mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Toxic Gas Erupts from Lake Nyos (1986) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,641
Toxic Gas Erupts from Lake Nyos (1986)

Lake Nyos is a deep lake located in the crater of an inactive volcano in Cameroon. A pocket of magma beneath the lake leaks carbon dioxide (CO2) into the water. In 1986, possibly as the result of a landslide, Lake Nyos suddenly emitted about 1.6 million tons of CO2. Denser than air, the CO2 cloud "hugged" the ground and descended down nearby valleys, suffocating approximately 1,700 people within 16 miles (25 km) of the lake. What methods are being used to prevent future disasters here? More...
MechPebbles
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:08:38 AM

Neurons: 226,313
What a way to die! At least, it's not painful.
Alexander Ivanov
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:37:29 AM

Neurons: 31,744
MechPebbles wrote:
What a way to die! At least, it's not painful.

Pray Nature is powerful.
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:10:18 AM

Neurons: 2,787

.44 Magnum is so powerful a weapon that police officers can't use it rapidly. The .44 Magnum delivers a large, heavy bullet with high velocity for a handgun. In its full-powered form, it produces very much recoil and muzzle blast. However, Rapid fire is difficult and strenuous on the users' hands, especially for shooters of smaller build or with small hands.

[image not available]

The .44 Magnum is well-suited for game up to elk size. With precise shot placement and deep penetrating cartridges it has even been used to take the largest of game, including Cape Buffalo. Publisher Robert E. Petersen took a record setting polar bear with a .44 Magnum. It has even been used against elephants with success.

[image not available]

In addition to beating the ballistics of the old .44-40 rifle loads, long considered a top deer cartridge, the heavy, flat point bullets typically used in the .44 Magnum have an additional advantage. Tests performed where bullets are shot through light cover, intended to represent twigs and brush, have shown that the high velocity, light weight, thin jacketed, pointed bullets used by most hunting cartridges today are easily deflected by contact with the brush. The ideal bullets for penetrating brush with minimal deflection are heavy, flat point bullets at moderate velocities.
stefan
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:51:32 AM

Neurons: 3,293,044
To prevent a recurrence, a degassing tube that siphons water from the bottom layers of water to the top allowing the carbon dioxide to leak in safe quantities was installed in 2001, and two additional tubes were installed in 2011.
Vicki Holzknecht
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:04:49 AM

Neurons: 61,514
I think most lakes are formed by volcanoes.
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:38:01 AM

Neurons: 5,949,238
Truly sad. RIP to those who was caught in it
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:18:45 PM

Neurons: 7,687,248
The Lake Nyos Disaster

The exact cause of the gas release at Lake Nyos is still unresolved. One theory is that a small confined area of the lake released gas allowing for the stratification in Lake Nyos to remain (Kanari, 1989). Another theory describes a slow influx of heat into the system causing instability (Kling, 1989). A landslide within the lake is another possible explanation for the displacement of the bottom CO2 saturated layers in Lake Nyos. Evidence of water surges on the southern shore of the lake suggest a possible seiche motion of the lake waters (Kanari, 1989). In all situations, the possibility of a volcanic injection is ruled out. High concentrations of reduced iron were found in Lake Nyos, the presence of which cannot be explained by the possibility of a volcanic injection into the lake (Kling, 1989). In general, a gradual heating from below the lake is widely accepted as the cause for rollover and or gas release.

The gas killed all living things within a 15-mile (25km) radius of the lake

http://www.geo.arizona.edu/geo5xx/geos577/projects/kayzar/html/lake_nyos_disaster.html
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:43:55 PM

Neurons: 37,072
I believe there was a TV program/documentary about this tragedy some years ago. My questions is, what if any has been done in the Yellowstone Nat. Park area regarding the possibility of a similar disaster occurring there?

Having grown up in the Minnesota, traveled to Yellowstone numerous times as a child and worked as a "ski bum" in Red Lodge Montana, not much more then a stones throw from Yellowstone, I wonder if there isn't an "accident-waiting-to-happen" in that beautiful area. If anyone has any knowledge regarding my query, drop me a note. I can be located through numerous websites. Peace my friends and keep the faith.