mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Feast of St. Augustine of Hippo Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Feast of St. Augustine of Hippo

St. Augustine is best known for his spiritual autobiography, the Confessions, which detail the excesses of his youth, his career as a teacher of rhetoric, his years as a believer in Manicheism and Platonism, and his belated conversion to Christianity. It is primarily for his writings that he is known as the patron saint of theologians and scholars, and one of the "Four Latin Fathers" of the Christian Church. When a company of Spanish soldiers landed on the coast of Florida on St. Augustine's Day in 1565, they named the U.S.'s oldest European community after him. More...
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:08:00 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
I confess:
Pray I haven't read St Augustine's Confessions & I don't think I ever will.
rogermue
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:25:39 AM

Neurons: 34,900
But it is worthwhile reading it. I remember a passage where St Augustine shamefully confesses
how he got taken away in his enthusiasm during a bullfight, along with the mass of spectators
in the arena. An outstanding document of the life of a man around 400 man A.D.
moniquester
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:23:54 AM

Neurons: 87,227
I have read St. Augustine's "Confessions." I own a copy. That having been said, I cannot say I like the man. In his youth, he was downright arrogant, and treated his mother badly at times. He is a good saint to implore in times like ours, when materialism corrupts people into believing they are gods!
MechPebbles
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:05:22 AM

Neurons: 226,313
The most important Early Church Father for the reformers.
cabezudo
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:46:57 AM

Neurons: 795
You read a book and later forgotten, if not everything at least part of what you read. This happened to me with Confessions, which one is the original language in which this book was written? I don't know. And here I have to remember that famous phrase "traduttore, traditore" what it's remembered, I believe, also depends on which translation you have read. All that it has stuck in my memory is how St. Augustin's powerful oratory saved someone from a rampaging mob, but no, I don't think it was a rampaging mob, I rather think it was a trial and the verdict was given by popular acclaim. I feel my memory is fading away.Brick wall
nkelsey
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:57:34 PM

Neurons: 192,145
When a company of Spanish soldiers landed on the coast of Florida on St. Augustine's Day in 1565, they named the U.S.'s oldest European community after him.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:19:30 PM

Neurons: 7,575,345
The Nation's Oldest City - The City of St. Augustine - Florida

Founded in 1565, St. Augustine is the oldest continuously occupied settlement of European and African-American origin in the United States. Forty-two years before the English colonized Jamestown and fifty-five years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, the Spanish established at St. Augustine this nation's first enduring settlement.

On September 8, 1565, with much pomp and circumstance and 600 voyagers cheering, Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés set foot on the shores of Florida. In honor of the saint whose feast day fell on the day he first sighted land, Menéndez named the colonial settlement St. Augustine. Menéndez quickly and diligently carried out his king's instructions. With brilliant military maneuvering and good fortune, he removed the French garrison and proceeded to consolidate Spain's authority on the northeast coast of Florida. St. Augustine was to serve two purposes: as a military outpost, or PRESIDIO, for the defense of Florida, and a base for Catholic missionary settlements throughout the southeastern part of North America.

http://www.staugustinegovernment.com/visitors/nations-oldest-city.cfm
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:09:41 PM

Neurons: 249,307
"O God, make me pure—but not yet." And so it is, for some of us because we want to indulge a little longer, others for fear of being absorbed.
mudbudda669
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 9:42:53 AM

Neurons: 422,800
I might have to give it a shot !
monamagda
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 11:10:06 AM

Neurons: 7,575,345