mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Nor Options
Ketardously
Posted: Monday, March 8, 2010 6:54:19 AM

Neurons: 207
Hi everyone!
Once again, I'm in need of your expertise. I'm having this argument with my husband--about NEITHER - NOR and EITHER - OR. And what do you know, I'd really like it if I was right, but I can't find a way to prove it.
Here goes:

We all know that NEITHER and NOR go together, and EITHER and OR. You have to use them paired up like this.
The question is, is it correct to use NOR in any other contexts, without its NEITHER in front of it? The same way you can use OR separately without its EITHER?

The sentence is "I am not a sinner, nor a saint". It's the title of a song by a famous Swedish pop group.
My husband thinks it's wrong, I think it's correct. I can't back my theory with anything else but "it feels right". Can you help me out? Can you use NOR like this, and for example like: "I'm not happy, nor am I said". Because, how would this sentence go otherwise?

Many thanks (and lets hope I'm right Dancing ).
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, March 8, 2010 7:08:41 AM

Neurons: 6,180
I think your husband may want to concede defeat after reading what NOAD says about 'nor':

nor |nôr|
conjunction & adverb
1 used before the second or further of two or more alternatives (the first being introduced by a negative such as “neither” or “not”) to indicate that they are each untrue or each do not happen : they were neither cheap nor convenient | the sheets were never washed, nor the towels, nor his shirts.
• [as adv. ] poetic/literary term for neither : : nor God nor demon can undo the done.
2 used to introduce a further negative statement : the struggle did not end, nor was it any less diminished.
3 [ conj. or prep. ] archaic or dialect than : she thinks she knows better nor me.
Ketardously
Posted: Monday, March 8, 2010 7:17:38 AM

Neurons: 207
uuaschbaer wrote:
I think your husband may want to concede defeat after reading what NOAD says about 'nor':

nor |nôr|
conjunction & adverb
1 used before the second or further of two or more alternatives (the first being introduced by a negative such as “neither” or “not”) to indicate that they are each untrue or each do not happen : they were neither cheap nor convenient | the sheets were never washed, nor the towels, nor his shirts.
• [as adv. ] poetic/literary term for neither : : nor God nor demon can undo the done.
2 used to introduce a further negative statement : the struggle did not end, nor was it any less diminished.
3 [ conj. or prep. ] archaic or dialect than : she thinks she knows better nor me.

This is lovely!

Thank you ever so much!
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, March 8, 2010 7:20:31 AM

Neurons: 6,180
Ever so welcome : ].
srirr
Posted: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 3:53:35 AM

Neurons: 484,288
Nor is Negative Or. And, or refers to some option or alternative. Obviously, if there is sense of alternative, there must be more than one entity. Got it?Liar
Likewise, Nor also requires more than one entity. Now, the question is whether or not nor can be used without neither. Yes, it can be. However there should be a mention of some similar entity before that.
For example, He does not work in this organization, nor do I. The sentence can be reframed as "Neither he nor I work in this organization." See the difference. The meaning is same, but the use of neither is optional. Technically there is nothing wrong in using NOR without NEITHER.

If your husband doesnt kill me for this explanation,Pray I may try to convince him with another examples.