mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
La Fiesta de Agua Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, October 5, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
La Fiesta de Agua

The Water Festival in San Pedro de Casta, Lima Department, Peru, accompanies the annual cleaning and maintaining of the river canals. The town mayor goes to the cave where Pariapunko, a deity of water, is believed to reside and implores him to flood the community with fresh water. Then La Toma, the gate that holds back the Carhuayumac River, is opened, and the water is allowed to course through the newly repaired canals. A procession of horsemen follows the path of the water as it makes its way to the gorge of Carhuayumac. More...
moniquester
Posted: Sunday, October 5, 2014 4:10:10 AM

Neurons: 87,227
I'm not sure I truly comprehend this festival. It seems a bit odd to me.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Sunday, October 5, 2014 9:01:38 AM

Neurons: 805,365
moniquester wrote:
I'm not sure I truly comprehend this festival. It seems a bit odd to me.

You mean you don't believe in any kind of god or ritual, moniquester?
It's simple though. First they empty the canals. Then they repair the canals. Then they visit that magician-god in his cave (where the wells are), to clean the new water which will eventually come up from the springs before flooding into the canals. Wouldn't you ask for fresh water when you worked your hands to the bone days and days on those damaged canals? And one never knows how dirty that old beard might have lived in his caves during the year, spoiling the wells before the water has a chance to come up. Nobody's perfect.
So the population asks for some guarantees. They summon some strong guys to supervise the result, by means of a procession of horsemen. For diplomatic and touristic reasons, they call it festivities.
I think the Peruanese are clever people, if you ask me!
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, October 5, 2014 1:42:03 PM

Neurons: 7,575,345

Andean communities in general tend to be very grateful to the various resources and foods that nature provides.

The main festival is dedicated to the most important of them: water. Also known as The Champería or Yacu Raymi celebration starts this month before the rainy season (which runs from December to March) in honor of the clean water.

The traditional rite consists of the physical and spiritual purification of irrigation canals. The sea water is offered to the lagoons where three elders, representatives Ayllus, van turns singing songs called Hualinas pending water.

Meanwhile, the townspeople gather to perform work of the weeds that contaminate their irrigation systems, thus merging the logistical work and organized with the praises that pay them the "owner of the water." The food and drink, served as the lure that always accompanies those days of work and joy.

http://peru.travelguia.net/la-fiesta-del-agua.html
striker
Posted: Sunday, October 5, 2014 2:02:03 PM

Neurons: 5,079,026
we have to take better can of the environment
TB Turtle
Posted: Sunday, October 5, 2014 10:52:01 PM

Neurons: 4,068,781
Huh? So they celebrate by drinking clean water? Do they at least have popcorn to enhance the flavor of the water?