mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
If thou hast never been a fool, be sure thou wilt never be a wise man. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 104,298
If thou hast never been a fool, be sure thou wilt never be a wise man.

William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863)
MiTziGo
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 1:31:20 PM

Neurons: 6,142
Perhaps WMT is teaching us that people have to make mistakes in order to learn from them. Parents will tell their children time and again that something is a bad idea and try to help their children avoid challenges and heartache by passing on lessons they themselves learned through life experience, but kids often do not listen and insist on trying things on their own. Certain life lessons cannot be learned by proxy. Perhaps this is the meaning behind "older and wiser." In order to be "wiser," one must first live life and personally experience its ups and downs.
mustabir
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 5:16:15 PM

Neurons: 141
First, it is interesting for me to come across those old-fashioned forms of "you" and "have" stated in the quote. I should say that a foreign learner of English can not often encounter this kind of old words in the vocabulary-teaching books or in other English sources during its learning process!

This quote has anyhow reminded me of the below quote which is sometimes referred to Henry Ford but I could not exactly find out the English version of it so that I am not so sure of this point. It is briefly something like as follows...

Someone who has not really made any mistakes in the life is also the one who has not yet done anything.

I'd be glad, though, to hear the original version in case anybody else knows it already.