mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Universal hand signal for "My mistake, I'm sorry" Options
TB
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:00:39 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/12/2009
Posts: 1,437
Neurons: 4,277
Location: America
Depending on the country you live in there is always some way to indicate one's displeasure with another. Here in the USA the ultimate insult involves a raising of the middle finger. Years ago while driving I changed lanes not realizing that there was a car in my blind spot. I scared another driver d'oh! and he was furious ( he "flipped me off" i.e. I got the middle finger). I wanted to indicate that I was at fault and sorry for having frightened him but I realized that I had no universal signal to indicate my apologetic guilt. I think he's still mad to this day.

It seems that people are looking for trouble these days and I got to thinking that it would be nice if there was some universal hand signal that meant "I am no threat, I made a mistake and I'm sorry if I frightened you." (or something like that)

Does anyone out there know of a hand sign that could defuse an unintentional bad situation when the spoken word is not an option?

Thanks

Toadfoot
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 2:34:11 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 4/11/2009
Posts: 9
Neurons: 30
Location: canada
I always thought that you could just give a slight wave and bow to acknowledge your mistake.
TB
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:32:02 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/12/2009
Posts: 1,437
Neurons: 4,277
Location: America
Toadfoot wrote:
I always thought that you could just give a slight wave and bow to acknowledge your mistake.


I tried a hand wave and, because I was seated in a car, was not able to do more. The hand wave just seemed to make the guy even more angry.
Drew
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:07:55 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 1,503
Neurons: 4,487
Location: United States
Toadfoot wrote:
I always thought that you could just give a slight wave and bow to acknowledge your mistake.


I've seen both the bow and the hand-wave while driving. I tend to use the wave, although, because I am such a good driver, these occasions are extremely rare.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 2:34:40 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,035
Neurons: 3,101
Location: pennsylvania.
TB wrote:
Depending on the country you live in there is always some way to indicate one's displeasure with another. Here in the USA the ultimate insult involves a raising of the middle finger. Years ago while driving I changed lanes not realizing that there was a car in my blind spot. I scared another driver d'oh! and he was furious ( he "flipped me off" i.e. I got the middle finger). I wanted to indicate that I was at fault and sorry for having frightened him but I realized that I had no universal signal to indicate my apologetic guilt. I think he's still mad to this day.

It seems that people are looking for trouble these days and I got to thinking that it would be nice if there was some universal hand signal that meant "I am no threat, I made a mistake and I'm sorry if I frightened you." (or something like that)

Does anyone out there know of a hand sign that could defuse an unintentional bad situation when the spoken word is not an option?

Thanks



I agree-- something more definite than a slight wave would be helpful. When these incidents happen, it's easy to just be furious and to think the other driver is an idiot. Not all drivers notice their mistakes, but you did, and it would have been nice if you could have expressed that, plus your apologies.

With the slight waving motion, a furious driver can interpret that any way he pleases. I guess until something more certain is invented for this situation, you just have to hope the guy is over it. I'm sure he's forgotten about it, since it was years ago. But that can happen anywhere with any number of fellow drivers. I'm sure it's happened to him again by now or that he's done it to someone else mistakenly since then.

fred
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 11:13:12 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/1/2009
Posts: 1,475
Neurons: 4,457
Location: United States
TB wrote:
Does anyone out there know of a hand sign that could defuse an unintentional bad situation when the spoken word is not an option?

Thanks



In Italy, it is praying hands together, not fisted but open palm and fingers together and given with a slight forward backward motion.
TB
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:05:32 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/12/2009
Posts: 1,437
Neurons: 4,277
Location: America
Thanks for the reply Fred. That might work.
kaliedel
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 3:06:08 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 340
Neurons: 1,029
Location: United States
I've always kind of spread my hands apart, sort of like a semi-shrug, to indicate that I messed up/apologize.
TB
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 6:14:29 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/12/2009
Posts: 1,437
Neurons: 4,277
Location: America
kaliedel wrote:
I've always kind of spread my hands apart, sort of like a semi-shrug, to indicate that I messed up/apologize.


That could also mean "what's your problem" or "what's the big deal"

Thanks
kaliedel
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:26:55 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 340
Neurons: 1,029
Location: United States
TB wrote:
kaliedel wrote:
I've always kind of spread my hands apart, sort of like a semi-shrug, to indicate that I messed up/apologize.


That could also mean "what's your problem" or "what's the big deal"

Thanks


That could explain a lot of my encounters...Think
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.