his white coat pink. Their is nothing worse than a pink Chihuahua with an attitude!

I do attitude adjustments for Chihuahuas. It doesn't take long. Angel

Sanity is not statistical
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 9:08:46 PM

Neurons: 37,072
They are cute, intelligent and sweet little "guys" and make great pets if you get them unscented early enough and, of course make sure they get their rabbis vaccination's.