mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The Fountain Pen Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,814
The Fountain Pen

Prior to the refinement and mass-production of the fountain pen in the late 19th century, writing with ink had some serious drawbacks. The dip pen had to be continuously dipped in ink, while the quill—made from a feather plucked from a live bird—required frequent sharpening. By contrast, the fountain pen held liquid ink in a reservoir until needed, at which time the ink was fed to a nib via a combination of gravity and capillary action. How was ink inserted into the first fountain pens? More...
S. Miranda-Hess
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 12:51:06 AM

Neurons: 42,315
This article makes me want to try writing with a different pen now.
moniquester
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:14:21 AM

Neurons: 87,227
I love fountain pens and own quite a selection of expensive ones. The idea is to get a new one, entirely dissemble it and reassemble it before writing with it. Collecting fountain pens is an expensive, but enjoyable hobby!
L.Rai
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:28:00 AM

Neurons: 1,966,188
moniquester wrote:
I love fountain pens and own quite a selection of expensive ones. The idea is to get a new one, entirely dissemble it and reassemble it before writing with it. Collecting fountain pens is an expensive, but enjoyable hobby!

I couldn't agree more Applause I've owned many over the years and love them. One of the things I've wanted to do since coming to China however is to learn Chinese calligraphy with ink and brush. It is amazing how nice most of my students can write and many use fountain pens. Kids as young as 7 write with them.
PuddingRRanger
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:19:02 AM

Neurons: 89,197
Just thought of learning to write with it again and went looking for it in a stationery store last month, but found only one brand left in the store.

Such a soothing leisure activity for me who's so tired of banging on keyboard. Brick wall
MechPebbles
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:51:24 AM

Neurons: 226,313
Fountain pens are like vinyl records. A few swear by them but most consider them impractical leftovers from the past.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:44:16 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
There was a fountain pen craze at my primary school for a while. We wrote with the cheap fountain pens with ink cartridges. I use a lot of pressure when I write, a very bad habit, which makes writing with a fountain pen an arduous task. When I write I usually leave an indentation many pages deep. Spies used to read private messages by going over the top page in a notebook with a pencil to reveal the message written on the previous page. I'd make a bad spy.
rossalicia
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:56:51 AM

Neurons: 55,870
The reservoirs of the earliest fountain pens were mostly filled by eyedropper. This was a cumbersome and potentially messy process, which led to the commercial development of alternative methods that quickly dominated the industry. (Wikipedia - 'Fountain Pen')
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:26:39 AM

Neurons: 63,022
The fountain pen was a formidable weapon at school. Unfortunately it left its own version of a paper trail so offenders were quite easily identified.
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:23:07 AM

Neurons: 5,804,368
pedro wrote:
The fountain pen was a formidable weapon at school. Unfortunately it left its own version of a paper trail so offenders were quite easily identified.

Yes, one squeeze of the ink pouch, and ink can reach several feet away. Of course you never mind wasting those ink.
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:51:55 AM

Neurons: 2,138,500
Of course, fountain pens are pretty obsolete, but I still enjoy using them sometimes. They remind me of early 1970s, when I attended high school.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:34:46 PM

Neurons: 156,985
Dipping a simple fountain pen in the ink, does not mean putting it straight on the paper, but getting rid of the surplus ink off the fountain pen tip, and then gently apply it to writing that produces an elegant effect on the paper, and the joy of writing is so great as a thirsty traveler's joy drinking from an unpolluted fresh, cold water spring. I remember when I used it at home to write my homework for school assignments.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:01:23 PM

Neurons: 7,191,559
We asked you for your reasons, through Facebook , Twitter and Reddit , and this image is based on the hundreds of responses we received.

[image not available]

http://www.inknouveau.com/2014/01/12-reasons-why-you-should-write-with.html
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:34:02 PM

Neurons: 37,072
And I continued to use a fountain pen until I could no longer locate ink cartridges for "her". As a fine artist, in undergraduate school 1960's, we had a course in calligraphy and I still have the various & numerous pen tips in my studio. I always felt there was a, "labor of love" as part of the process, which I miss. I think I just might get the old pen sets out and "play" a bit...Thanks for the memories.... :-)
LostinSC
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 8:43:30 PM

Neurons: 1,328
Ahh..

How fun was the fountain pen??

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/Index_Showcase.asp?BOD=/vintage_pens/vintage_pens.asp?PG=0-96&showall=1&s=msnw

Shaeffer, Waterman, Parker and all the memories of nibs, snorkels and endless ink stains..

No one could write with a pen in my 1st and 2d grade combined class (1-12 grade school house) in 1944.

India ink was the worst of all.. Black and unforgivable, it stained hands, clothes, desk tops and seats as well as floors, books and Miss Gallipoo's (yep! that was her real name) memory of those first graders that messed up and spilled that horrible stain across the spartan landscape of her weekly domain.

Yikes!! I wonder how my cousins and I made it thru those early days of institutional training alive..

nkelsey
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:50:17 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Applause