The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Stop and Smell the Roses Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, October 6, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 92,709
Stop and Smell the Roses

One's sense of smell, more specifically the loss of one's sense of smell, could be an indicator of impending death. A study finds that older adults whose sense of smell has declined have a greater risk of dying within five years. Of participants with the most severe olfactory dysfunction, 39 percent passed away within five years. By comparison, just 19 percent of those with moderate dysfunction and 10 percent of those with a normal sense of smell died during that same period. This is not to say that the loss of sense of smell is directly causing deaths. Rather, researchers believe, it is a warning sign of declining health. More...
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, October 6, 2014 1:02:53 AM

Neurons: 2,590,862
I've previously heard that loss of sense of smell is related to schizophrenia too. The region in the brain affected by schizophrenia is near the region for smell. Schizophrenics can smell things, but lack the ability to identify what the smell is. The University of Melbourne were working on a diagnostic test years ago. Smell is linked to memories too. An underrated sense.
Gary98
Posted: Monday, October 6, 2014 1:59:16 PM

Neurons: 5,331,168
Loss of eyesight at that age is a good indication too.
striker
Posted: Monday, October 6, 2014 4:02:37 PM

Neurons: 2,240,255
i don't no with age but my sense of smell is zero
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Monday, October 6, 2014 5:47:47 PM

Neurons: 37,072
I was shopping at Lowe's yesterday, stopped in the garden section and remained on the side of the rose section, which seemed for many minutes enjoying the wonderful scents, and I'm 75 and change...
Professor
Posted: Monday, October 6, 2014 9:58:59 PM

Neurons: 42,404
striker wrote:
i don't no with age but my sense of smell is zero

How is your sense of taste? A good friend of mine lost his sense of taste and smell so our weekly breakfasts were very "whatever" and he lost nearlt 50 pounds. Another friend suggested to try bee pollen as the loss of taste and smell could be a result of allergies and since bees are not allergic to pollen, their bee pollen helps the body 's immune system develop the necessary tollerance. Over several weeks my friend regained his sense of taste and smell. Now he has regained weight and he can enjoy his meals...
Desiree
Posted: Monday, October 6, 2014 11:50:42 PM

Neurons: 206,990
A very interesting article and the range of the loss of the sense of smell is incredible.
Anosmia is a complete loss of sense of smell.
Hyposmia is a reduced ability to smell and detect odours.
Phantosmia is smelling things that are not actually there.
Parosmia is the term for distortions of the sense os smell.eg. flowers smelling offensive and food revolting. Incredible!

Emotions,memories,mood are linked to our sense of smell. All pleasures and emotions disappear if we miss the aroma of food,body.flowers,etc.