The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Nintendo Releases Super Mario Bros. (1985) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 92,709
Nintendo Releases Super Mario Bros. (1985)

Super Mario Bros., one of the first side-scrolling platform games, helped to usher in the modern video game era. With expansive worlds and precise controls that marked a dramatic departure from its predecessors, the game sold more than 40 million units, making it the second-best-selling video game of all time. It also helped revitalize the video game industry and made Nintendo one of the world's most recognized video game manufacturers. What is the best-selling game of all time? More...
Dialectrum
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:54:50 AM

Neurons: 17,968
Really, "Wii Sports" is the best-selling video game of all-time??
MechPebbles
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 3:38:43 AM

Neurons: 226,313
Whenever I see these early video games, I'm just shocked how awful they look.
moniquester
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 3:40:39 AM

Neurons: 87,227
I liked Super Mario Brothers. It was a fun, innocent game. It entertained my children for hours on end. And me, too, at times!
rossalicia
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:58:43 AM

Neurons: 55,870
According to my children, 'Final Fantasy VII' and "Legend of Zelda" are the best-selling game of all time.
ThisIsFlaco
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:51:23 PM

Neurons: 1,610
Absolutely nostalgic. We got this game in 1987 in December right before Christmas. Every store was sold out. I called several Toys 'R Us until one store attendant surprisingly said, "yes we have it". I can't remember what city it was in but we rushed over to it to pick it up. It was a Saturday morning. My dad signed us up for the Nintendo magazine. We ended up buying a few games over the next year, a few highlights included Mike Tyson's Punch Out, The Legend of Zelda, Excitebike, and Kung Fu. Although I lost interest in video games shortly thereafter, I still affectionately recall SMB.
nkelsey
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:01:04 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Applause
nkelsey
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:01:10 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Applause
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:56:06 PM

Neurons: 6,325,512
History of Mario

The birth

In 1980, Nintendo of America (NOA) released Radar Scope, an arcade game they hoped would kickstart a long reign of success. It flopped, leaving Nintendo stuck with 2,000 unsold Radar Scope units. To stay afloat, NOA desperately needed a smash-hit game—and fast. Hiroshi Yamauchi, the president and CEO of Nintendo Co., Ltd. at the time, asked staff artist Shigeru Miyamoto to design a new game based on his own ideas. The result was a game entitled Donkey Kong, starring "Jumpman," a portly carpenter clad in red and blue. At first, Miyamoto called him "Mr. Video" because he planned to include the character in every game he made, inspired by the way Alfred Hitchcock appeared in the movies he directed. "Jumpman" did not have his name for very long, however. NOA had to prepare the game for American release, which included naming the characters. As the story goes, they were mulling over what to name Jumpman when the landlord, Mario Segale, arrived at the warehouse, demanding the overdue rent payment. When he left, the staff had a new name for Jumpman: "Mario."

The look

For the most part, Mario looks the way he does today because of 1981's immature graphics technology.

Hat

To avoid the difficulty of having Mario's hair move realistically, Miyamoto gave Mario a hat. Also, in Game Over, Miyamoto admits, "I cannot come up with hairstyles so good."

Moustache

Miyamoto gave Mario a moustache and oversized nose to make Mario's nose more noticeable.

Overalls
Mario's overalls make his arms and arm movements more visible. Mario started out with a blue shirt and red overalls outfit in Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr., but the color scheme was switched to a red shirt and blue overalls when Mario Bros. hit the arcades. When Super Mario Bros. came out for the Nintendo Entertainment System, Mario had his original red overalls, but a brownish shirt. In Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario went back to his second color scheme—red shirt, blue overalls—and has not changed since.

http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/mario_history.shtml
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:11:31 AM

Neurons: 42,315
I can't remember what it was called, but there was this audiobook on the history of video games that I enjoyed.