mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Paralysis Reversed with Olfactory Cells Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,128
Paralysis Reversed with Olfactory Cells

A man paralyzed from the chest down in a knife attack that severed his spine in 2010 has regained the ability to walk, with assistance, thanks to a pioneering new surgery that involved transplanting olfactory cells into his spinal cord. Olfactory ensheathing cells grow throughout life and can regenerate after injury, so researchers hypothesized that they would be ideally suited to help bridge the gap in the patient's spinal cord. Now, two years after the surgery, the patient is able to walk with the aid of a frame and has recovered some bladder, bowel, and sexual function. More...
idk
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:56:27 AM

Neurons: 5,470
Wow. Wonderful news. Hope it can be replicated. What great imagination to even think of using olfactory cells to repair the spinal cord.

It gives hope to those who are paralyzed. We have no idea how awful that must be and hope we never do know. But if the spine can be repaired it would be less fearful.
striker
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:52:16 AM

Neurons: 5,079,026
i believe in stem cell research
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:17:45 PM

Neurons: 2,599,403
Isn't it marvellous what we can do these days? My favourite is the machine that goes 'ping'!
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:02:25 PM

Neurons: 37,072
You have got to truly respect the abilities of Doctors in science & the medical profession. Sadly there are those in all societies and cultures that fight to reject improvements through knowledge and education. One group would be the Taliban, that refuse to educate girls and another would be the radical-Christian-religious right and their political counterparts within the American congress. Why, I have asked myself, what are those very sad peoples so afraid of learning????
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:01:26 PM

Neurons: 74,598
Wow, not often one gets to see the Taliban equated with the "radical-Christian-religious right and their political counterparts within the American congress".

I'm not aware of any Christians, radical or otherwise, nor Congresspersons advocating repression of the education of girls, or beheadings as the Taliban or Radical Muslims do.

I suppose we should all be thankful there are no prejudices to be found among the Liberal Left here in the U.S. ...Shhh
d_marx
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:47:12 PM

Neurons: 2,001
I really hope they can replicate this, because what an advance it would prove useful for the medical community. <3
idk
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:19:46 PM

FounDit wrote:
Wow, not often one gets to see the Taliban equated with the "radical-Christian-religious right and their political counterparts within the American congress".

I'm not aware of any Christians, radical or otherwise, nor Congresspersons advocating repression of the education of girls, or beheadings as the Taliban or Radical Muslims do.

I suppose we should all be thankful there are no prejudices to be found among the Liberal Left here in the U.S. ...Shhh

FounDit,

I did not read it as equating the two. This was the lead-in sentence.

"Sadly there are those in all societies and cultures that fight to reject improvements through knowledge and education."

The Taliban do it one way - violence and oppression of women. The Republicans do it by trying to stop such things as using stem cells and/or IVF unused embryos etc by creating laws because of their religious beliefs, thus forcing their beliefs on others with no regard for people who might benefit, such as the paralyzed. I do believe this is fact and not prejudice. And I deliberately changed Fredric's radicals/fundamentalists to Republicans in general.

Thank goodness scientists were able to get around this road block and found other places to harvest stem cells. I am not sure of all the details - I just remember the news a while ago.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:07:04 PM

Neurons: 74,598
Well, idk, FFMyers did say there is one group (the Taliban)," that fight[s] to reject improvements through knowledge and education...and another would be the radical-Christian-religious right and their political counterparts within the American congress." This absolutely equates the two groups, and there can be little doubt this was the intent.

Now you say, "The Republicans do it by trying to stop such things as using stem cells and/or IVF unused embryos etc by creating laws because of their religious beliefs, thus forcing their beliefs on others with no regard for people who might benefit, such as the paralyzed."
You have just equated all Republicans with the "radical Christian religious right". You make this blanket statement without providing any evidence that this is how all Republicans think, or speak, or act. This is the equivalent of saying all blacks are lazy, all Mexicans are illegals, all women are inferior, and all Muslims are terrorists.

I can only guess that you hope that if you repeat this enough times, you can convince anyone who hears it, that it is true.

In the same vein, I would like to hope more and more people would develop critical thinking skills, and not be so gullible to propaganda, but I suspect we are both doomed to disappointment.
L.Rai
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:19:45 PM

Neurons: 2,032,053
Dear Foundit:

Once again kudos to you Applause You have stated very well the problem when people make generalizations when comparing two "things". The Taliban and the US (people or government) are not in the same boat, in fact I believe they are in very different oceans. Whistle

____________On another note:
While I marvel at what science can achieve I often wonder about some of it. In the words of the Jurassic Park scientist: "Just because we can doesn't mean we should" I believe just because science can do some amazing things doesn't mean they should. We need to think clear about all the ramifications before forging ahead just because we can. If that makes me a dinosaur in my thinking then so be it. I'd rather not face the problems created just because we didn't take the time to think something through.

It becomes a very slippery slope when you decide to do something without considering all factors. For example, here in China it's become a new fad to have designer children abroad. It's something few people know about, but if you are rich you can opt to have a child through a foreign surrogate and that permits you to pick the country, the gender and even other physical features. Do we really want to go down that path? I for one do not think that's a good idea.

I realize that I may be off topic here but it felt that this discussion was going in this direction. Instead of attacking a group because their opinions don't match yours maybe we should consider all the arguments before embracing one side while remaining uninformed.Think
idk
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:43:56 AM

FounDit and LRai.
We have yet to hear from Fredric an explanation as to what exactly he meant when he did not clarify or expand the second half of his statement. We have two different interpretations coming from two perspectives. Your interpretation that he meant that Americans deny education to women as do the Taliban is so far out that I did not even consider it. We all know that is not true.

As for my saying the Republican Party policy is against embryonic stem cell research, perhaps you should check the history, because the Republicans in Congress largely oppose embryonic stem cell research.

Most Democratic Party leaders and supporters have pushed for laws and policies favoring embryonic stem cell research.

If you vote for someone and call yourself a Republican defending their every move, then you take on their values, whether you are a Tea Partier or religious fundamantalist or not.

Yes, it would be very nice if more people thought for themselves instead of listening to propaganda.