The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Julio Cortázar (1914) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 92,493
Julio Cortázar (1914)

Cortázar was an Argentinean novelist who gained recognition as one of the century's major experimental writers. A permanent resident of France after 1951, his works reflect his interest in French Surrealism, psychoanalysis, photography, jazz, and revolutionary Latin American politics. His masterpiece, Rayuela—translated as Hopscotch—creates a world in which eroticism, humor, and play offer solace for life's cruelty and despair. What is unique about the novel's structure? More...
MechPebbles
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:16:58 AM

Neurons: 226,313
I find a lot of this type of 20th century literature very hard to understand. Safer to stick to 19th century works.
LucOneOff
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:43:31 AM

Neurons: 696,826
The Julio Cortazar's Novel's structure is unique because of its open-ended composition, which invites the reader to choose between a linear and a non-linear mode of reading, I red few years ago Hopscotch in the two different way and I enjoyed it very much.
reinsalkas
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:29:05 AM

Neurons: 11,683
I read Rayuela (Hopscotch), but I did not like it. I have heard many times that you either love or hate it. Seems to be no middle ground. I know several avid readers that tried to 'attack' it several times but could never pass through the first half.

On the other hand the short stories are excelent. The Southern Thruway, House taken over, Letter to a Young Lady in Paris, The Idol of the Cyclades, to name some, are a delight for the mind.
jcbarros
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:07:57 AM

Neurons: 9,122
Blowup.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:25:29 PM

Neurons: 6,302,408
Hopscotch - Rayuela

The Unique is that this novel is more than one novel, not only because it can be read differently depending on if you read it in the traditional order, or following his chart, but because is layered. First layer is a plot about love, otherness and casualty agains causality. The second is a theory about language and literature in a time when everybody was talking about the death of the novel and the death of philosophy. The third layer is philosophical and almost religious, seems to be influenced by Buddhism and wonders about transcendence of the human being in a very intimate level, not as a society, but as human beings, wonders if there is really an order on things or if everything is random, if we are an accident from the universe or if there is a mean for us to be here. Randomness is a big thing in this book and is in every layer.

http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/cortazar/rayuela.htm
reinsalkas
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:07:05 PM

Neurons: 11,683
A friend of mine, of whom I am very fond, used to say that indeed Rayuela was three novels, but none of them were well written.
nkelsey
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:56:44 PM

Neurons: 192,145
Why have we had to invent Eden, to live submerged in the nostalgia of a lost paradise, to make up utopias, propose a future for ourselves?

Julio Cortazar

Vicki Holzknecht
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:12:42 PM

Neurons: 61,514
He looks like he almost has a unibrow....