mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Fisher & Paykel appliances Options
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:33:27 AM

Neurons: 33,836
Is anybody here familiar with a European brand of appliances named "Fisher & Paykel"? I am considering getting a dishwasher made by them, but I had never heard of them before today. The saleswoman said that they are popular in Europe, Canada, and Australia.

Can anybody tell me anything about the company's reputation? Has anyone ever used one of their dishwashers (particularly a double drawer style)?

Christine
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:14:44 AM

Neurons: 15,842
I always check in my library in Consumers Report. I hope you made a correct choice. Did you look online about this?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:34:35 AM

Neurons: 595,654
The company seems to be from New Zealand though having some cooking appliances industry in Italy. I have never heard of such brand before.
TALBUIXE
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:49:27 AM

Neurons: 139
I have never heard of such brand in Spain.

Here, in Spain, we believe strongly in machinery made in Germany.
TL Hobs
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:27:52 PM

Neurons: 6,101
I first saw their clothes washing machines about 10 years ago. They were innovative and made a simple to repair machine. The cost was more, but that may have been due to shipping cost to get them to Alaska. At the time, I believe it was being manufactured in Australia, but I may be wrong.
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:27:45 PM

Neurons: 87,618
They are more expensive than some other options and have, in the past, been less efficient. Their reputation is good. I know someone with a washer-dryer from Fisher-Paykel who is very happy with them. (Doesn't necessarily translate to dishwashers.)

Consumer Reports has reviewed them recently (haven't seen the review). You can either go the go-to-your-library route, or pay for online access to their ratings. The web site also does a kind of "find what fits your needs" thing.

If space is an issue, if having two drawers and essentially storing dishes in the washer makes sense (it has a certain appeal), or if you need a second small washer, they might well be a good option.
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:15:13 PM

Thanks for all the input everybody.

The reason I was asking about that particular dishwasher is that mine is 13 years old, leaking during certain parts of the wash cycle, and simply not cleaning the dishes well at all anymore. So if I can swing it, I think it's just time to replace it. (My dad said he might give it to me as a birthday present and so to start looking.)

I found out that there is a Sears Appliance Outlet Store right up the street from me, and I went in there last night to see what kinds of things they have. They carry other brands in addition to Kenmore, but this particular Fisher & Paykel dishwasher was the only one they had of that brand. A big part of why I got interested in it is because it is currently on a mega-special, with a discount of 50%. Almost all of the others of any brand run 20% off their regular retail prices; a couple of them were 30% off.

I barely even knew that two-drawer dishwashers even existed* before I went in there. The advantage for me would be that I could run a smaller load of dishes if I want to, instead of having to wait until I've accumulated a full load. Even at the discounted prices, the F/P model was only about one third the price of most of the other double drawer models. The reason it is such a great deal is that it has a small dent on the front of the bottom drawer. It is a cosmetic defect only.

From what I can tell so far, I could probably find an even less expensive dishwasher than the F/P model they had, but it would just be a very low end Kenmore or other brand.

So my mind is not made up yet, but I thought since we have members here from other countries that I would pose the question.

Regardless of brand, does anybody here have any experience with using a double drawer dishwasher, and what do you like and not like about it?

Next question, can anyone tell me how difficult or not it is to maintain a stainless steel appliance? The F/P is black, but a lot of the other models are stainless steel, and I'm thinking it might be hard to keep that finish from looking smudged and spattered. What do you think?

*Is "existed" the correct word to use in that sentence, or should it simply be "exist"? That type of construction always confuses me when I stop long enough to think about it.
nooblet
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:23:44 PM

Neurons: 4,778
grammargeek wrote:
I barely even knew that two-drawer dishwashers even existed* before I went in there.
*Is "existed" the correct word to use in that sentence, or should it simply be "exist"? That type of construction always confuses me when I stop long enough to think about it.

The only thing I can even comment on here is this tidbit of grammar, which I am pretty sure is correct. Since you're using a past tense verb, "knew," in order to keep continuity you would continue using past tense verbs for the rest of the clause. Aren't all dependent clauses supposed to share the same tense as the clause on which they depend? I'm not 100% positive, but that is my opinion.
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:27:29 PM

Neurons: 87,618
1. I agree with Nooblet.

2. Stainless steel depends on the finish. A "brushed" finish hides fingerprints a little better; the smooth, shiny finish shows every little smudge. However, rubbing alcohol is a cheap and easy way to deal with that. (It's often available in gallon jugs at a pharmacy or variety store.)
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:28:30 PM

nooblet wrote:
grammargeek wrote:
I barely even knew that two-drawer dishwashers even existed* before I went in there.

The only thing I can even comment on here is this tidbit of grammar, which I am pretty sure is correct. Since you're using a past tense verb, "knew," in order to keep continuity you would continue using past tense verbs for the rest of the clause. Aren't all dependent clauses supposed to share the same tense as the clause on which they depend? I'm not 100% positive, but that is my opinion.

Good, that's the way I've always done it. It comes naturally that way, but I sometimes wonder if I might be doing that because it is a bad habit, rather than because it is correct. Phew!
Raparee
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:38:30 PM

Neurons: 18,102
I've never heard of the brand, but upon hearing about a double-drawer system where you could run smaller loads depending on need, I simply had to look. It looks really nifty! :D Since it is 50% off, I would consider it. The reviews seem pretty decent and if the double-drawer suits your lifestyle (it would my household), then try it. So long as it has a warranty and people are familiar enough with it to service it, I'd say you're in pretty good shape.

I'd also go with the non-stainless steel. It's shiny and lovely, but oh, I've always found it a royal pain.
Brenster
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:17:05 PM

Neurons: 81
Fisher & Paykel is a fairly well known brand in Australia, and has a good reputation. My wife & I have a Fisher & Paykel refrigerator which was purchased second-hand about 4 years ago. I'm not sure how old it was when we bought it, but it's been excellent. I know it's not a dishwasher, but I feel it's a good brand. Have you considered the power aspect, ie; how the dishwasher rates for energy efficiency? The US may have a different system, but in Australia we have an energy star rating system with regards to how energy efficent most electrical goods are (especially "white goods"). Hope this helps.
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:58:47 PM

Thanks, Brenster. I appreciate the input from someone who is personally familiar with this brand. I have been considering the energy star rating, as it is called here, as well as the number of decibels it puts out.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:47:53 AM

Neurons: 57,489
GG,

FWIW, F & P are considered a pretty high-end product so if you can get one cheap that's great. I've had various F&P appliances and, in one rental home, a dishwasher....which we only used a few times.

I'm afraid I disagree about the stainless steel finish though. I have a F&P stainless steel refrigerator and I certainly don't find any problem at all in keeping in clean. ( Though its been i storage now for 4 years, it will be interesting to see how it stood up.)

I reckon grubby is grubby - and whatever the finish cleaning is always a pain in the neck: but I have never found any stainless steel appliances more of a pain than others.